2017/2018

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Re: 2017/2018

Post by baloo.the.dog »

Ya, thanks.
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
Flinter
Scout

Post by Flinter »

Guess I'll post this here even though as far as I'm concerned it's still the 16/17 season for me :)

Went out turkey hunting this morning and got there a bit before 5am. I had a turkey gobble probably 75 yards away well before light. He and I called back and forth a lot. As it got lighter and lighter, I anticipated seeing him fly down from his roost. I herd some soft calls of hens and thought: maybe he'll come to me first since I'm so close, or at least the hens could come this way later. But he would not fly down.

After about 30 minutes of it being fully light out and him still gobbling from his roost, I managed to convince myself that he was actually already on the ground, just hung up. So I pulled the old trick of moving about 50 yards and calling again, trying to give the illusion that the "hen" was leaving. He answered again, but no movement. Finally I walked slowly back to my original spot and saw a hen fly down from her roost. My first reaction was: wow, I guess they really stay in the roost that long (despite calling in 2 last week which arrived much earlier)

So I just started calling again, loudly now, knowing the one I'd been after was likely long gone. That's when I saw some movement down where I had heard him. As it turns out, 2 less than brilliant hunters had set up less than 20 yards from the tree he roosted in. Which I'm rather certain is the reason he stayed on the roost so long. They got up and left, giving me some disgusted looks on their way out.

I hunt my dad's property which is private. They weren't allowed to be there, but I didn't say anything, I let my presence be their warning. I don't want to get into a debate about private property and whether or not it should be allowed to be posted, but living directly above and having property bordering the nearest town, we would have a lot more people here than we'd like without it.

Anway, long story short, a few guys seemed to have spooked my gobbler and now I'm waiting until my next hunt, hoping he will be there and they will not.

I'm sure Trenton is reading this like: "I deal with this all the time" :) I guess it's my turn to experience it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Flinter wrote:Guess I'll post this here even though as far as I'm concerned it's still the 16/17 season for me :)

Went out turkey hunting this morning and got there a bit before 5am. I had a turkey gobble probably 75 yards away well before light. He and I called back and forth a lot. As it got lighter and lighter, I anticipated seeing him fly down from his roost. I herd some soft calls of hens and thought: maybe he'll come to me first since I'm so close, or at least the hens could come this way later. But he would not fly down.

After about 30 minutes of it being fully light out and him still gobbling from his roost, I managed to convince myself that he was actually already on the ground, just hung up. So I pulled the old trick of moving about 50 yards and calling again, trying to give the illusion that the "hen" was leaving. He answered again, but no movement. Finally I walked slowly back to my original spot and saw a hen fly down from her roost. My first reaction was: wow, I guess they really stay in the roost that long (despite calling in 2 last week which arrived much earlier)

So I just started calling again, loudly now, knowing the one I'd been after was likely long gone. That's when I saw some movement down where I had heard him. As it turns out, 2 less than brilliant hunters had set up less than 20 yards from the tree he roosted in. Which I'm rather certain is the reason he stayed on the roost so long. They got up and left, giving me some disgusted looks on their way out.

I hunt my dad's property which is private. They weren't allowed to be there, but I didn't say anything, I let my presence be their warning. I don't want to get into a debate about private property and whether or not it should be allowed to be posted, but living directly above and having property bordering the nearest town, we would have a lot more people here than we'd like without it.

Anway, long story short, a few guys seemed to have spooked my gobbler and now I'm waiting until my next hunt, hoping he will be there and they will not.

I'm sure Trenton is reading this like: "I deal with this all the time" :) I guess it's my turn to experience it

Man, I feel for ya! Having others spoil your hunt is frustrating. On the last day of season, my dad and brother spend a half hour trying to call in another hunters decoy, thus the joys of sharing the woods with others :lol: I usually put up with others on public, but I definitely would have said something if they were on my property.

I hope that you get your bird. It can be tough once they've been bumped from the roost and knownthat they're being hunted, but not impossible. You mentioned trying to film a bow kill. Are you still trying that? Good luck! Keep us posted!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Valrag
Spotter

Post by Valrag »

i shot my second roe deer yesterday at 11pm. i was almost out of light but my Schmidt and Bender PMII made it possible :D
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Very nice :)
Flinter
Scout

Post by Flinter »

Been a while since I've visited this thread, but the archery bug has bit me hard. I can't get enough of hunting videos lately and have been watching a ton of the Drury Outdoors YouTube channel and trying to soak up everything I can... I've still got just over a month till achery starts here but I sure can't wait! I think archery season should be starting in roughly a week for some of you, right?

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Archery season is getting ready to roll in this week in Maryland. I'm sure other states have seen their seasons start already, or are about to. Anyone seeing anything good on the trail cameras? Got a specific animal you're after this year? Or a new weapon you'll be trying out?
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

All you guys get to start early. I have to wait until October 1 :(
No, nothing really good on trail camera. One decent 6 pointer that I'll send an arrow towards if he comes out. Lots of my spots don't have cameras set up, so maybe there's a big one lurking out there somewhere. I'll be shooting the same bow I did last year, a 62 pound longbow but this year I'm trying some different broadheads. 200 grain Grizzlies. I've heard they are the ticket for busting through a shoulder blade should you hit it. I've been shooting them and they fly just like my practice points. Last year the deer won. This year something is going to get it.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
hunterPRO1
Outfitter

Post by hunterPRO1 »

tommorow and saturday i can hunt, but monday im screwed
"you win some, you lose some, you wreck some."
Spoiler:
Flinter
Scout

Post by Flinter »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:All you guys get to start early. I have to wait until October 1 :(
No, nothing really good on trail camera. One decent 6 pointer that I'll send an arrow towards if he comes out. Lots of my spots don't have cameras set up, so maybe there's a big one lurking out there somewhere. I'll be shooting the same bow I did last year, a 62 pound longbow but this year I'm trying some different broadheads. 200 grain Grizzlies. I've heard they are the ticket for busting through a shoulder blade should you hit it. I've been shooting them and they fly just like my practice points. Last year the deer won. This year something is going to get it.
When does your season start? Sep 30th here. So psyched :D

Return to “The Great Outdoors”