2017/2018

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Raptor02
Outfitter

Re: 2017/2018

Post by Raptor02 »

Thank you. This is the second time we’ve lost a friend to an accidental discharge. A few years ago another friend who was a sheriff was at the range when another officers weapon discharged and he caught a ricochet under his vest. Weapon safety is so ridiculously important. Even though both of these guys were some of the most well trained people I know, dumb stuff still happens. I won’t even walk into the woods with someone that I’ve witnessed carelessly handling a firearm. Nobody else should either.
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Damn. That's sad. My condolences.
We once lost a forest warden the same way.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

That's awful! So sorry to hear about that! My condolences for his friends and family.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
james990
Outfitter

Post by james990 »

Hi guys last weekend was the opening of my states duck season. We had a very dry summer so many lakes and swamps are dry. However there are still plenty of permanent water bodies and ones that are environmentally filled.

I shot on Lake Cullen a lake near the popular duck hunting town of Kerang in Victoria, Australia. We shot 10 Grey Teal, 5 Pacific Black Duck and 2 Pink Eared Duck between 3 of us. We should of got our bag limit of 30 (10 each) if it wasn't for protesters entering the water and standing next to us!

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Nice James. Looks like fun.

Got my turkey license. Can't wait for season :D

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Got some news from ye olde Germany again.
I was able to down these two boars on March 31st with the Heym 21 Super Classic. Both at roughly 40 meters and both weighing roughly 70lbs field dressed.
Since we had a full moon that day, a friend and I were both out hunting for boars from stands.
The first one came out around 8:30PM together with 4 other boars. As soon as I had identified it and it stood broadside, I let the 8x57 196gr. Bonded Softpoint fly.
From the hit through the shoulder blade and both lungs, the boar dropped as if it had been struck by lightning.
After another hour or so I could hear some movement again. I took a look through my binos and saw three more wild boars.
After a bit of adjustment, I raised my rifle, switched on the illuminated dot and took it off safe.
Resting the forearm on the sling, and following the movement of the last boar, I placed the dot on it's shoulder. As it stopped, I pulled the trigger.
This boar, too dropped right in it's tracks with the shot a bit farther down, hitting the heart, shoulder and both lungs.
My buddy didn't see any pigs that day, but that's hunting, too ain't it?
Anyways thanks go out to my dad for helping me with the photo.

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

MooseHunter330 wrote:Got some news from ye olde Germany again.
Anyways thanks go out to my dad for helping me with the photo.

MH330......... you've been doing some great hunting,.. and looks that you are a proven exceptional young hunter........
Do you smoke any of that meat, because I've seen you get quite a bit................... :D
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Hehe thanks! I don't do a lot of meat smoking usually, but I've been thinking about bringing some ribs, bacon and ham to our local butcher to smoke.
So usually we just vacuum seal the meat after about 3-6 days of hanging at 2°C and then freeze it.
And yes- I take pride in my style :mrgreen: . But I ditched the field cap.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Nice shooting. If it weren't for the fact that bowhunting isn't legal there, I'd go to Germany to buy. Looks like you guys do pretty well over there :)

Turkey season is almost here!!!

CalloftheWild

Post by CalloftheWild »

First Gobbler!
I got it in central Kansas at the end of the youth season.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”