Need advice (LONG POST)

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Re: Need advice (LONG POST)

Post by JackRbbt »

Radamus wrote:...
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true.
I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me
Master Len zen-shooting! ;)
Spoiler:

Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Radamus wrote:This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true.
I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me
I think I may have heard that somewhere... :D :D :D Ooh-Rah! Image

As for the 30-06 vs 45-70. I would go with the 30-06 unless I planned on hunting some much larger game with it (Elk, Moose, Brown Bear)

If you're deadset on a lever action, I would also recommend looking at the Win 30-30. Plenty of punch for deer sized game & smaller, lighter to carry, cheaper ammo, easy to handle in the type of area you're hunting.

Of course, the "best" rifle for you is the one you feel the most comfortable & confident with.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Buckkiller4
Hunter

Post by Buckkiller4 »

Radamus wrote:...This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My great grandfather told me to say this my first time shooting. I asked him where he heard it. He told me he heard in the 40's, when he was a soldier in WWII. He was one who stormed Normandy on D-Day
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Buckkiller4 wrote:
Radamus wrote:...This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My great grandfather told me to say this my first time shooting. I asked him where he heard it. He told me he heard in the 40's, when he was a soldier in WWII. He was one who stormed Normandy on D-Day
This is the first segment of "Rifleman's Creed" of the Marines - That is incredible to have had the experience with your Gr. grandfather. My Grandmother who is now 95 was a Rosie building planes in Mi. while my Grandfather was an electrician wiring them. She eventually retired from the Pentagon as a secretary in the Navy dept and it's amazing to drag amazing stories out of her from that period .... Sorry for being so way off topic but, I can't help but brag about my grandma :D
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Ignore this post.
Last edited by InstinctiveArcher on January 26th, 2017, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Buckkiller4
Hunter

Post by Buckkiller4 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Long Black Train - Josh Turner(?)

I walk the line - Johnny Cash

Heartland and Amarillo by morning - George Strait
what was the point of this?
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Buckkiller4 wrote:

Ha! Thought I was in the music thread! :oops:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

Buckkiller4 wrote:

I think he meant to put it in the what songs are you currently listening to column.
Buckkiller4
Hunter

Post by Buckkiller4 »

no problem lol I've done it too, just wondering why you did it. Great music though!
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

I'm a couple of miles from Arkansas but neways, I would get a .45-70, great for deer as long as you dont shoot directly in the shoulder, but more importantly, we have a bunch of hogs which need a-lot of knock down power, which the .45-70 is best. versatilty is better than perfection and specificality
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!

Return to “The Great Outdoors”