2016/2017 Hunting and trapping season

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
gas56
Outfitter

Re: 2016/2017 Hunting and trapping season

Post by gas56 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
Radamus wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:Probably came across the spot where I relieved myself by a tree and got intimidated. :lol:
Or he was hiding in the woods and saw you and decided he's going the opposite way :lol: ~ Hey, if you're going to lay it on make sure one coat is thick enough :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope I don't cause any nightmares during his hibernation.
I wouldn't worry about the Bear's nightmares.
That bear sounded to be an smart survivor.
Now he knows where you come in at and he'll be laying in wait for your return so he can have his last supper for the season..... :shock:

A snow bank stops you from hunting?
Take along a shovel or plow through it...... :lol:

If you can't get er done that way, then talk to the authority who's in charge of that public hunting land ;)
Bow Seasons usually go well past January, and I wouldn't let a little pile of snow ruin the rest of my season.
Last edited by gas56 on December 29th, 2016, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

gas56 wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:
Radamus wrote: Or he was hiding in the woods and saw you and decided he's going the opposite way :lol: ~ Hey, if you're going to lay it on make sure one coat is thick enough :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope I don't cause any nightmares during his hibernation.
I wouldn't worry about his nightmares.
That bear sounded to be an smart ambusher.
Now he knows where you come in at and he'll be laying in wait for your return so he can have his well needed winter meal..... :shock:

A snow bank stops you from hunting?
Take along a shovel or plow through it...... :lol:

If you can't get er done that way, then talk to the authority who's in charge of that public hunting land ;)
Bow Seasons usually go well past January, and I wouldn't let a little mishap ruin the rest of my season.
If I had taken the time to shovel it out, then I would never have made it to the woods in time. Besides, everything melted and then froze up again so theres no way to move it. I though about plowing through it, but I really don't want to mess up my truck.
I moved on to a different spot, but since our bow season ends on January 1st, I might just have to give it up. This will be the first year since I've started hunting that I haven't killed a deer, and I've hunted harder this year than any other year.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:This will be the first year since I've started hunting that I haven't killed a deer, and I've hunted harder this year than any other year.
A late season Deer would be nice wouldn't it? Ohio bow season goes up into February. But we still have a 3 day muzzle-loader season at the beginning of January.
My sister took a picture of some WT deer in a public hunting grounds across the road from the house where I grew up at a few days ago, and to my surprise there were 3 does, a small buck and
an enormous antlered big Buck with 6 tines on each side and numerous stickers. Maybe I'll post the picture since it was a digital camera.
Some of those big bucks survive because a lot of hunters don't stick out the last part of the season when everything gets cold & dreary. If I was your age and in good health, I would be after that deer until the closing day.
Seeing something like that enthuses the heck out of me !!!
Well anyways... good luck with your hunting and I hope you bag a late season deer.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Well, dart him, load him onto a cattle trailer, then drive up here and turn him loose. Even I might be able to get him if he's still a bit woozy from the tranquilizer :lol:

We are getting a really heavy snow right now, so I'll be able to have some tracking snow. I'm planning a long still hunt through the swamp tomorrow, so we'll see what happens. I'm not picky, and if I can sneak up on a big doe, l try and put her in the freezer.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Well, it's over. I feel like I should write out some lengthy, multi-paragraph story about it, but I won't. It always ends the same: sitting in the woods on the last evening, watching the sun slowly sinking and feeling absolutely powerless as I watch another deer season come to an end. I just couldn't leave this year. I sat in the swamp long past dark, just reflecting and thinking back over the season. The highs and lows, the close calls that put my heart in my throat, even the screwballs hell bent on ruining my season. When totaled up, I hunted exactly 50 times and spent just over 120 hours in the woods. I averaged 2.3 deer per sit, and saw a grand total of 1 legal buck, 2 if you count the one that my brother shot. Been a tough season, but I'm looking forward to next year. To all of you who are lucky enough to live where your season is still going, I wish you the best of luck! Happy hunting everyone! :)

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Well, it's over. I feel like I should write out some lengthy, multi-paragraph story about it, but I won't. It always ends the same: sitting in the woods on the last evening, watching the sun slowly sinking and feeling absolutely powerless as I watch another deer season come to an end. I just couldn't leave this year. I sat in the swamp long past dark, just reflecting and thinking back over the season. The highs and lows, the close calls that put my heart in my throat, even the screwballs hell bent on ruining my season. When totaled up, I hunted exactly 50 times and spent just over 120 hours in the woods. I averaged 2.3 deer per sit, and saw a grand total of 1 legal buck, 2 if you count the one that my brother shot. Been a tough season, but I'm looking forward to next year. To all of you who are lucky enough to live where your season is still going, I wish you the best of luck! Happy hunting everyone! :)
This is exactly why a Hunting Sim wouldn't fly - unless you've been out there you don't know how much it takes sometimes but it's all the things that happen you don't expect that make it worth it, all the other animals, the bugs the craziness that is nature, that's the really cool stuff.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Flinter
Scout

Post by Flinter »

Got about a week left of flintlock season to try and put my last tag on a doe, it got super cold here today so they might start hitting the fields a bit earlier.

@InstictiveArcher, everyone has a down season, mine was last year, thanks for keeping us entertained with stories tho! [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
chinook2835
Tracker

Post by chinook2835 »

Wow that's a late season on deer, bet it's cold as hell
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

I shot this bruiser on the last day of the Ohio muzzle-loader deer season.
Talk about being cold, it was around 14 degree's outside about 8:30 a.m. in the morning and warmed up to around 26 degree's about 1:10 p.m in the afternoon when I shot this 12 point buck with my Hawken .50 cal. frontloader. I spotted it and another smaller buck tagging along with 4 does where I'd recently heard it was hanging out on my families property.
I guess there is something called luck because I never even thought I would get close enough to get a shot off at this deer.
It's always the unpredictable ways that Whitetails just incredibly appear when you least expect them, but there it was...
showed up for the last day and gave me an opportunity to shoot and get a nice rack and a whole lot of deer meat.
Last edited by gas56 on January 10th, 2017, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Nice buck gas! Odd colored picture, but looks cool. :)

Return to “The Great Outdoors”