Duck hunting video

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Re: Duck hunting video

Post by baloo.the.dog »

roost hunting (that's your magic word you were looking for) is illegal here in the states
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

baloo.the.dog wrote:roost hunting (that's your magic word you were looking for) is illegal here in the states
Only if you're shooting outside of legal shooting hours, which is usually 1/2 before sunrise until sunset. While many duck hunters consider roost shooting to be "bad form" or unsporting, I'm not aware of it be explicitly illegal anywhere in the U.S.
Personal Bests...
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Fletchette wrote:
baloo.the.dog wrote:roost hunting (that's your magic word you were looking for) is illegal here in the states
Only if you're shooting outside of legal shooting hours, which is usually 1/2 before sunrise until sunset. While many duck hunters consider roost shooting to be "bad form" or unsporting, I'm not aware of it be explicitly illegal anywhere in the U.S.
Exactly. Just like shooting a partridge on the ground isn't considered sporting. However, it's not illegal.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

Fletchette wrote:
the only time they come to the roost is in illegal shooting hours ;)

Roll Tide!!
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

baloo.the.dog wrote:
Fletchette wrote:
Well, that's not what you said, now is it? ;) (You could have just said, "Oops, I was wrong.")

Also it's not true that birds ONLY come to the roosting areas after dark, and always leave before legal shooting hours ( 1/2 hour before sunrise).

Depending on the weather, some birds may stay on the roost after sunrise. Other flocks will often return to the roosting areas in late morning or early afternoon for a while. They may not be "roosting", but they are there. Sometimes just resting after feeding all morning, other times they returned to the perceived "safety" of the roost because they were shot off the feeding grounds or sloughs.

Also, don't assume that waterfowl behave the same everywhere. Whether you are hunting migrating birds or wintering birds makes a big difference.

There is a large roosting area about 5 miles from my house, actually a flooded quarry, that has thousands of birds on it every night. Although most of them leave at or around dawn to feed in the fields, I can drive past it almost any time of the day and there will be at least some birds still there. Sometimes only a few dozen, other times hundreds. The farmer that owns it doesn't let anyone hunt it, because he doesn't want the roost to be "busted".
Personal Bests...
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

Fletchette wrote:
baloo.the.dog wrote:
Fletchette wrote: Only if you're shooting outside of legal shooting hours, which is usually 1/2 before sunrise until sunset. While many duck hunters consider roost shooting to be "bad form" or unsporting, I'm not aware of it be explicitly illegal anywhere in the U.S.
Well, that's not what you said, now is it? ;) (You could have just said, "Oops, I was wrong.")

Also it's not true that birds ONLY come to the roosting areas after dark, and always leave before legal shooting hours ( 1/2 hour before sunrise).

Depending on the weather, some birds may stay on the roost after sunrise. Other flocks will often return to the roosting areas in late morning or early afternoon for a while. They may not be "roosting", but they are there. Sometimes just resting after feeding all morning, other times they returned to the perceived "safety" of the roost because they were shot off the feeding grounds or sloughs.

Also, don't assume that waterfowl behave the same everywhere. Whether you are hunting migrating birds or wintering birds makes a big difference.

There is a large roosting area about 5 miles from my house, actually a flooded quarry, that has thousands of birds on it every night. Although most of them leave at or around dawn to feed in the fields, I can drive past it almost any time of the day and there will be at least some birds still there. Sometimes only a few dozen, other times hundreds. The farmer that owns it doesn't let anyone hunt it, because he doesn't want the roost to be "busted".
I wasn't assuming all waterfowl behave(different location/behavior=different laws) the same that's why in my first reply I said "here in the states" which I meant Louisiana and Mississippi
and I was also specifying about afternoon hunts because here they come in at more like 5 minutes til sunset, but I understand what you meant

Roll Tide!!

Return to “The Great Outdoors”