Roe deer adventure

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
ExeQtoR87

Roe deer adventure

Post by ExeQtoR87 »

Hey guys this year i got my new roe deer - fallow deer - wild boar license! I'm so happy about it i had to pass a couple of exams and one was very hard so i had to study for a couple of months. I got the highest vote so now for this year i can hunt 3 animals 1 roe deer yearling, 1 roe deer chevrette and a baby roe deer. I'm now tryng to hunt the yearling because for the female and the puppy i will have to wait until this winter. Here are some pics of my hunting zone and my new CZ 550 Lux in .308. In future i will post more pics to let you know how my hunting adventure is going 8)

Cartoon Head
Hunter

Re: Roe deer adventure

Post by Cartoon Head »

Nice, your hunting grounds look amazing too.

Keep the pictures coming.
killertut
Master Hunter

Post by killertut »

what a beautiful rifle :D

Feedback on my work as a moderator is always welcome!
ExeQtoR87

Post by ExeQtoR87 »

Thanks friends 8)
Cartoon Head
Hunter

Post by Cartoon Head »

You say it took months for the exam, can you give us a quick overview of the kind of thing you had to study?
Are you glad you did the studying? As in you learned a lot that you will use whilst using your rifle.
maros.kuzar
Outfitter

Post by maros.kuzar »

Looking forward to seeing more pics ;)

Also, I too want to ask about that test you mentioned: From what you wrote it seems that you had to pass the exam to get permits for hunting. It is true, or was that exam for hunting licence in general?

I am asking because I actually like the idea that hunter have to pass exam to be able to shoot someting. YOu would not believe how many hunter are also poachers where I live. They are all friends and cover their backs. Really sad.
ExeQtoR87

Post by ExeQtoR87 »

Here in Italy before to go hunt you need to obtain a basic hunting license that is connected to the permission to buy and go around with a rifle in specific hunting areas.
To get this licence you have to study various subjects:
- Weapons safety - specific knowledge of all internal and external parts - correct handling (Practice Test)
- Hunting legislation (laws,rules related to the hunting activity)
- Biology (various species mammal-birds etc) + recognition test (i studied something like 100+ birds and various mammals etc)
- Environment and territory (like crops , plant species , agriculture etc)
- First aid
This exam is composed of two tests : a written, and a oral one.

When you do this exam you have to answer the questions from various examiners like a biologist, a ballistics expert, a lawyer, a territory expert and a emergency medic, they are very strict and it's easy to get rejected if you don't study hard for it.
If you pass this exam you are allowed to hunt specific species but not all the huntable animals.

Once that you get the basic license you have to do another exam for another license (rough translation is selection-control license) that allows you to hunt other specific animals like (ungulates that you cannot hunt with the basic one): deer, fallow deer, roe deer, chamois + wild boar in solo (in Italy with normal license you can only hunt wild boars in groups that are called "hunting squads")
here again you have to study all the information about any species that you want to be allowed to hunt:
reproduction periods, habits , nutrition , fall and growth of the antlers, recognition on the field, recognition by jaw and teeth etc...
You will have also to study ballistics again in a more specific way especially:
rifles , hunting scopes , trajectories , types of calibers and their correct usage etc...
You have also to participate at various field observations in collaboration with the university biology department
This exam is composed of three tests : a written , an oral and a shooting test where you have to put 5 shots 100 meters away in a target that is 15 cm in diameter.
PS this licence allows you to take part in "control operations" (coordinated by police) like for example go and take down animals that are damaging crops in any period of the year and not only during the hunting season

i got both in 1 year more or less
Yep it's hard but with this method brainless rambos and easy trigger fellas don't get any chance to go around with a weapon/hunt :)

This is the result of my shooting exam .223 rem using a Remington 700.
Last edited by ExeQtoR87 on July 7th, 2016, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExeQtoR87

Post by ExeQtoR87 »

Pictures of the day!
We observed this adult male that was initially sleeping in the grass, he later decided to wake up and eat some grass before to move away :)
Sadly wasn't a yearling (young buck between 12 to 24 months) so we had to let him go.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”