Your oppinion, crossbow vs compound bow

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Snapfoot
Tracker

Your oppinion, crossbow vs compound bow

Post by Snapfoot »

I have no experience in compound bow, give me your reson.
why compound bow ?
and why crossbow you choose ?

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: Your oppinion, crossbow vs compound bow

Post by Tanngnjostr »

I own two compound bows (Parker Python and Snakebite) and the Tenpoint crossbow.

The compound bows (especially the Parker Python - the Pulsar is said to be similar, but I don't own it) are very silent and thus great for e. g. killing whole herds of deer or multiple turkeys from a tree stand. I use it whenever I want to kill an animal without spooking others that are close or even very close to it.

The crossbow is a bit louder, but it has more power. Because of this it's more difficult to take out a whole herd of animals with it, because it's more likely that when you shoot one, the others will spook (not saying it's impossible, it depends on the situation). But since it has more power, it's better for bigger game and for longer distances. Also, you can shoot prone with the crossbow which is impossible with the regular bows. The reloading time is longer though. The crossbow is great when a single animal is approaching you (the occasional moose cow for example) that you need to kill, but you're waiting for that bull that's in render range but still 80 meters away. You can of course do the same with a compound bow, but with the Tenpoint you have more power and can cover a longer distance more easily.
Image Image Image
JK_ElkHunter
Outfitter

Post by JK_ElkHunter »

Tanngnjostr wrote:I own two compound bows (Parker Python and Snakebite) and the Tenpoint crossbow.

The compound bows (especially the Parker Python - the Pulsar is said to be similar, but I don't own it) are very silent and thus great for e. g. killing whole herds of deer or multiple turkeys from a tree stand. I use it whenever I want to kill an animal without spooking others that are close or even very close to it.

The crossbow is a bit louder, but it has more power. Because of this it's more difficult to take out a whole herd of animals with it, because it's more likely that when you shoot one, the others will spook (not saying it's impossible, it depends on the situation). But since it has more power, it's better for bigger game and for longer distances. Also, you can shoot prone with the crossbow which is impossible with the regular bows. The reloading time is longer though. The crossbow is great when a single animal is approaching you (the occasional moose cow for example) that you need to kill, but you're waiting for that bull that's in render range but still 80 meters away. You can of course do the same with a compound bow, but with the Tenpoint you have more power and can cover a longer distance more easily.

I think he means bows irl... in that case.

I personally like compound bows more, simply because they're more challenging and hard to shoot/hunt with. Crossbows on the other hand, are very powerful and can shoot further than a normal 60lb compound. I like both, but I'd choose the compound bow, as well as it's 10lbs lighter than the crossbow :D.
Spoiler:

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Oops, should have realized it was posted in the outdoors forum. :oops:

In this case - real life hunting noob here! :lol:
Image Image Image
Snapfoot
Tracker

Post by Snapfoot »

actually I already own a crossbow, we usually hunt hog with it. One of my friend want to try buy a bow but he confuse to choose xbow or compound bow and I havo no experience with compound bow. My question is how long it takes for average people to become enough skill to hunt with compound bow ??

maros.kuzar
Outfitter

Post by maros.kuzar »

Snapfoot wrote:actually I already own a crossbow, we usually hunt hog with it. One of my friend want to try buy a bow but he confuse to choose xbow or compound bow and I havo no experience with compound bow. My question is how long it takes for average people to become enough skill to hunt with compound bow ??
Well you can still get the compound bow, continue huntining with xbow while practising with compound, and when you will feel confortable, you switch them ;)
JK_ElkHunter
Outfitter

Post by JK_ElkHunter »

maros.kuzar wrote:
Snapfoot wrote:actually I already own a crossbow, we usually hunt hog with it. One of my friend want to try buy a bow but he confuse to choose xbow or compound bow and I havo no experience with compound bow. My question is how long it takes for average people to become enough skill to hunt with compound bow ??
Well you can still get the compound bow, continue huntining with xbow while practising with compound, and when you will feel confortable, you switch them ;)

This! /\

Not going to lie, but it takes a little while for you to get comfortable enough to take it hunting, I would stick with the xbow and still buy a compound bow and practice with the compound bow while you hunt with the crossbow. As I said, compound bows are really fun to shoot and more challenging than a crossbow, thus makes the hunt more rewarding.
Spoiler:

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Here's the part where I make controversial statements and tick people off, but here goes. :lol:

I don't really like either one. If you are choosing between the two, definitely compound. I am completely against hunting with a crossbow UNLESS you are not physically able to shoot a vertical bow. If you are to young or old to draw a heavy weight or have a disability that prevents you from being able to draw a bow. When I've made this argument in the past to people who are fully capable of drawing a bow, they say they are not strong enough. Its very easy to work up in draw weight on bows, and if you complain about not being able to pull it, it's because you aren't willing to put in the effort in order to take bow hunting seriously. I see the crossbow as kind of a shortcut to bow hunting, kind of a cheat if you will. I've shot them before and they don't really require any skill to shoot. It's basically like shooting a gun out to 50 or 60 yards.
Although I hunt with a recurve and longbow, I would recommend a compound for multiple reasons. I hunted with them for several years before switching to traditional tackle and had lots of fun doing it. For one, a compound is way lighter and easier to get through the woods. It still requires skill and lots of practice which means you get to ( people who don't enjoy bow hunting view it as a have to) shoot a lot of arrows. Compounds are much more enjoyable to practice with and you can do all repairs and maintenance yourself.
I say this to everyone wondering this stuff, so I'll say it to you too. Try a traditional recurve or longbow. They are even more fun then the compound. However, if you don't, still enjoy what you choose.
Good luck

I hope I didn't tick anyone off. This is just how I feel about crossbows. :)

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Here's the part where I make controversial statements and tick people off, but here goes. :lol:

I don't really like either one. If you are choosing between the two, definitely compound. I am completely against hunting with a crossbow UNLESS you are not physically able to shoot a vertical bow. If you are to young or old to draw a heavy weight or have a disability that prevents you from being able to draw a bow. When I've made this argument in the past to people who are fully capable of drawing a bow, they say they are not strong enough. Its very easy to work up in draw weight on bows, and if you complain about not being able to pull it, it's because you aren't willing to put in the effort in order to take bow hunting seriously. I see the crossbow as kind of a shortcut to bow hunting, kind of a cheat if you will. I've shot them before and they don't really require any skill to shoot. It's basically like shooting a gun out to 50 or 60 yards.
Although I hunt with a recurve and longbow, I would recommend a compound for multiple reasons. I hunted with them for several years before switching to traditional tackle and had lots of fun doing it. For one, a compound is way lighter and easier to get through the woods. It still requires skill and lots of practice which means you get to ( people who don't enjoy bow hunting view it as a have to) shoot a lot of arrows. Compounds are much more enjoyable to practice with and you can do all repairs and maintenance yourself.
I say this to everyone wondering this stuff, so I'll say it to you too. Try a traditional recurve or longbow. They are even more fun then the compound. However, if you don't, still enjoy what you choose.
Good luck

I hope I didn't tick anyone off. This is just how I feel about crossbows. :)
All bows are a cheat !!!......Real men hunt with nothing more than a pointy stick, where the point was created by rubbing it against a rock until it's sharp. Then you sneak up on your prey, (naked of course), and STICK IT !!! :twisted: .....And no throwing the stick either, that's a cheat too !!!.

Or better yet, no weapon at all. You just jump on the animal and choke it out. Then field dress it with you bare hands of course, because knives (or anything made of metal) is a cheat. Using your teeth is OK of course, because that's "traditional".
Personal Bests...
DarkLord
Scout

Post by DarkLord »

This is how I feel about it..

If you are hunting for sport IRL, for trophies, then you should be "sporting" and try to make it a challenge for yourself. That will be different for everyone. If "sporting" to you means only using traditional equipment, then so be it.

If you are hunting for food, to feed yourself or your family, there is no such thing as ethical hunting. All is fare game and laws be damned. After all, every other predator on this planet exclusively hunt and kill babies. Hunger and the will to survive overrides any moral or ethical convictions you might have.
Spoiler:

Return to “The Great Outdoors”