Your oppinion, crossbow vs compound bow

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
thewindiw
Scout

Re: Your oppinion, crossbow vs compound bow

Post by thewindiw »

I have to agree with Jk's first statement hunting with a compound is definitely more of a challenge. To answer Snapfoots question depends I don't think I spent much more than 2 hours maybe 3 shooting my bow before I could shoot consistently and I have confidence.

thewindow:p

It hops it drops, it flies it dies, if it gets away you shot it in the wrong way= thewindow :P
Snapfoot
Tracker

Post by Snapfoot »

JK_ElkHunter wrote:
maros.kuzar wrote:
Snapfoot wrote:actually I already own a crossbow, we usually hunt hog with it. One of my friend want to try buy a bow but he confuse to choose xbow or compound bow and I havo no experience with compound bow. My question is how long it takes for average people to become enough skill to hunt with compound bow ??
Well you can still get the compound bow, continue huntining with xbow while practising with compound, and when you will feel confortable, you switch them ;)

This! /\

Not going to lie, but it takes a little while for you to get comfortable enough to take it hunting, I would stick with the xbow and still buy a compound bow and practice with the compound bow while you hunt with the crossbow. As I said, compound bows are really fun to shoot and more challenging than a crossbow, thus makes the hunt more rewarding.
Thanks , great advice.

Snapfoot
Tracker

Post by Snapfoot »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Here's the part where I make controversial statements and tick people off, but here goes. :lol:

I don't really like either one. If you are choosing between the two, definitely compound. I am completely against hunting with a crossbow UNLESS you are not physically able to shoot a vertical bow. If you are to young or old to draw a heavy weight or have a disability that prevents you from being able to draw a bow. When I've made this argument in the past to people who are fully capable of drawing a bow, they say they are not strong enough. Its very easy to work up in draw weight on bows, and if you complain about not being able to pull it, it's because you aren't willing to put in the effort in order to take bow hunting seriously. I see the crossbow as kind of a shortcut to bow hunting, kind of a cheat if you will. I've shot them before and they don't really require any skill to shoot. It's basically like shooting a gun out to 50 or 60 yards.
Although I hunt with a recurve and longbow, I would recommend a compound for multiple reasons. I hunted with them for several years before switching to traditional tackle and had lots of fun doing it. For one, a compound is way lighter and easier to get through the woods. It still requires skill and lots of practice which means you get to ( people who don't enjoy bow hunting view it as a have to) shoot a lot of arrows. Compounds are much more enjoyable to practice with and you can do all repairs and maintenance yourself.
I say this to everyone wondering this stuff, so I'll say it to you too. Try a traditional recurve or longbow. They are even more fun then the compound. However, if you don't, still enjoy what you choose.
Good luck

I hope I didn't tick anyone off. This is just how I feel about crossbows. :)
make sense, my hunting is for pestcontrol, Hog destroy corn farm , I just want to know how difficult hunt with compound, my goal is , effectiveness.

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

It's not difficult at all. A few hours of practice and you'll have it down so that you can make a kill at 20 yards just about every time. After a while you will be able to shoot out to 40 yards, and maybe further if you wish. I've seen guys get off multiple shots when hog hunting with compounds, but only one with a crossbow.

Watch this video of this guy shooting hogs. He's using a recurve so it's a bit faster than a compound.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0blqjmGSHZ0

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Snapfoot
Tracker

Post by Snapfoot »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:It's not difficult at all. A few hours of practice and you'll have it down so that you can make a kill at 20 yards just about every time. After a while you will be able to shoot out to 40 yards, and maybe further if you wish. I've seen guys get off multiple shots when hog hunting with compounds, but only one with a crossbow.

Watch this video of this guy shooting hogs. He's using a recurve so it's a bit faster than a compound.
nice video.

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Snapfoot wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:It's not difficult at all. A few hours of practice and you'll have it down so that you can make a kill at 20 yards just about every time. After a while you will be able to shoot out to 40 yards, and maybe further if you wish. I've seen guys get off multiple shots when hog hunting with compounds, but only one with a crossbow.

nice video.
Instinctive shooting is great, and in my opinion is the most effective method of shooting in the field. You don't have to worry about yardage or whether you can stop the animal. You just naturally swing with the animal and release, and, as shown I the video, you can get a lot of shots of fairly quickly.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
caliber420
Hunter

Post by caliber420 »

If it's legal for you it's equal opportunity hunting (at least you're getting outdoors). And this is a pretty brutal subject in the bow hunting community along with any ethics talk, broadhead talk. It's something like hard core vertical bow guys hate crossbows, and hardcore traditional guys hate compound and crossbows. But for sure crossbows are the most hated.

A compound bow usually has a sight, arrow rest, usually shot with a release on a d loop. The cams allow a weight let off, so instead of holding back 60lb the entire time you usually get a 75% let off, so you're only holding 30 for a longer time. Where traditional you hold the weight the entire time with a tab/glove and usually do not have a sight.

Opinion wise. Crossbows should only be legal for disabled hunters in archery seasons. In any legal arm hunts I'd still use a vertical bow (anything you have to draw yourself and hold yourself regardless of traditional or compound).

There's something amazing about stalking close to an animal without it knowing you're there then drawing without them seeing the movement. It's vertical bow hunting is another level and I wouldn't recommend it to someone who won't practice archery regularly. Trad bows are another level up from that too, their max effective range generally is 30 yards tops (a lot of guys will not shoot past 20 with them). I imagine shooting hogs off feeders and from blinds/stands on private is way different though.

But just use whatever you're comfortable with, it's better that you can quickly kill as opposed to trying something you're not comfortable with and maiming.

Every bow over around 30lb draw is lethal if you're a good shot. I don't recommend picking up any weapon and just winging shots at living things though it takes a lot of dedication to be a successful bowhunter traditional or compound. I imagine shooting hogs off feeders and from blinds/stands on private is way different though.

Don't use mechanical broadheads just go cut on contact for any thing you decide to use. slick tricks, muzzy, nap.. ect

It'd be easier to nock arrows quickly on a vert bow as opposed to the crossbow you'd have to crank.
https://www.instagram.com/stubborn_bowhunter/
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
Snapfoot
Tracker

Post by Snapfoot »

Thanks for all the respon, .
FYI , Hunting I do is not the part of sport, in my country there are no hunting sport season. Hunt I do is a part of regular thing I do Twice A month in case for pest control include hog ,squirrel species, vetmint and egret. we use all method and anything that the most effective.

Oswald74
Outfitter

Post by Oswald74 »

Because I'm interested in bow shooting, I got myself a "beginner set".

The Barnett Vortex 19-45 lbs

Release Exacta XX Quick Adjust

3 ExoSPHERE Prime Arrows

3 Bearpaw rubber blunts

The bow is a smaller "youth" version, but as a beginner und limited to sport shooting I already had some great fun in the one week I own it..

With the 41 lbs the bow is delivered I can hit my 1x1m straw target at ~40m. With the bear paw rubber blunts I hit a 30x30 cm target at ~25m.

I'm pretty sure that a crossbow would be fun too, but the compund bow fits my needs better.

MfG L.E. :)

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Good stuff for a starter set! Good release. I am of this opinion when it comes to hunting IRL with an arrow. If you are a beginner and not proficient with a bow I would MUCH rather see you in the woods with a Xbow for this reason- If you are not confident and proven you can hit what you want where you want with the right angle and absolution of a good quick kill - DO NOT TRY! All you are doing is wounding and maiming deer you will never find. Nothing sickens me more. It's no different then the idiot taking pot shots a a running deer from 250 yards with a shotgun slug. There's always plenty of 3 legged animals out there who have crossed paths with these idiots.
Unfortunately, IRL is not The Hunter, everything does not die when hit with an arrow if only it were true
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:

Return to “The Great Outdoors”