On my way to work

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
jim1975
Scout

On my way to work

Post by jim1975 »

On my way to work the other morning I was greeted with these 3 Fallow Deer. 2 stags and 1 doe. They didn't seem at all fazed by me as I stood there and took several pictures with the flash on and then several with the flash off. Even when I walked out the gate they just stood there watching me go down to my car. Sorry for the poor quality but took it with my phone and it was only just starting to get light:

Trackfield
Scout

Re: On my way to work

Post by Trackfield »

Wonderful pics :)
We get a lot of does around here, but rarely see a buck.
Have whitetail deer around here.

While I don't feed them, I do talk to them, mainly to let them know where I am, but a few of the does have become used to seeing me out in the yard or on the porch.
They just keep feeding in the yard.

One day late in the evening, I saw one of the does about 40 feet from a coyote.
It was a long shot on the coyote, as open season here is the rule. I fired buckshot at the coyote (and missed) but the doe just put her head up, looked at me, then went on back to eating.
Needless to say the coyote took off, and I sat there stunned that the doe did not run.

It almost seemed to me the doe looked up and told the coyote... I'm not the one being shot at, you better run :lol:
nosnerb
Outfitter

Post by nosnerb »

I saw a big 6 pointer this morning with two does as well :) went outside watched for a few minutes, they just kept grazing without a care. I've seen a really big 7 pointer around, hope he'll be around for archery season
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Nice pics, Jim - looks like a fine buck. I've seen a few red deer hinds while running in the local forest and once I nearly stepped over a wild boar sow with her kids (don't ask who was more scared by this encounter), but usually they were gone as soon as they saw me. If I may ask - where is that?
Image Image Image
jim1975
Scout

Post by jim1975 »

Tanngnjostr wrote:Nice pics, Jim - looks like a fine buck. I've seen a few red deer hinds while running in the local forest and once I nearly stepped over a wild boar sow with her kids (don't ask who was more scared by this encounter), but usually they were gone as soon as they saw me. If I may ask - where is that?

It's in England. These were Fallow Deer. We have a couple of white/albino deer running around in our wood as well as plenty of Wild Boar. The boar have escaped from a farm a few years back and have bred like mad and are now causing a nuisance by getting into peoples gardens and digging them up. Don't want to give the location away too much as we already have poachers coming into our public woodland and kill both deer and boar. As much as I like hunting I'd rather not encourage poaching.
jim1975
Scout

Post by jim1975 »

Trackfield wrote:It almost seemed to me the doe looked up and told the coyote... I'm not the one being shot at, you better run :lol:

Funny how they know. I used to work on a big estate where they had loads of deer roaming around. They were a lot more shy during the day but come night time they hardly spooked.
jim1975
Scout

Post by jim1975 »

nosnerb wrote:I saw a big 6 pointer this morning with two does as well :) went outside watched for a few minutes, they just kept grazing without a care. I've seen a really big 7 pointer around, hope he'll be around for archery season

Would make a nice wall mount :)
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Cool pictures. Would like to have some fallow here, but we've got whitetail which are still pretty cool. We have a doe that keeps her fawn in the small woodlot bordering our yard. Sometimes when I leave for work in the morning, the fawn is in the yard. Its always fun to watch him prance around.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda

Return to “The Great Outdoors”