Wild Boar / Feral Hog, hunting tips.

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
KriegsWulff
Spotter

Wild Boar / Feral Hog, hunting tips.

Post by KriegsWulff »

Heya folk's,

this post is to help me gain knowledge and insight into the hunting of feral hogs and wild boar.

Just a side note, there is an open season on the feral hogs/wild boar here in BC

I and a few friends are going to be going on a piggy hunt here in beautiful British Columbia Canada soon, and I want to get as much insight into the ways to harvest them safely.

we are already planning on building a couple of towers to use, and we will also be looking at either purchasing or making a couple of feeder stations as well. the rifles we plan on taking are all proven hard hitters ( all surplus WWII military ) , but I am unsure if they will be enough. we will also be taking a pump action 12 gauge shotgun for any that try to attack when we are heading out to pick up our kill's.

the rifles that we will be taking with us are as follows : 1 SVT 40 (7.62x54R), 1 Mosin Nagant 91/30 (7.62x54R) , 1 SKS (7.62x39) and 1 Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 (.303 British).

I would like to hear from those who have hunted these animals to give me some insight as to whether or not the SKS will do the job in taking a hog down in one hit. Having played the hunter and knowing that the Mosin and Lee Enfield are considered ethical to take Hog's, I am starting to question if the SKS has the stopping power.

If any one has any tips to share on this I would love to hear them. thank you in advance, and yes I will post pic's of any that we shoot !

Jack.Grave
Outfitter

Re: Wild Boar / Feral Hog, hunting tips.

Post by Jack.Grave »

Well talking as non-hunter: I will not recomend using 7.62x39 M43 ammo for hunting feral hogs or wild boar due its lacking reasonable wounding power (In my country legal recquirement for wild boar is at least 1500 Joules @ 100 metres). Speaking about 7.62x54R or 303 British they are more than capable took down a boar at reasonable range with propperly placed hit. Jack
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Should be plenty of gun. I don't know if you are a bow hunter, but I've got to throw the idea out there anyways. Try it with archery tackle. :)
Hogs leave a ton of sign. They are extremely wary and usually travel in large groups. We have a herd (sounder I think) around where I live which is extremely wary due to being shot at multiple times. I've gotten within 150 yards once, but that's it. They also have a temper, so be careful following up a wounded hog.
Hog hunting is really fun. I've only done it a couple times but have enjoyed it. Have fun and good luck. :)

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
KriegsWulff
Spotter

Post by KriegsWulff »

thanks for the input gents.

I know that using the M43 rounds is out due to it being military ammunition . I am thinking of purchasing some of the Hornady 123gr SST rounds for use.

Note: all of the ammunition that will be taken on this hunt will be legal for hunting following all guidelines in place in the Hunting Reg's for BC!

I am an archer , I have a Wicked Ridge Invader by Tenpoint. I will be using the crossbow when I go Elk hunting this fall.

caliber420
Hunter

Post by caliber420 »

He said archer and crossbow in the same post :lol: You should sell that crossbow and get a vertical bow. Just kidding around where will you be hunting elk?
https://www.instagram.com/stubborn_bowhunter/
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

caliber420 wrote:He said archer and crossbow in the same post :lol: You should sell that crossbow and get a vertical bow. Just kidding around where will you be hunting elk?
I almost made a comment about that, but decided against it. :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
KriegsWulff
Spotter

Post by KriegsWulff »

I will be going to the Trinity Valley area here in the Okanagan for Elk, and as that is where I have personally seen sign of hog activity, we will be going there first for our hog hunt.
I have leads on at least 2 other areas that are reported to have hog's, but those will have to be scouted to ensure that I wasn't given a bogus tip. ( one of my mottos is "Trust, but verify" )

For the hog hunt, I will be using my No4 Mk1 Lee Enfield, and my three friends will be using my other milsurp rifles.

caliber420
Hunter

Post by caliber420 »

Can you use a crossbow during archery season in BC?
https://www.instagram.com/stubborn_bowhunter/
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Sounds like a ton of fun. Make sure to post lots of pictures! :D

KriegsWulff
Spotter

Post by KriegsWulff »

caliber420 wrote:Can you use a crossbow during archery season in BC?
yup, there is no distinction between standard/compound bows or standard/compound crossbow, all are considered bow's for the bow only seasons.

and yes, I will be posting pic's of all my harvests this year ( praying that I actually do get some harvests this year )

Return to “The Great Outdoors”