Hunting with Hawks... My Falconry Story

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
ToasTerPoP14

Hunting with Hawks... My Falconry Story

Post by ToasTerPoP14 »

So some people here may or may not have seen my falconry and hawking post on thoughts and suggestions but what a lot of you didn't know was that I'm a lisenced falconer. Right now I have a male passage (immature) red tailed hawk named Hemlock. I trapped in late October and spent most of gun season training him. That might sound like a long time but here in MI that's only about a month and a half but it only took me a month to train him. So far he has caught 3 rabbits and 4 squirrels. Not a lot, but it's the coolest thing to watch. I fly him at about 780 grams so he's hungry enough to hunt. I hunt with him on the weekends, and feed him less and less as the week goes on so he will be ready to hunt on the weekends. I'll feed him his 3 mice on Sunday. Feed him 3 mice on Monday, feed him 2 and a half on Tuesday, feed 2 and 1/4 on Wednesday, feed him 1 and a half on Thursday and hunt him Friday-Sunday. I'll try and get pictures up but my computer hates me right now and refuses to download the pictures from my phone.
I plan on releasing Hemlock in June or July because that's when my family and I are going on vacation and we can't bring the hawk with us. Plus hunting season has been over for a while now and so far he's just making me spend money on mice :lol: well.. Not mice... We figured out how expensive they were so instead we turned to meat rabbits. We have a male and a female who produce the babies/hawk food... That's right, I feed my hawk baby rabbits... We use the simple vinegar and baking soda carbon monoxide poisoning and I know that sounds bad but it's quick and totally humane. It's better than spending $70 on mice per month. Anyways when I turned fourteen (the age you have to be to become a falconer in Michigan) I took my federal exam, built my mew (hawk house) and got a sponsor (another falconer to show me the ropes) great guy named Kory Koch. Anyways but he helped get passed inspections and trap Hemlock.

Anyways that's the story of Hemlock and me. Watch, as soon as I post this I'm going to remember something else I should have put in :lol: . But anyways, thank you to all the people who actually stuck through this boring mess and read the whole thing. Hats off to you my friend.
Bosloe
Hunter

Re: Hunting with Hawks... My Falconry Story

Post by Bosloe »

Great little story :) be really good to see some picks of him when you can get them.
Six Shooter Tournament - caledonianblues 24th hosted competition March 2016 - Trophy's Thank Theodore Stupid Cupid Buffalo Bill
Twitch - Bosloe077 YouTube - Bosloe 077 Hunter Statistics
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Gun season only lasts 15 days in Michigan.
What part of Michigan are you from? :)

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
ToasTerPoP14

Post by ToasTerPoP14 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Gun season only lasts 15 days in Michigan.
What part of Michigan are you from? :)
Including muzzleloader and all, and I'm just estimating
ToasTerPoP14

Post by ToasTerPoP14 »

It sure does feel like a month and a half :lol: if you hunted in southern Michigan this year you would understand that joke.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

I guess so. I'm up in the northern lower and it seems to fly by.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
ToasTerPoP14

Post by ToasTerPoP14 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:I guess so. I'm up in the northern lower and it seems to fly by.
Well be glad you aren't down here. The deer disappear by the end of bowseason. It's pretty depressing.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

They do that up here as well, you just have to learn to hunt pressured deer. Figure out what they're doing and adapt.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”