Camouflage wildlife photography

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Geerthunter
Tracker

Camouflage wildlife photography

Post by Geerthunter »

Hi everybody,

This year I go 3 weeks to the Harz, a woody area in Germany.
I want to make some nice wildlife photo's and bought a camera with a 18-270mm objective (it's not the best objective for wildlife photography, but a 400mm lens is to expensive for me at this point).
For clothing I have a black sweater, a cap, and a camo balaclava.
I also have a camouflage net.
I don't have camouflage pants, so I use jeans (indigo blue).
Do I have enough camouflage, or do I need to have more?

I saw this in a webshop
https://www.jvs-outdoor.eu/_images/prod ... Max-4D.jpg
It's a gauze suit that you can wear over your regular clothing.
Is this essential to buy?

Greetings,

Geert
caliber420
Hunter

Re: Camouflage wildlife photography

Post by caliber420 »

Only birds, bears, and cats can see color well. You just want to break up your form and avoid bright colors. You should be fine with what you already have. I know people who wear no camo and they get in bow range of animals regularly.

If you really want to go all out though....

my bow hunting set up goes like this:

No uv dyes, I recommend dead down wind detergent for no uv or scent. And the shampoo, soap.. Ect if you want to get real real close.

1. Break up your outline/form
2. avoid Bright colors if you're going to be trying to get close to birds, bears, or cats.
3. Play the wind

Remember people have been sneaking up on animals before any cool camo was out. And you don't need to get incredibly close if you can zoom on your camera as well.

A wise tip I like to quote is "the best camo for you is the one you want to be wearing in a trophy shot." Most of the expensive camo patterns really dont matter.

Buy what you are comfortable wearing for a long time. If its hot you won't want a lot of layers. I like a thin long sleeve shirt and I'll carry a sweatshirt in my pack for early season. Extra pair of boot socks in pack as well.

I mix and match my camo for a better break up. Currently I run a cheap mossy oak ls shirt, Kryptek pants, a cheap camo hat, and cheap gloves. This year I might splurge and buy some kuiu clothing, but I'll be hunting elk in the rockies.

I use cork charcoal for face paint, cleans off easy and smells natural masks make my glasses fog up.
https://www.instagram.com/stubborn_bowhunter/
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

The most important camouflage that you can have is stillness. I've had deer walk right by me during rifle season when I've got on blaze orange, and as long as I didn't move, they never spooked. Using a camera, you should be fine since all you have to do is press a button. You won't be drawing a bow or raising a firearm, so that's much less movement. I really don't even wear a lot of camouflage. A brown or green fleece, grey vest, brown or grey ants, etc. The clothing made by G. Fred Asbell is fantastic.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Geerthunter
Tracker

Post by Geerthunter »

Thanks for the tips! This will help a lot! :D
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

What are you planning on photographing?

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Geerthunter
Tracker

Post by Geerthunter »

I hope some red deer, there are plenty of red deer in that area.
Also some foxes and roe deer.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”