It's plantin' time.

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
SUPERWEP7
Tracker

It's plantin' time.

Post by SUPERWEP7 »

At least it is here in North/Central WV. I've got asparagus shooting up stalks as big around as my thumb, and my cucumbers, corn, and beans are pokin' up as we speak.

What do you have growing out there?
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: It's plantin' time.

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Nothing yet. We burned the asparagus on Sunday, so it should be coming up pretty quickly. We won't plant our garden for another month.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
SUPERWEP7
Tracker

Post by SUPERWEP7 »

Spiffy. Do you burn your asparagus beds to keep down on the beetles? Discourage various other predators? I only ask because I'm not a burner, I'm a snipper-offer-at-the-grounder, and I've always had pretty good spears. I was wondering if there was some additional benefit to torching the beds come Spring—I know a couple of others that do and they just say "that's what you do" when asked. Heh.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

We just do it to get rid of all the dead grass/stalks. The ashes also help fertilize the area a little.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

We've got dust flying as of the weekend. It's picking up speed, some corn is in but by end of the week every tractor will be in the fields.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:

Return to “The Great Outdoors”