So I've been working a lot on bringing the bow down to shape. I've got the front profile down mostly to where I want it except for in the handle area, which I won't do to much to until I'm almost done. I've been working a lot in the fades where the limb tapers into the handle. Lots of people make the fades to abrupt, when they should flow less aggressively into the riser. I've been using mainly a rasp for that part. It is definitely satisfying to make something completely by hand, but it also makes me appreciate power tools
I've also started making the limbs thinner, and they are just getting to the point where I can slightly bend them. I've also uncovered some knots in the wood on the belly that shouldn't cause issues as long as I leave enough wood around them.
In some of the pictures you can see how twisted the bow is right now. I will need to steam and clamp it in order to straighten it out. Right now the bow also curves away from the belly, giving it quite a bit of natural deflex. This is often referred to as gull wing. A stave like this will often times produce a very hard hitting bow as long as the curve is gradual throughout the limb to the tips and not just in the handle.
Here you can really see the gull wing. Lots of people think that the curve is the way that the bow will bend, but it bends the other way.
And here you can see some of the twist I need to remove. One limb is pretty straight, but the other curls at the end. It's actually easier to see the twist in the first picture.