Bow Building

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: Bow Building

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

I think I can save it. The epoxy set nicely.
Just goes to show that if you try and rush or take shortcuts, (in this case using a belt sander instead of doing it by hand), you're going to make mistakes.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
maros.kuzar
Outfitter

Post by maros.kuzar »

That is turning out to be a masterpiece Trenton!

Well done ;)
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Thanks, I'll keep you guys updated.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Exanimis
Hunter

Post by Exanimis »

I know it's disapointing but maybe you should post photos of the "mistake" and your method of repair, who knows, it might help someone else who decides to give bow building a try.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Ok, here's the mark. What I've done here is fill it with epoxy and put it by a 100 watt bulb to cure. The tape is to keep epoxy off of the faces of the limb. The first round of epoxy settled, so I am doing it again to fill in all other gaps.

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

So I managed to save it, and it worked out nicely. Now I can keep going on it. :)

Exanimis
Hunter

Post by Exanimis »

That's great news, congratulations.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

I'm really happy about it. Right now it's pulling about 80 pounds. I might just keep it there. I taught my self to go from 45 to 65, I can work my way up to 80. It's kind of fun watching other people try and pull it, hey can get back more than a few inches. :lol:

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

I got the riser marked out today and am planning on cutting it tomorrow. What I've drawn on is just a rough sketch, most of the riser shaping is done based on how well it fits my hand. I also got the mother of all fiberglass splinters today, which heard like crazy. :x

hunterPRO1
Outfitter

Post by hunterPRO1 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:I got the riser marked out today and am planning on cutting it tomorrow. What I've drawn on is just a rough sketch, most of the riser shaping is done based on how well it fits my hand. I also got the mother of all fiberglass splinters today, which hurt like crazy
Corrected ;)
Great job on the bow really coming along!
"you win some, you lose some, you wreck some."
Spoiler:

Return to “The Great Outdoors”