Bow Building

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Re: Bow Building

Post by Radamus »

That's a pretty nice after man! Good job! And making your own string, awesome!
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Thanks. I have a lot of fun doing it. Some guys restore old cars, I restore bows. Making my own strings is fun, but it took me forever to figure out how to do it. After a while though it becomes like tying your shoelaces, you hardly even think about it. Also, the bow was from 1976, not 1966. I got it confused with a bow that I restored earlier this year.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Exanimis
Hunter

Post by Exanimis »

Awesome! I hope sometime you add a tutorial or at least some photos of how you make the strings, I know there are several ways but I only know of one. I am not sure but mentioning string silencers for a bow might be against theHunter forums terms of service lol, people seem to get upset when you mention them.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

I can try and do a string tutorial sometime. It's really tough to explain without actually being able to show you the actual process. If you go on google and YouTube, type in how to make a Flemish twist bowstring and you will find all sorts of helpful videos.
What's wrong with string silencers? If they make the bow quieter, I'm sure as heck going to use the. :lol: I'm not sure how that will make people upset.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Exanimis
Hunter

Post by Exanimis »

lol everytime someone asks for string silencers in the thoughts & suggestions thread, people complain and say bows are quiet enough, so it's someting I joke about lol. Thanks for the tip, I'll check a few videos, I know that there is one where a young woman makes a bowstring out of milkweed. Good work so far, I'm looking forward to seeing more.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

lol, I don't think that a hunting bow can ever be to quiet. Adding string silencers also makes the bow more pleasant to shoot because it absorbs vibrations which would result in hand shock.

I glued on the phenolic tip overlays today. This reinforced the tips of the bow so that I will be able to use a fast flight string on it.

Here is one of the tips after it is roughly shaped. I still have a lot of sanding and filing to take care off before it is all set.

vazonov11

Post by vazonov11 »

Good should get the bow.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Thanks, I hope so.

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

I made kind of a big mistake today. As I was reducin the limb width on my belt sander, the belt edge rolled up and cut right into the side of the limb! It made a nasty cut about an 1/8 inch deep. I filled the crack with epoxy and am hoping for the best. I still can't believe that happened. :x :x :x

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

oh man..... I feel your pain
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:

Return to “The Great Outdoors”