Bow Building

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
maros.kuzar
Outfitter

Re: Bow Building

Post by maros.kuzar »

Well done! I think I will start saving some ems ;-)
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Thanks guys!

Radamus, you don't think it's pretty? :cry:
Just kiddin, I still have a lot to do before it's pretty. I'm excited to put a finish on it.

Maros, I don't know if I'll suggest this one. I feel like getting one in the game is a huge accomplishment and would hate to push my luck or annoy the devs.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Thanks guys!

Just kiddin, I still have a lot to do before it's pretty. I'm excited to put a finish on it.

Maros, I don't know if I'll suggest this one. I feel like getting one in the game is a huge accomplishment and would hate to push my luck or annoy the devs.
Looks very nice Instinctive! Can not wait to see how it turns out. :)
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

walt133 wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:Thanks guys!

Looks very nice Instinctive! Can not wait to see how it turns out. :)
Thanks Walt! :)

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Well....
I am currently unaware of the state of my bow right now. Today our wood shop caught on fire and we had to evacuate the school.
One of the other people in the shop got a piece of wood caught in the surface sander which burned before he could get the machine turned off. The wood got so hot that it sparked, and some of the sparks got sucked up our dust collection system. We've burned things before in the surface sander, so we replaced the belt and continued working. After about 10 minutes, we began to notice smoke in the air. Nobody could figure out where it was coming from. I don't know why, but for some reason I just began following the ventilation pipes with my eyes. When it hit me what was going on, I turned and ran outside to our giant dust collection bins. My shop teacher came running out a few seconds later when he realized what was happening. We pried the bottom off of the bins, and an enormous pile of glowing coals fell out. My teacher ran back in to tell everyone to get out of the room while myself and two other students began throwing snow onto the pile of goals. By this time, all of the dust that had collected in the horizontal sections of the dust collection pipes had caught fire and began to burn backwards. At this point, every machine in the shop began smoking since they are all connected to the system. The smoke in the room was so thick at this point that I literally couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I went back outside and continued to help throw snow on the coals, but at this point, huge flames were flaring out of the bottom of the dust collection bins. After about ten minutes, the fire trucks arrived and took over. From what I heard, there was minimal fire damage, but I haven't seen it for myself yet. My coat and bag absolutely reek from sitting in the smoke for so long. Once the fire was out, I started back towards the shop, but for some reason they wouldn't let me in to check how my bow and everything else was. Seems like a stupid rule, but there's not much I can do about it.

I'll update this tomorrow. I'm not super worried about it, but you never know.

JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Sorry to hear about that Trenton. I hope everything is fine. Now you'll smell like a real hunter. :)
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Thanks Jimbo. I definitely smell like smoke, but it's almost overpowering.

Still haven't been in the shop, but from what I've heard, everything is black. The worse news is that every single machine in the shop room got fried. We no longer have a shop room to work in, and the school is debating whether to cut the program altogether. All I can say is they're gonna have one hell of a fight on their hands if they try that.

JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Wow, sorry to hear that Trenton. Well I certainly hope they come to their collective senses. You'd think insurance would cover this and return it to previous condition. I sincerely hope you aren't out of commission for very long, I think I understand how much it means to you. :(
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

JimboCrow wrote:Wow, sorry to hear that Trenton. Well I certainly hope they come to their collective senses. You'd think insurance would cover this and return it to previous condition. I sincerely hope you aren't out of commission for very long, I think I understand how much it means to you. :(
Yes, from what I've heard, insurance will cover it. It seems that the people who want it cut are some parents whose kids aren't even in the class. IMO they shouldn't have any say in the matter. We're out of commission for at least two weeks, and as of right now, I am not even allowed in the shop to get my bow and finish it at home.

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Well, the bow survived. Other than the fact that it smells really strongly of woodsmoke, it's fine. I was finally allowed in and was able to see the damage, most of which had been exaggerated. Yes, all of the machines are full of soot and ash, but after being cleaned up, they should work fine. The walls are black, and going to be repainted, and other than the smell of smoke on EVERYTHING, it seems ok. Not sure what to do over the next few weeks, but at least I can continue to work the bow at home.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”