Bow Building

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: Bow Building

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Ok, maybe I'll give that a try.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
HuntWild4x4

Post by HuntWild4x4 »

You're doing an incredible job, your craftsmanship is inspiring. Keep up the great work my friend :) looking forward to seeing it completed!!
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Thanks. I enjoy doing it. I'm excited to finish it. Right now I'm just doing a lot of sanding on the limbs. With fiberglass, you can sand for an hour and hardly remove anything sometimes. :)

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Exanimis
Hunter

Post by Exanimis »

I hate to keep making suggestions brcause I migh come across as a know-it-all, I assure you I am not. Since I carved duck decoys for many years I do know a little about woodworking and so I would suggest looking into getting a drum sander like the Grizzly pneumatic drum sander shown on this link

http://poorfolkbows.com/elb7.htm
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

I use a drum sander. At this stage though, using a power tool could lead to a mistake, which could lead to ruining the bow. I go by hand from this point out on the limbs. I use a drum sander to help shape the riser later on.
I used poor folks bows to build one of my first bows, a red oak board bow. It's a very helpful site. Another one that I use more often now is TradGang

Exanimis
Hunter

Post by Exanimis »

I am looking forward to your next update. I hope you continue making bows and posting the progress here, you have a fan and I will be watching for updates.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

I'll keep you updated. I'm at a traditional archery expo and completion right now, so I'm getting to talk to some of the best bowyers in the country. I'm learning a ton and having a blast at the same time.

maros.kuzar
Outfitter

Post by maros.kuzar »

Exanimis wrote:I hate to keep making suggestions brcause I migh come across as a know-it-all, I assure you I am not. Since I carved duck decoys for many years I do know a little about woodworking and so I would suggest looking into getting a drum sander like the Grizzly pneumatic drum sander shown on this link

http://poorfolkbows.com/elb7.htm
Wow thaks for the link man! Now I have something to do during summer free time ;)
Exanimis
Hunter

Post by Exanimis »

Cool and you are welcome ;) Just remember to post your progress :D
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Maros, definition give it a try. Start with a board bow first. They're pretty easy and forgiving to small mistakes. It's a ton of fun.

I'll keep posting progress. I just got back from a big traditional archery expo and competition. I talked to some of the most well known archers and bow builders around like Joel Turner, Ron LaClair, Jim Belcher, G. Fred Asbell, etc. etc. I learned a ton and got to shoot some awesome bows as well. I also took first place in my division in the 3D shoot which was a lot of fun. I encourage anyone, if it all possible, to go to the expo in Kalamazoo Michigan next year if they are interested in bow building or just shooting. There are a ton of great people who are more than happy to talk archery all day long. I know that I'll be there again.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”