Bow Building

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: Bow Building

Post by JimboCrow »

Well that's good news. A setback, sure, but not a complete disaster overall. And it could have been a lot worse. You might have to name your new bow Ol' Smoky, and give it a dark stain, if it doesn't already have one. ;) I'm looking forward to seeing it drafted into theHunter now more than ever! :D
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Get an Indian shaman to bless it. :lol:
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Tod1d wrote:Get an Indian shaman to bless it. :lol:
Might just do that. :lol:

Jimbo, not sure if it will go in the game. I feel really lucky already to have one bow in, I don't want to seem pushy by trying to get another.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
hunterPRO1
Outfitter

Post by hunterPRO1 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Well, the bow survived. Other than the fact that it smells really strongly of woodsmoke, it's fine. I was finally allowed in and was able to see the damage, most of which had been exaggerated. Yes, all of the machines are full of soot and ash, but after being cleaned up, they should work fine. The walls are black, and going to be repainted, and other than the smell of smoke on EVERYTHING, it seems ok. Not sure what to do over the next few weeks, but at least I can continue to work the bow at home.
:D great news there!
"you win some, you lose some, you wreck some."
Spoiler:
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:

Jimbo, not sure if it will go in the game. I feel really lucky already to have one bow in, I don't want to seem pushy by trying to get another.
Then I hope you don't mind if the rest of us are pushy for you. The Heavy Recurve was a singularly great addition to the game, and I personally love that bow. If EW made any money on it they might be willing to repeat the process. I certainly hope so.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

JimboCrow wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:

Then I hope you don't mind if the rest of us are pushy for you. The Heavy Recurve was a singularly great addition to the game, and I personally love that bow. If EW made any money on it they might be willing to repeat the process. I certainly hope so.
If you want to be pushy, go for it. :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

When I was in HS we had our wood shop experience an accident that caused them to close it down for a week. It wasn't a fire as yours was, the teacher shortened 2 of his fingers on a table saw so a big investigation into why there wasn't a guard on the saw. It was kind of strange to look up at the ceiling and see the blood rooster tail that went from red the first couple days to dark brown - AFAIK they never did change those ceiling tiles :lol:

Glad your bow made it - so now it can be named "Old Smokey" :D
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Radamus wrote:When I was in HS we had our wood shop experience an accident that caused them to close it down for a week. It wasn't a fire as yours was, the teacher shortened 2 of his fingers on a table saw so a big investigation into why there wasn't a guard on the saw. It was kind of strange to look up at the ceiling and see the blood rooster tail that went from red the first couple days to dark brown - AFAIK they never did change those ceiling tiles :lol:

Glad your bow made it - so now it can be named "Old Smokey" :D
Man, that sounds horrible. Glad we didn't have that happen here.

Yeah, might have to name the bow smokey. Not sure how to get the smoke smell out of it. Hopefully when I finish it it will seal off the smell.

TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Man, that is crazy. I'm glad your bow survived, though, and that there were no injuries.

I came back to this thread because I'd followed the initial building of your first bow, and ended up buying the first EM I've ever bought in order to buy it in-game. It just seems like such a nice bow--fairly traditional, but powerful, beautiful etc. I'm really satisfied with it, and just wanted to say congrats on an awesome design and construction, thanks for creating it, and I'm glad it made it into the game. Best of luck with your future builds, including Smoky :lol:

P.S. For smell, vinegar or baking soda (both together make school science class volcanoes, so I do mean one or the other) are supposedly great at odor elimination. Vinegar also supposedly "bakes in" colors. I'd test it on a small piece of the same wood before using it in case it messes with the bow's color either way, but it might help, perhaps by sponging it on then wiping/cleaning it down later?
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

TheSheWolf wrote:Man, that is crazy. I'm glad your bow survived, though, and that there were no injuries.

I came back to this thread because I'd followed the initial building of your first bow, and ended up buying the first EM I've ever bought in order to buy it in-game. It just seems like such a nice bow--fairly traditional, but powerful, beautiful etc. I'm really satisfied with it, and just wanted to say congrats on an awesome design and construction, thanks for creating it, and I'm glad it made it into the game. Best of luck with your future builds, including Smoky :lol:

P.S. For smell, vinegar or baking soda (both together make school science class volcanoes, so I do mean one or the other) are supposedly great at odor elimination. Vinegar also supposedly "bakes in" colors. I'd test it on a small piece of the same wood before using it in case it messes with the bow's color either way, but it might help, perhaps by sponging it on then wiping/cleaning it down later?
I'm glad that you enjoyed the thread as well as the bow. This kind of stuff makes my day. :)

Smokey seems fine, albeit a bit smokey ;)
I think that once I spray on a finish, it will seal in whatever smell there is, but if not, I'll give your suggestion a try after some testing.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”