2015/2016 Hunting and trapping season

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: 2015/2016 Hunting and trapping season

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Nice. I'm going out tomorrow to try jump shooting a few in the swamp. You can't beat rabbit meat!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
marcthehunter
Hunter

Post by marcthehunter »

gas56 wrote:
marcthehunter wrote:I had some luck last night with the rabbit snares. Caught these 3 nice hares.

Nice, that will make some fine eating.... and I see you have snow.
Indeed! We've only had snow for the last 10 days or so. Pretty big snowstorm came down last week so now the snow is knee deep. Just as if it was there all along.
caliber420
Hunter

Post by caliber420 »

Man I love hunting rabbits with my bow. In the snow you can stalk them the entire hunt with the tracks. So much fun! Ultimate mind game in thorn brush and snow! It's crazy how those cottontails can outwit me. I wanted to hunt some last week, but I was busy all week. Maybe after we get our next good snow next weekend I'll get on some snow bunnies.
https://www.instagram.com/stubborn_bowhunter/
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

What's your set up?
I shoot flu flu's and brunt tip arrows because they are easier to find in the snow. I usually use my 40 pound recurve because it's easier to get off snap shots at running rabbits.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
caliber420
Hunter

Post by caliber420 »

PSE Drive LT 60# weight 28' draw

I'm shooting carbon express maxima reds left over from my september big game hunts.
I fletch them with blazer vanes.
Currently using saunders 100gr bludgeon tips for small game, but sometimes they aren't as lethal as I'd like. They fly well through brush though. And don't dig into the ground at all. Sometimes they'll dig into snow, but it's easy to see the arrow drag path. I really like the muzzy sg-x judos, but it sucks a little more money wise when i lose one and they don't fly well through thick brush. I usually pick up a couple packs of slick tricks for big game, bludgeons, and sg-x judos for small at the beginning of the year when I do my shaft orders. Which reminds me I need to order some arrow components!

I've been carrying a grim reaper mech head I got for turkey with me for predators.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

How do you like mechanical broad heads? Have you had any issues? I would ever shoot one from a trad bow, but when I shot compound, I always heard stories about the blades not opening or something else going wrong, so I stuck with fixed blades.

nosnerb
Outfitter

Post by nosnerb »

Oh man I love snares. Been having a bit of a coon infestation lately, so I thought I was gonna wait until it got cold for their pelts. Every snare (6 of em) had a coon in it. My skinner knife is getting pretty busy. As a young teenager I was really crazy about traps as my dad wouldn't let me carry a gun around without him. I lived in stupid old Illinois at the time and caught too many rabbits to remember. Those were the good days there. Sorry if this was a tad off topic. Just walkin` down memory lane
caliber420
Hunter

Post by caliber420 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:How do you like mechanical broad heads? Have you had any issues? I would ever shoot one from a trad bow, but when I shot compound, I always heard stories about the blades not opening or something else going wrong, so I stuck with fixed blades.
I wouldn't use them on anything bigger than a deer personally. I have also heard horror stories about them not opening on elk and that is one of my biggest fears. Slick trick standards are my main big game broadhead.

I got the grim reapers for turkey because they have massive cutting diameter (assuming they open!) and they have blades on the trocar tip as well. They don't use a band or anything to open, they open from the flesh contact. Pretty cool design actually. They're supposedly made for big game, but I don't like to risk it. I did put one through a rabbits head that got up after taking a bludgeon and it flew perfectly straight through. Hopefully this spring i can put one through a merriam's. getting closer every year hahaha
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

I use gobbler guillotine broad heads for turkey, it's a lot easier to hit them haha.
I actually hunt with a two bladed Bear Razorhead with inserts.

caliber420
Hunter

Post by caliber420 »

I got a bad habit of spooking them by breaking a pine needle haha! This spring im going to get a long beard I can feel it.
I'll definitely use some two blade broadheads if I get a recurve. I might just buy a bear grizzly. I want to get an elk down with trad tackle within the next 3 or 4 years.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”