Sasquatch--Do You Believe

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Howllen
Hunter

Re: Sasquatch--Do You Believe

Post by Howllen »

Aussiebiggame wrote: Are there native american legends about bigfoot? countless Aboriginal stories about them. I've met an aboriginal elder who says she has been around them plenty of times, and i dont really doubt her...
Just curious to see if native american indians (is this politically correct? please dont be offended anyone if not) have similar stories?
"Wildmen stories are found among the indigenous population of the Pacific Northwest. The legends existed prior to a single name for the creature. They differed in their details both regionally and between families in the same community. Similar stories of wildmen are found on every continent except Antarctica.

Members of the Lummi tell tales about Ts'emekwes, the local version of bigfoot. The stories are similar to each other in terms of the general descriptions of Ts'emekwes, but details about the creature's diet and activities differed between the stories of different families.

Some regional versions contained more nefarious creatures. The stiyaha or kwi-kwiyai were a nocturnal race that children were told not to say the names of lest the monsters hear and come to carry off a person—sometimes to be killed. In 1847, Paul Kane reported stories by the native people about skoocooms: a race of cannibalistic wild men living on the peak of Mount St. Helens. The skoocooms appear to have been regarded as supernatural, rather than natural."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasquatch

"Here in the Northwest, and west of the Rockies generally, Indian people regard Bigfoot with great respect. He is seen as a special kind of being, because of his obvious close relationship with humans. Some elders regard him as standing on the "border" between animal-style consciousness and human-style consciousness, which gives him a special kind of power. (It is not that Bigfoot's relationship to make him "superior" to other animals; in Indian culture, unlike western culture, animals are not regarded as "inferior" to humans but rather as "elder brothers" and "teachers" of humans. But tribal cultures everywhere are based on relationship and kinship; the closer the kinship, the stronger the bond...

"But, special being as he is, I have never heard anyone from a Northwestern tribe suggest that Bigfoot is anything other than a physical being, living in the same physical dimensions as humans and other animals. He eats, he sleeps, he poops, he cares for his family members. However, among many Indians elsewhere in North America... as widely separated at the Hopi, the Sioux, the Iroquois, and the Northern Athabascan -- Bigfoot is seen more as a sort of supernatural or spirit being, whose appearance to humans is always meant to convey some kind of message..."

"Ralph Gray Wolf, a visiting Athapaskan Indian from Alaska, told the reporter, "In our way of beliefs, they make appearances at troubled times", to help troubled Indian communities "get more in tune with Mother Earth". Bigfoot brings "signs or messages that there is a need to change, a need to cleanse," (Minn. news article, "Giant Footprint Signals a Time to Seek Change," July 23,1988).

A commenter provided additional information on this term: "Rugaru" comes from the Michif language spoken by the Metis people. Michif is actually a French-Cree/ Algonquian hybrid language. The word "Rugaru" is indeed a cree pronounciation of "Loup Garou."

"The Hopi elders say that the increasing appearances of Bigfoot are not only a message or warning to the individuals or communities to whom he appears, but to humankind at large. As Mathiessen puts it, they see Bigfoot as "a messenger who appears in evil times as a warning from the Creator that man's disrespect for His sacred instructions has upset the harmony and balance of existence." To the Hopi, the "big hairy man" is just one form that the messenger can take."

"Throughout Native North America, Bigfoot is seen as a kind of "brother" to humans. Even among those eastern Algonkian tribes to whom Bigfoot represents the incarnation of the Windigo -- the human who is transformed into a cannibalistic monster by tasting human flesh in time of starvation -- his fearsomeness comes from his very closeness to humans. The Windigo is the embodiment of the hidden, terrifying temptation within them to turn to eating other humans when no other food is to be had. he was still their "elder brother", but a brother who represented a human potential they feared. As such, the Windigo's appearance was sort of a constant warning to them, a reminder that a community whose members turn to eating each other is doomed much more surely than a community that simply has no food. So the figure of the Windigo is not so far removed from the figure of the "messenger" coming to warn humankind of impending disaster if it doesn't cease its destruction of nature."
http://www.bfro.net/legends/
Last edited by Howllen on February 11th, 2012, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momom
Hunter

Post by momom »

Original Americans accept Sasquatch as real; that's their term for him in their own language. It's those of us who's remote ancestors were not born here that doubt Sasquatch's existance.
A1n4n0o4
Outfitter

Post by A1n4n0o4 »

naoutdoors wrote:
A1n4n0o4 wrote:pm naoutdoors and ask him if there is bigfoot out there :lol:

i bet his first thoughts are "this guy must be crazy".
Here is Pennsylvania? Never heard of any sightings. For USA this is more of a subject in Washington, Oregon, Northern California and Florida Everglades.
i actually meant ingame. DereFonzie asked if there are bigfoots in the game :lol:
DereFonzie
Outfitter

Post by DereFonzie »

Well there was this in an older version of the game.

Not sure if its been spotted again since?
Kiwi007
Outfitter

Post by Kiwi007 »

REZ325 wrote:Come on now? In today's technologically advanced world, don't you think some one, some where would have proof (besides a foot print)? If some crazy "Red Neck" would have seen and shot one, it would have been all over the internet (Providing they have it, LOL!!!) major news story? Like UFO's (opps) still nothing except story. Loch Ness monster? Stories, Stories, Stories, all good for around the campfire & forums.
Exactly what I think. These day almost everyone in developed countries has a camera or a phone with one. Ones that take good clear photos ... not blurred crap.

The foot prints are just hoaxes nothing else.

UFO's well theres another whole debate. Do they exsist? IMO life does exsist on other planets just cant see them making it to our planet and if they did and they had the technology to do so.... why would they light their craft up like a christmas tree!! I doubt anyone on earth has ever seen a UFO.
7STW
Outfitter

Post by 7STW »

Even the "Monster Quest" stuff on the History Channel is bogus.

Imagine females camped trying to find one of the critters.They are "awakened" at night by the "sound" of something pushing on the top of their tent.Their tent has an open mesh top.

Would even moronic campers hit the sack without a flashlight in the tent? Just turn it on and shine it through the mesh top.See what's there.

But they didn't do that.Wonder why?

And where was the 870 with slugs located? A month in the deep boonies unarmed?

C'mon.
REZ325
Hunter
Location: Hanging out the paratroop door of the Mighty C-130 Hercules

Post by REZ325 »

I watched that 10 minute video the other member posted here, if that was my video & i owned that freezer, I would have drugged it out of the freezer and showed it off to the whole world, I would not just let it lay there and deliver a narrative about it. I personally would like to know how "Well Endowed" it was, LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o
Howllen
Hunter

Post by Howllen »

The Freezer Bigfoot (if it's the same one) was a Hoax...

On July 9, 2008, Rick Dyer and Matthew Whitton posted a video to YouTube claiming that they had discovered the body of a dead Sasquatch in a forest in northern Georgia. Tom Biscardi was contacted to investigate. Dyer and Whitton received $50,000 from Searching for Bigfoot, Inc., as a good faith gesture. The story of the men's claims was covered by many major news networks, including BBC, CNN, ABC News, and Fox News. Soon after a press conference, the alleged Bigfoot body arrived in a block of ice in a freezer with the Searching for Bigfoot team. When the contents were thawed, it was discovered that the hair was not real, the head was hollow, and the feet were rubber. Dyer and Whitton subsequently admitted it was a hoax after being confronted by Steve Kulls, executive director of Squatchdetective.com.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasquatch
Kiwi007
Outfitter

Post by Kiwi007 »

REZ325 wrote:I watched that 10 minute video the other member posted here, if that was my video & i owned that freezer, I would have drugged it out of the freezer and showed it off to the whole world, I would not just let it lay there and deliver a narrative about it. I personally would like to know how "Well Endowed" it was, LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o
What video? Can you post the link please?
Howllen
Hunter

Post by Howllen »

Guessing this one Kiwi...
BeardCollector wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDS4c3eurh4

Is this a dead one? I don't know but it looks pretty real.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”