Way of the Hunter - New game coming

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: Way of the Hunter - New game coming

Post by OldMtnMan »

A few will get it to test before release. So, even without a demo we can see how it will be.

You're right about the scope. We don't know what level he was at for the video. Here's hoping it will be better than what we have now. I want to be able to take a standing shot with no assist and hold steady. In real life I took all my hunting shots from standing offhand shots. I should be able to do it in game too.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
FullDiesel
Tracker

Post by FullDiesel »

OldMtnMan wrote:A few will get it to test before release. So, even without a demo we can see how it will be.
True, but those few testers probably won't say much until the release, except for some vids where they present the game: like what kind of hunting rifles will be available, some equipment, a bit about exploring the maps, a bit about what kind of species you can hunt on those 2 maps and probably that's about it, the more important details will probably left for us to discover. Some might be pleasant, some might be not.

I just hope the game will have more positive sides than negatives. Still if the AI is poorly done, and animals are clumsy I don't think I'll care too much about it. And it's these kind of things testers don't usually tell you.
Elmer Fudd is the ultimate hunter. He never catches the wabbit, but he never gives up ;)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

At least we can see the gameplay instead of what we see on a trailer. That will tell us a lot more than what we know now.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I sure like the sound of the storyline.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/04/thq-nor ... ies-and-pc
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
FullDiesel
Tracker

Post by FullDiesel »

Yeah the story is pretty cool.
Elmer Fudd is the ultimate hunter. He never catches the wabbit, but he never gives up ;)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I worry about both games. It seems games like COTW are what the majority want. Just a FPS shooter game using animals as targets. It's far removed from hunting and shouldn't even be considered a hunting game. Actually, it should never be a hunting game. Only hunting sims should qualify.
The problem is a real hunting sim will be boring to the majority and it won't make it. I think that's what killed Hunting Simulator2. They tried to keep it real and that's not what Joe Shooter wants. What the makers need to do is have two complete modes. A hard core hunting mode and a shooter mode. Then everybody is happy.

Set it up so Joe Shooter will have no interest in hunting the hare core mode. Do that by having no competitions. Hunting isn't a competition. Also, nobody can see your stats in hard core mode. So, no way for Joe Shooter to brag and show off. Make it so only hunters will be interested in hard core mode. Let the egomaniacs play shooter mode.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
FullDiesel
Tracker

Post by FullDiesel »

Sure, especially if you think the video games market is saturated with FPS. At least those few hunting games they release should be more realistic, at least they should try make them that way. But you know, money talk and they will always comply to what most want, and in all honesty most don't care about experiencing at least for a bit what hunting is, at least as much as a PC can offer, they want things done quick. There's an old saying patience is a virtue.

COTW as far as I understood, had real problems from the very beginning (moose flying and other stuff like that) while the price was a bit spicy. I don't know, maybe they've fixed a lot of these problem now, but I kind a lost interest in it.
pastuh
Scout

Post by pastuh »

At this moment all games have same simple functions.. call..reload..shoot..
So graphics of the game will not attract me. Something new must be introduced.

Developers could add other ways of hunting.
Hunting cameras, traps.. slower hunting that could work even when the player is offline..

Still strange why not exist more reaction required hunts.
Example..
Squirrels which could jump from tree to tree
Otter hunting which requires speed to react. If you fail, thats it.. wait for next hour..
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

To start a hunt you have to enter a lottery for the tag. You win only one tag for one animal. Choose wisely.

Then make it much harder to find an animal. Dumb down the calls so the animal may or may not come to it. You'll at some point figure out it's better to sneak into the animal then to sit on your butt waiting for it. Go hunt!

Make the kill zone smaller. Require the shot to be much more accurate. You only get to shoot one shot.

Skin out the animal and pack the meat in a backpack. A lot of meat takes more than one trip. Maybe have horses to haul the meat and take the hunter to farther areas. Stay in an area for a couple of days camping.

When you finally get the meat back to the cabin you're awarded cash to buy your supplies. Animals killed will be recorded but it's just for your benefit. No-one else can see it. No trophies. No awards of any kind. You want a contest. Play baseball. This is hunting. There should be some progress and reward for becoming a better hunter but i'm not sure what. Some guys need that.

This is a pipe dream of mine. I'm sure i'll never see it. Keep in mind the sim would also have a shooter mode. So, nobody would have to hunt this hard core mode unless they really wanted to.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Huh?

Jason Carll
8 days ago
Generation Zero is by
Systemic Reaction™

Ragnar Gaming

Ragnar Gaming
Ragnar Gaming
3 days ago
You are not wrong, However Avalanche Studios (Same people as those involved in COTW) published under the name Systematic Reaction, and worked with THQ Nordic to publish Generation Zero
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”