Windows 11

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
BCKidd

Windows 11

Post by BCKidd »

So, I get this- "Your PC currently doesn't have the requirements to update to Windows 11." Then it gave me a list of things I need to be able to get it. What a crock of hooey. Is anyone here using Windows 11? And how is it? ;) Respectfully,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: Windows 11

Post by OldMtnMan »

It hasn't been offered to me yet. I did see if my system will run it and it passed. I need to read a lot more reviews before I try it. If I ever do. No problems with what I have now.

What made you try it?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

Best wait a few months if you want it, let others work out all the problems first.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

OldMtnMan wrote:It hasn't been offered to me yet. I did see if my system will run it and it passed. I need to read a lot more reviews before I try it. If I ever do. No problems with what I have now.

What made you try it?
I haven't tried it yet. Since my system hasn't got some requirements, unless I buy a new PC, chances are I'll stick with Windows 10- until Mr. Microsoft decides to stop supporting 10. ;) Respect,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

BCKidd wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:It hasn't been offered to me yet. I did see if my system will run it and it passed. I need to read a lot more reviews before I try it. If I ever do. No problems with what I have now.

What made you try it?
I haven't tried it yet. Since my system hasn't got some requirements, unless I buy a new PC, chances are I'll stick with Windows 10- until Mr. Microsoft decides to stop supporting 10. ;) Respect,

BCKidd.
I downloaded it today and am about to play the game to see if there are any differences. Seems snappier in menus etc. for sure, and looks good too, but the proof is in the pudding: we shall see if there is anything worth swallowing. I don't think it will make much difference in this game, but new games will supposedly see a boost, so it might be good for COTW fans.
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

I can play any game on my rig but it seems my CPU (not tested as compatible despite being just as fast as newer CPUs (with less cores)) and motherboard (mobo has TPM header but seems bios will only run TPM 1.2 and 2.0 is required) are too old for windows 11. Ridiculous. Certainly not spending $700+ for CPU/Mobo/Ram upgrade just to run it. :?
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Deconstructed wrote:I can play any game on my rig but it seems my CPU (not tested as compatible despite being just as fast as newer CPUs (with less cores)) and motherboard (mobo has TPM header but seems bios will only run TPM 1.2 and 2.0 is required) are too old for windows 11. Ridiculous. Certainly not spending $700+ for CPU/Mobo/Ram upgrade just to run it. :?
What about a BIOS update? Is that not available? Which CPU do you have? If you don't play newer games it won't make any difference anyway. This is a DirectX 9 game. Nothing can be done about that.
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

JimboCrow wrote:
Deconstructed wrote:I can play any game on my rig but it seems my CPU (not tested as compatible despite being just as fast as newer CPUs (with less cores)) and motherboard (mobo has TPM header but seems bios will only run TPM 1.2 and 2.0 is required) are too old for windows 11. Ridiculous. Certainly not spending $700+ for CPU/Mobo/Ram upgrade just to run it. :?
What about a BIOS update? Is that not available? Which CPU do you have? If you don't play newer games it won't make any difference anyway. This is a DirectX 9 game. Nothing can be done about that.
Asus has not released a bios update for TPM beyond 1.2 (which was the minimum required for win 11 until just before they released it). Not really in their interest to do so if they want to sell more motherboards. i5 4690k running with a slight overclock at 3.9 mhz. I have no issues even running new games. I imagine at some point my CPU would show as compatible but unless Asus releases a bios update I'll be sticking with win 10 until something breaks and forces me to upgrade.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Mine too, but there are already ways to get around the restrictions. One current method is to use the Windows 10 installer to install Windows 11. The "checks" are done by the installer, and the Windows 10 installer doesn't do the checks, so it just goes ahead and installs Windows 11 with no problems. There are already several videos on YouTube showing how to do it, and it only takes a few extra minutes. No one is sure if MicroNazi will eventually stop this from working, or if you'll have to do it again when they release major updates (features) in the future.

Mine fails 3 tests.

No secure boot...
No TPM 2.0....
Incompatible CPU....Which is shocking since my CPU is an i7-5960 Extreme, which even though it's 6-7 years old, is still a monster with 8 physical and 16 logical cores running at 4.4 GHz. It was Intel's top of the line back then, and cost $1000 if I recall.

But as others have said, it's probably best to wait several months before even trying 11 out, so the bleeding edge folks can work out the kinks and all the various drivers can get updated.
Last edited by Fletchette on October 6th, 2021, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personal Bests...
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Well, I was wrong. You guys got me curious and I could have swore I checked my system before and it passed. I just did a check and it doesn't pass now. My CPU is i7 7700K @ 4.8 mhz.

Oh well. I probably wouldn't have installed it anyway.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”