Old hunting games: a blast from the past

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Old hunting games: a blast from the past

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Let's take a short moment to reminisce about old hunting games from the past.

When I was in high school my best friend at the time had "Redneck Deer Huntin for PC" (1998). It was that game and James Bond 007 for the Nintendo 64. We didn't have a PC in my house growing up, so I'd go over to his house and play these games with him for hours. It was the best thing I'd ever seen of it's kind at the time. Now, looking back on that game who can't help but cringe?

Some years later, I had the Playstation 2 and that was a great console for a while. I used to play "Cabella's Big Game Hunter" on that console which seemed like the best hunting game at the time. After a while I grew board of it because it really wasn't that good of a game in my opinion. For one thing, the hunting reserves were small. With lame features like the "bullet cam" (I don't like), and animal beacons (I don't like), it felt more like chasing animals across a small contained map that I could always see their location. That's why the game, aside from poor graphics and annoying intro music, quickly got boring. After a while I couldn't try to make that game fun even if I tried to roll play. :lol:

Up until games like TheHunter Classic and Minecraft came into being, I didn't experience the problem of games being too addictive and fun, and addictive and fun for years and years and years. It's a strange kind of problem in gaming.
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Re: Old hunting games: a blast from the past

Post by mel_o_mel »

Yeah, that cabellas game was pretty bad. That Redneck Deer Huntin' looks fun though.

Trophy Hunter 2003 was pretty great.

Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

mel_o_mel wrote:Yeah, that cabellas game was pretty bad. That Redneck Deer Huntin' looks fun though.

Trophy Hunter 2003 was pretty great.

There is something about some of the deer hunting games of the late 90's that brings back nastalgia for me. It's that pixely sort of graphics that has a charm to it. That's the part I do miss in a way sometimes. Problem with some of these early games though is they only had a couple deer to hunt and that was it. Not to mention, bad animations. Environment looked good though for that time. Then the next generation of graphics went into that weird awkward phase of 3D graphics that were so bad I hate seeing some of those early 2000's games even 20 years later.

Never played trophy hunter, or any of the games in the "Deer Hunter" series. I'll check it out on youtube. Hey guess what I found yesterday! What a nice bro! I downloaded and was able to load up the game very quickly. I didn't even have to wait for the game to install. It's ready to go after download. :)

Leadfan
Tracker

Post by Leadfan »

Cabela's Outdoor Adventures 2006 was my favorite out of old games:
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

newer cabelas was still fun. The hunter really should have that bulletcam as an option. It´s quite educational,

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”