Laptop recommendations

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
Kiwi007
Outfitter

Laptop recommendations

Post by Kiwi007 »

Anyone using a gaming laptop to play classic?

Ideally would prefer something super super quiet that also handles the game and looks good.
jttoo
Hunter

Re: Laptop recommendations

Post by jttoo »

I have an two year old Alienware 17 R5, with a 17 inch display and a GTX 1070 GPU. It plays games very well, and I have not yet had any performance problems while gaming.

I'm not sure that the requirement for "super quiet" and "gaming laptop" go together. A gaming laptop should have a powerful GPU, which means lots of heat, and lots of fan noise. If you are looking for a laptop to play Classic I don't think you need to move to the 'gaming laptop' category with an intense GPU. My wife's laptop with a i7-1165G7 processor with embedded GPU plays the game just fine, is super light and quiet.

The compute and GPU needs to play Classic are pretty low from what I can see. TheHunter Call of the Wild on the other hand cooks my GPU, to the point that I was concerned about it overheating. This led me to open up the case and clean my GPU and CPU fans, and prop up the back up the laptop to get better airflow. These steps made a degree or 2 of difference in the GPU temperature, but it is still way too hot at like 89 degrees C while playing COTW.
Kiwi007
Outfitter

Post by Kiwi007 »

Cheers will try one of the laptops around home first
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

a desktop is out of the question? Better performance for a lower price. Much easier to cool and you can fit a larger monitor that make a huge difference particularly for the hunter in regard of spotting and immersion :) lap top monitor can still be useful as a secondary monitor though.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

desktop is if you have the space far better for gaming. if not your budget is the key to what you can get.
Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

I assume more power less noise, if you want something for TheHunter you will probably need a high-end laptop which will not use so many resources and power in order to perform well.
I joined the forum in order to post pictures and videos from gameplay, also to get news, updates and additional features..Everything I say or post is purely for fun purposes.

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”