Why is there no decent bigfoot game?

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
xOEDragonx

Re: Why is there no decent bigfoot game?

Post by xOEDragonx »

While not necessarily bigfoot related at all, have you ever looked at the game Subnautica? It's an underwater survival game, though not as hardcore survival focused as The Long Dark is. You need to eat and drink and whatnot to stay alive but the focus is less on that and more on exploring the alien ocean world around you and trying to press forward in a story that will help you get answers to why you're there and escape the planet. I know at first glance that doesn't really sound like quite the exact game you're looking for either but one thing that game does have is that "moodiness" like TLD has and whenever we mention creepy glimpses of bigfoot in a survival game I can't help but have flashbacks to Subnautica. There are many times when you're just exploring a deep open ocean and you hear a terrifying noise in the distance or see a dark shape looming in the waters ahead... and there are monsters out in those deep waters. There are terrifying creatures that can catch you off guard in that game and turn a relatively peaceful exploration adventure into a moment of pure terror and panic. If you've never heard of it, it might be a game worth looking into but just be warned that if it does catch your eye, then I wouldn't watch too much gameplay of it. Half the fun in that game is discovering exactly what lies in the deep...
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

I just check my steam page and I have 193 hours on record for Subnautica. I played that, starting off in as many different ways as I could try. Good game and worth buying, but the repeatability is kinda lacking, versus the 1057 hours I have in TLD or the 1105 hours I have in Kenshi. Kenshi is another good 'survival' game if you like that genre. Everything is trying to kill or enslave you in that game! Very cool game!
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Yes that's it's biggest weakness. It's one of those games where not knowing what's out there is probably the most exciting bit. Once you've done the story and seen all the creatures once, it loses a bit of that mystery that makes it so interesting. It's still a cool world to explore and you can certainly get enough game play out of it to make it worth the price tag, but yes, after you beat it once or twice it's just not going to be that exciting anymore.

Whereas with The Long Dark, even though I know all of the potential threats and most of the spawn areas for good items and places for good bases, the replayability of it never seems to end for me. Honestly the most fun part of The Long Dark for me is starting off a new run. Once you get yourself in a position where you have a surplus of food, ammunition, firestarters and water, it becomes less of a challenge and more of just a grind to see how many days you can last before you get bored. Interloper is pretty exciting because it seems like you can never really get that much of a surplus so every day feels like a challenge. But then you also have to be pretty good at the game already before you dive into interloper if you want to stand a chance.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

xOEDragonx wrote:Honestly the most fun part of The Long Dark for me is starting off a new run.
Yes, I feel the same way. I SO wish that they had a completely randomized open-world play mode, where all the buildings and potential shelter/loot spots are unknown. When you start, you would have no idea which direction to head for the closest shelter, and every map would be a complete new exploration. I don't think I will forget the first play of that game, where you spawn in and have no idea where to get shelter from the cold.

There are not many games with a completely procedurally generated worlds. That is one of the nicer aspects of the Unreal World survival game. Every new game is completely new, and open to be explored.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

Subnatica is my favorite open-world survival game of all time, it one of the only games that I can give a perfect 10/10 to. It's one of the most unique games as well, the closest thing I can find to Subnatica is No Mans Sky (But that's space) and Soma (A survival horror game underwater), and Don't Starve (Open world 2d survival, very unique art style). Also thanks for reminding me, I need to finish the story mode of Subnatica, will do that a bit later.
FullDiesel
Tracker

Post by FullDiesel »

curlyCoyote wrote:Soma (A survival horror game underwater)
Soma ís da bomb. Good one.
Elmer Fudd is the ultimate hunter. He never catches the wabbit, but he never gives up ;)
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

curlyCoyote wrote:Subnatica is my favorite open-world survival game of all time
You need to try Kenshi! It is simply the most amazing open-world sandbox. There is little to no story line to follow, so once you get established and properly equipped there isn't a lot to do, other than take over the world if you want. Once you know the game and it gets too easy, there are good mods that can make the game very difficult by increasing the combat damage and making it much harder to make money.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

FullDiesel wrote:Well pumas and lynxs are kinda like the bigfoot of THC, except they have little feet. So I guess you can just call them littlefoot ;)
Well....actually I was at Timbergold today hunting for Puma and as I was walking up one of the obscure access roads to the mountains I spotted something that gave me chills and is why I'll never ever go back to Timbergold ever again.....

*This is my photoshop version of what I'm imagining when I play The Hunter. That animal up on the ridge....my crazy mind sees it THIS WAY.....
**No, the shadowy figure on the ridge of the mountain you see here in the following three images is NOT actually in the game. But what IF it was? :o
We can always imagine right? :mrgreen:

FullDiesel
Tracker

Post by FullDiesel »

He he, be careful not to shoot Sheriff Buck Williams. I believe sometimes, he roams on the peaks of TGT, studying the new intruders (Puma).
Elmer Fudd is the ultimate hunter. He never catches the wabbit, but he never gives up ;)

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”