Why is there no decent bigfoot game?

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Why is there no decent bigfoot game?

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

It's always been a disappointing observation of mine that every game I've seen on the market that involves bigfoot is totally crap. Every game I've seen they make bigfoot a satire and for that reason the games are cheesy and lame. Why? Why do game developers do this? A game about bigfoot could be something really cool. It could be an experience that is truly mysterious and scary for the player. Game developers could hypothetically create a unique experience that players like myself want to have in a bigfoot game. But that would take some thought to create these feelings for the player for real. Not, a cheap thing like every game I've seen so far about bigfoot. I mean an immersive game, well thought out, that takes place in an open expansive environment. It makes no sense to me that someone hasn't come out with a bigfoot game where they do it right.

Now that I've had my mini-rant on this matter, maybe someone reading this is aware good games with bigfoot that I'm not aware of?

I'm curious what others envision to be a "good" bigfoot game? What would that look like for you?

For me, I imagine a game similar to The Hunter, and The Long Dark. I imagine something that captures that a mixture of feelings of mystery, fascination, and fear. I'm not sure the best approach is to frame it as a game about bigfoot. I want the character to come out of left field and draw me into another world within the game I wasn't expecting. Imagine a game like The Long Dark, where it's about survival but there is also the likely possibility of encountering this mysterious creature that hangs on the periphery of your awareness as the player.

Speaking of The Long Dark, I haven't played it yet even though I recently purchased it. Still cannot get the game to run without crashing. I might be out of luck with that until I upgrade my system. If bigfoot is seen in that game, I wouldn't yet know.
jttoo
Hunter

Re: Why is there no decent bigfoot game?

Post by jttoo »

I've spent 1000+ hours playing TLD and am pretty sure there is no Bigfoot in the game! :D

Its an ok game, but it is too bad that the wolves are so exceptionally overly aggressive. I guess they had no other way to create enough danger in the game.

I wish the survival aspect of TLD was more realistic too. You will search the forest for birch bark for tinder, while there are dries grasses waving in the wind a few feet away. You will freeze for lack of a good coat, while there is a sleeping bag right next to you. Wear the damned sleeping bag already! You have to go search for wood, while there are boards stacked next to the hut you are sheltering in. Basically, everything visible in the game should be useable, because that is what you would do in a survival situation.

The best survival game I have played is Unreal World. The graphics are non-existent but the survival and building/crafting aspects are solid. Spent a LOT of time playing this game. It is set in the early iron-age in Finland, and you can start off with nothing, absolutely nothing, and try and survive. Make a stone axe and knife, make a primitive javelin and use it to spear fish, and hope that you can get enough food to survive. Its quite an amazing game. Too bad there are no graphics.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

I have 7 hours on TLD and I am stuck on the first chapter...(Can't open the bank vault even when I have the key for some reason), I know they used to have this Dark Walker mode where you were chased by a fat man-deer or whatever it classifies as. Would definitely recommend, good preparation for Canada. Yeah, I also used to have like 3 fps on that game, but I upgraded to a 1030 gt and I am getting 30-50 fps.

A good bigfoot game has to be horror I think or a comedy one, but making comedy games is very hard, it's much easier to make horror games, the best bigfoot game that I know of is Finding Bigfoot, its basically a horror where you try to kill the bigfoot by either going out guns blazing or using traps with meat or cameras for surveillance.

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

curlyCoyote wrote:I have 7 hours on TLD and I am stuck on the first chapter...(Can't open the bank vault even when I have the key for some reason),
This might be a dumb question, but are you sure you have the right key? It's been a long time since I played the first chapter of the story but I remember finding "the" key, getting frustrated that I couldn't open the bank vault and then realizing at some point the key I had found was for the post office and not the bank.

My ideal bigfoot game would probably be something like what Flame suggests. A primarily survival-focused game, probably out in the deep woods somewhere. Perhaps you're character is an individual who wanted to go prove bigfoot was real and when headed way out into the backwoods, something happens and you lose almost all of your gear and have to start practically from scratch out in the wilderness. Immediate goals would be to find resources to build impromptu shelters, make some basic traps or fishing spear so you can get food and find a clean water source. All the while you're trying to figure out how you're going to survive, you catch glimpses of something moving way out in the distance. Like, when you turn your screen quickly there's something out there but then when you pause to look it's gone. As you progress perhaps you start hearing noises that don't sound like wildlife. Tree-knocking or something poking around your camp in the night. Maybe you can look at tracks in the game and find ones that look almost human, but larger. I'm thinking a survival game with that suspenseful "there's something else out here" feeling without you ever getting to see exactly what that "something" is. It might even be fun with horror elements, like that something is actually hunting you and your constant efforts to find it are the only thing that keeps it in hiding. When you let your guard down, it attacks. Something like that. I'm on the fence about whether or not a bigfoot in such a hypothetical game should be a constant presence that you can actually see here and there, or if it would almost be creepier if you never actually get to see the beast. I just feel like the moment a big hairy human looking thing comes running through the woods at you and you can see the threat, it loses some of it's horror element and starts to turn into that awkward comedic situation that existing games seem to have.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

xOEDragonx wrote:
curlyCoyote wrote:I have 7 hours on TLD and I am stuck on the first chapter...(Can't open the bank vault even when I have the key for some reason),
This might be a dumb question, but are you sure you have the right key? It's been a long time since I played the first chapter of the story but I remember finding "the" key, getting frustrated that I couldn't open the bank vault and then realizing at some point the key I had found was for the post office and not the bank.
Gonna need to redownload the entire game to find that out. Also, I am 95% sure I have the correct key, it just won't give me the prompt to open the vault with a key.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

That would be a cool game xOEDragonx.

Sort of like a Blair Witch Project type survival game. Ever watch that movie? Pretty creepy! That could be the basis of the survival game. You're out camping with some frineds, who all get 'gotten' by something during the early stages of the game. You're left with little to survive with, and when you try to escape back to civilization, you find that you are in a closed loop map, where you go around in circles.
FullDiesel
Tracker

Post by FullDiesel »

Well pumas and lynxs are kinda like the bigfoot of THC, except they have little feet. So I guess you can just call them littlefoot ;)
Elmer Fudd is the ultimate hunter. He never catches the wabbit, but he never gives up ;)
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

jttoo wrote:I've spent 1000+ hours playing TLD and am pretty sure there is no Bigfoot in the game! :D

Its an ok game, but it is too bad that the wolves are so exceptionally overly aggressive. I guess they had no other way to create enough danger in the game.

I wish the survival aspect of TLD was more realistic too. You will search the forest for birch bark for tinder, while there are dries grasses waving in the wind a few feet away. You will freeze for lack of a good coat, while there is a sleeping bag right next to you. Wear the damned sleeping bag already! You have to go search for wood, while there are boards stacked next to the hut you are sheltering in. Basically, everything visible in the game should be useable, because that is what you would do in a survival situation.

The best survival game I have played is Unreal World. The graphics are non-existent but the survival and building/crafting aspects are solid. Spent a LOT of time playing this game. It is set in the early iron-age in Finland, and you can start off with nothing, absolutely nothing, and try and survive. Make a stone axe and knife, make a primitive javelin and use it to spear fish, and hope that you can get enough food to survive. Its quite an amazing game. Too bad there are no graphics.
Thanks for your comment! Never heard of Unreal World. Though, I looked it up and from what I've seen so far it has a charm to it that brings me back to childhood. Looks like I'm going to have to try that one out.

As for TLD, it's hard for me to comment much about it as I haven't played yet. Just bought it recently but I can't get it to load without crashing. I'll either keep seeking a fix, or have to wait till I upgrade my system. I'm running a 2012 HP laptop, dual core, on windows 7. After watching many playthroughs of the game it looks like a really good survival game I would enjoy. I really like the moodiness of the environment which gives it a creepy tone to the experience. That's why I believe a bigfoot game done right, the way I would like to see a bigfoot game, TLD would be a good stage from which to build on that idea I think. It looks like a game like that, they already got the creepiness factor going on with an expansive open world. I'd like to see a game like that where you're surviving or at least a compelling adventure story, but then have the creepiness go off the scale with a bigfoot (and maybe even other monsters) that loom in the background of the game.

As I see it, if the game is all about bigfoot, that has a high chance of spoiling the mystery. How cool would that be though to see a creepy survival game roughly like TLD but they have this bigfoot thing going on in the background that becomes almost like a game within a game? It's like, you think this is about survival, but then you discover this world is 100 times creepier than you thought and you want to investigate and explore what this creature is out in the wilderness. That would be cool! That's the kind of bigfoot game I want to see; not a cheesy satire of the creature.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

curlyCoyote wrote:
A good bigfoot game has to be horror I think or a comedy one, but making comedy games is very hard, it's much easier to make horror games, the best bigfoot game that I know of is Finding Bigfoot, its basically a horror where you try to kill the bigfoot by either going out guns blazing or using traps with meat or cameras for surveillance.

Regarding bigfoot being either a horror game or a comedy, I don't know about that. Even though I'm no game designer it's clear to me that most games in the history of video games are very CONVENTIONAL in their approach. Before Minecraft came out, I had swore off video games completely because most games bored me to tears because they were all doing the same thing up until that time: conventional gameplay styles peppered into cut movie scenes that followed a set story plot. It seemed more like I was watching a movie instead of playing a game. Why do I say that? Because most of these things are conventional and predictable when there are so much to be explored and imagined....so many other possibilities. I don't think a bigfoot game has to be like anything we've seen so far. Again, all the stuff I've seen so far in video games it's like they didn't even try to do something.

Mind you, I don't consider myself a gamer. Though I am a creative in a variety of media. Knowing what I know about creating art, many concepts bleed over into other media. It is a rare game where developers have imagined beyond conventional ways of creating games. We're all used to everything being conventional in particular ways. We are used to thinking of scary movies as "horror". I don't see "scary" and "horror" as being the same thing. It annoys me when movies or games in the horror genre make it a joke or satire - something you would think should be scary and it's made to be funny. I hate that. Only a few come along that create something that's actually scary. Think of the author H.P. Lovecraft. His work is way out of the league of most authors trying to write something scary. And I appreciate "scary" in the way I appreciate Lovecraft. It's an art form.

I've seen myself rare moments in games were it's actually scary or creepy. Those moments seem rare. I always imagined a game in my mind was possible that was expansive like the best open world sandbox games of today, but that focused on creating those creepy fear factor in a really good bigfoot game. Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing vampires and wearwolves in the same game as well. The thing about bigfoot though is it's always made to look silly. I want to see game developers make it as realistic as possible and take it seriously including all the bigfoot signs that people witness in the real world. The problem is everyone approaches it in the most conventional way possible. I hate that. I'm no game developer though I sometimes wish I was so I could relieve my desire to see the kind of bigfoot game I always wished for.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

FullDiesel wrote:Well pumas and lynxs are kinda like the bigfoot of THC, except they have little feet. So I guess you can just call them littlefoot ;)
It's funny you put it like that because I do find myself imagining the rare species of animals in The Hunter are the bigfoot I'm hunting for. LOL! Why not? The environment is perfect. The game is already perfectly set up to have a bigfoot righ?! We can still imagine! :D

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”