A new unannounced AAA hunting game is in the works

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
Leadfan
Tracker

A new unannounced AAA hunting game is in the works

Post by Leadfan »

From the job description here, I got this information:

Avalanche Studios Group is now looking for a talented Character Mechanics Programmer to join a top-tier, experienced team to create fun and engaging game experiences to an unannounced AAA project.

Work side by side with designers, animators and producers to realize complex and realistic animal behavior. Take part in designing and implementing their senses and needs using and extending existing tools as well as implementing game systems related to pathfinding, decision making, group movement and locomotion. This role will require you to take high level design ideas and translate them into practical solutions. You will join the Avalanche engineers in developing and maintaining our proprietary Apex Engine.

Coding complex and realistic animal behavior will take a long time, so not sure about the release date.
pastuh
Scout

Re: A new unannounced AAA hunting game is in the works

Post by pastuh »

Interesting :) So need wait around 4 years..
Strange word "designing".. just open any documentary about animals and you will see realistic animals :D
Leadfan
Tracker

Post by Leadfan »

pastuh wrote:Interesting :) So need wait around 4 years..
Strange word "designing".. just open any documentary about animals and you will see realistic animals :D
That is what theHunter Classic fans have been asking for years: more realistic animal behavior. Do you want more of the same simplistic and shallow animals AI of theHunter Classic. No sorry, this has become very outdated. The day they will release such a game, you will see the real conversion, and yourself going to leave both COTW and Classic forever. If you want nonintelligent animals with better graphics then you have COTW. You should not be missing something better.

There is a very big difference between watching realistic animal behavior on a tv and interacting with them in a videogame: no way to compare them, especially considering VR in mind as it goes hand in hand with simulation and realism.
FullDiesel
Tracker

Post by FullDiesel »

AAA games and VR for the moment are a distant dream. The only "AAA games" that trully work for VR at the time being are those like pool or snooker. THC in comparison with a lot of hunting games realeased today, still does a marvellous job and the only thing that gives him away as being more than a decade old, are its outdated graphics, that still look nice even for today standards, if you ask me. Of course if you are drooling for some ultra realistic sceneries, there are hunting games that look better, but they lack in almost any other department compared to THC.
Elmer Fudd is the ultimate hunter. He never catches the wabbit, but he never gives up ;)
Leadfan
Tracker

Post by Leadfan »

FullDiesel wrote:AAA games and VR for the moment are a distant dream. The only "AAA games" that trully work for VR at the time being are those like pool or snooker. THC in comparison with a lot of hunting games realeased today, still does a marvellous job and the only thing that gives him away as being more than a decade old, are its outdated graphics, that still look nice even for today standards, if you ask me. Of course if you are drooling for some ultra realistic sceneries, there are hunting games that look better, but they lack in almost any other department compared to THC.
Half-Life: Alyx is AAA and is leading the conversion to VR as a gaming medium. I agree that theHunter Classic is the best ever made hunting game but the shallow AI and outdated graphics leave a lot to be desired.
FullDiesel
Tracker

Post by FullDiesel »

Leadfan wrote:Half-Life: Alyx is AAA and is leading the conversion to VR as a gaming medium.
I wouldn't want a hunting game where I invested in cammo, but I can only see the weapon and some gloves. Plus there's the MP problem. VR itself has a long way to go until it can call itself truly immersive.
Elmer Fudd is the ultimate hunter. He never catches the wabbit, but he never gives up ;)
zacht180

Post by zacht180 »

Think they could be getting ready for a fishing sim?
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

That is my guess. There have been rumors about one for a while now.

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
SamJones25

Post by SamJones25 »

but why is so unannounced AAA project. is it gonna be a New Hunting Game next Year?
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

FullDiesel wrote:
Leadfan wrote:Half-Life: Alyx is AAA and is leading the conversion to VR as a gaming medium.
I wouldn't want a hunting game where I invested in cammo, but I can only see the weapon and some gloves. Plus there's the MP problem. VR itself has a long way to go until it can call itself truly immersive.
This is a really odd statement though. If VR has a long way to go where you have 100 % correct scaling and 3D what do then 2D monitor gaming has where nothing is in proper scale and there is no 3D?

It´s no real problem in modelling your clothes except for just your hands and make it look kind of natural. Our arms have a limited range of natural movements only our hands and wrists are really flexible. Using a noobtube for stock feels so close to my experience in the military service it´s so close to 1:1 bar the weight thankfully. It still make my shoulders ache when using in longer periods but that is realistic I suppose for an old guy.

As for Triple A and avalanche I dunno. TrippelA budgets for games in 2020 is insane and there is an insane amount of people involved. VR exclusive in this case is very unlikely but can hope they do both. Roomscale is really cool and all but just the immersion of proper scale and 3D is enough to make it way more immersive despite still using mouse and keyboard and relaxing in a chair. Even vorpx version of the hunter classic really prooved how far ahead that was in immersion despite all the errors and the fake 3D you do get with vorpx.

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”