What game am I playing?

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Re: What game am I playing?

Post by curlyCoyote »

VonStratos wrote:Last game of that style was the Ark, i like that survive style sandbox games, but the bad part is that in multiplayer they tend to become in troll simulators. How are the tech requirements? need a fast pc, or a pc able to run Classic may run that in decent fps?
I remember downloading ARK survival evolved in early 2017, i loaded the game in the lowest settings and i had a frame maybe every 2 seconds at best.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

VonStratos wrote:How are the tech requirements? need a fast pc, or a pc able to run Classic may run that in decent fps?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/8408 ... _Old_West/
On here, scroll down to System Requirements.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Thanks HooCairs, looks really interesting, but it seem i need a better pc to run it decently.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Very cool lookin' game, I jus' might have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing Hoo. ;) Respectfully,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

HooCairs wrote:
VonStratos wrote:How are the tech requirements? need a fast pc, or a pc able to run Classic may run that in decent fps?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/8408 ... _Old_West/
On here, scroll down to System Requirements.
Hi Hoo, are you still playing this?

I love survival games, and wish COTW/Classic had survival mechanics where you had to eat/drink and could live off the land. In that game, how is the multiplayer? Do you have to worry about getting ganked whenever you go to town? Is the whole world PVP? Can you play without PVP?
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

You can play PVE as well. Then there will be some bandits, "dangerous" animals and bigfoot. I haven't played in almost a year though.

Multiplayer (PVP) can be both friendly with folks chatting and helping each other, or people going nuts trying to build a fortress, grind for money and build dynamite so they can take over the map. Looks kinda silly then and is far from immersive to me.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

jttoo wrote:I love survival games, and wish COTW/Classic had survival mechanics where you had to eat/drink and could live off the land. In that game, how is the multiplayer? Do you have to worry about getting ganked whenever you go to town? Is the whole world PVP? Can you play without PVP?
Have you ever heard of The Long Dark? Fantastic survival game set in Canada, mostly wilderness. Single-player only so you always feel desperate and alone. Your main worries are resource management, navigating predators and surviving the cold. I highly recommend it to anyway who appreciates survival games.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

Hi xOEDragonx, yes, I have a couple thousand hours into TLD....

I do love challenging survival games, and TLD is pretty good, except for the immersion breaking crazy aggressive wolves. Of course there always needs to be a source of danger, otherwise it all gets too easy, so its a hard thing to balance.

Have you ever tried Unreal World? Another single-player survival game, this one set in the Iron Age in Finland. Primitive graphics, but Sammi has built a very detailed building and crafting system.
ShaneRoach
Spotter

Post by ShaneRoach »

VonStratos wrote: in multiplayer they tend to become in troll simulators. How are the tech requirements?
Spamwall warning. TL;DR version, I wish The Hunter tech was included in a building/survival game.

The key is private servers. 7 Days to Die is quite a fun game, albeit an arguably behind the times graphcis game. But the group play is entirely based on who runs the server. It's only when you are thrown in together with a ton of people you don't even know that the trolls have their field day with folks.

It's pretty stupid, and yet the norm across most survival games. Makes me furious as survival games are more or less all I am interested in, but I have zero tolerance for troll culture. Even my interest in shooters is entirely some mix of tech trees and gun design and using them for survival. I suppose there is a game concept out there somewhere of a first person RTS game that I might also like that would have a more military aspect. I play a little Bannerlord, for example.

I have said on a similar thread somewhere in these forums that The Hunter technology with a touch of added building would be a higher level of survival game on account of the graphics and the concept of perhaps game management that Classic had that so far CotW seems to lack. But as far as graphics, heck, even Classic looks heads and tails better than a lot of survival games graphics wise.

Well, CotW does not lack game management, but it adds culling and subtracts baiting and cultivation of a hunt zone. And I am not sure how much you would have to overhunt a zone to kill it, but certainly in Verhunga the high game zones can sustain a LOT of killing before they show many signs of caving in to hunt pressure.

Of course I have only been playing it a week..... lol I'm just sayin', holy cow you can harvest a ton of springbok.

My first death was by springbok, which is.... fairly humiliating, but funny enough I thought I'd share. I eventually rediscovered my manhood when I was killed by a cape buffalo.

As with Classic, most death is the result of tring to travel too fast in treacherous terrain.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

That was my question as well. Looks like my kind of game. Being a long time fan of Minecraft which was one of the only PC games I played over the last ten years besides Hunter Classic, I always dreamed of The Hunter being more expansive open world with more interaction with the environment, and ability to build and try to survive. Though, such a game would turn Hunter Classic into something else. I remember seeing some of the videos Hoo made for that Wild West game recently. It looks like they've done pretty much everything I dreamed of in The Hunter. Look they even have the sasquach I'm always going on about in forum threads! :lol:

Looks like my kind of game. My main concern is if my laptop can run it which barely runs Hunter Classic? I'm looking at upgrading sometime in the near future but that may not happen for some time yet. Looking at the minimum system requirements, I think my laptop meets most of it except it falls short on RAM.

It looks like there are a lot of negative reviews of people saying that game was abandoned?
Last edited by InvisibleFlame9 on March 29th, 2021, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”