Here is why I not like Steam

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
vsaet
Hunter

Re: Here is why I not like Steam

Post by vsaet »

VonStratos wrote:I also find the Steam updates annoying, if even they dont take long nowadays and the size may or not be an issue, is to jump into game and be stopped by a patch in progress... but then i remember when i got my first pc around 2 decades ago and it had an old 56k modem,did you knew those times? "i feel like listening a song in internet"... 1hour later, "this better be a good song". So nowadays i just smile and say, i can wait a couple of minutes more. :D
I beat you! I own my 1st PC in the Glorious year 1985( 3decades+4) and I has 256K memory and an 20 MB hard disk. As for the processor it was the famous Intel 286 and Internet? what is that?:lol:
But you can bypass the Steam window and go directly to the game by running the executable call of the wild In the Same named folder in Steam\common\ . The only thing I don't know is if when update Steam (not the game) the game is blocked,otherwise you put a shortcut of the executable in your desktop and run it ,it finds the launcher and run directly.
rbent23
Scout

Post by rbent23 »

VonStratos wrote:I also find the Steam updates annoying, if even they dont take long nowadays and the size may or not be an issue, is to jump into game and be stopped by a patch in progress... but then i remember when i got my first pc around 2 decades ago and it had an old 56k modem,did you knew those times? "i feel like listening a song in internet"... 1hour later, "this better be a good song". So nowadays i just smile and say, i can wait a couple of minutes more. :D
Amen brother. I can remember those days too. Losing internet connection because the landline rung. (back before cell phones were even a thing). :lol:

As far as Steam updates go, I don't mind too much. They are usually pretty short and I know they need to update like any other program for security stuff, but when you start a game after an update, and you have click to close a bunch of crap that opened automatically, is where my understanding fades off into a resounding " W-T-F "!! :lol:
Last edited by rbent23 on August 14th, 2019, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbent23
Scout

Post by rbent23 »

vsaet wrote: But you can bypass the Steam window and go directly to the game by running the executable call of the wild In the Same named folder in Steam\common\ . The only thing I don't know is if when update Steam (not the game) the game is blocked,otherwise you put a shortcut of the executable in your desktop and run it ,it finds the launcher and run directly.
I always use the game icon. I never go into Steam to play a game, but I still have to wait on any Steam updates.
rbent23
Scout

Post by rbent23 »

vsaet wrote:I own my 1st PC in the Glorious year 1985( 3decades+4) and I has 256K memory and an 20 MB hard disk. As for the processor it was the famous Intel 286 and Internet? what is that?:lol:
:lol: A typewriter with a memory :lol:
They were basically word processors. I had one at work
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Steam updates is seldom even 150 mB.

Commodore Vic 20 was my first. Could hardly be used like a typewriter :p
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

knott wrote:Steam updates is seldom even 150 mB.

Commodore Vic 20 was my first. Could hardly be used like a typewriter :p
Me too! Would find game code printed in the back of PC magazines and spend countless hours typing in the code and then spend days trying to fix the typos so it would run. :lol:

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

Commodore 64 with a 300 baud modem to go to message boards.

Needing to be at a retailers bidding after you purchase a product just plainly sucks. That is the case with Steam only games you purchase outright like CotW.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Ah the memories, but back in Cotw, i recall seeing Cotw in a store long ago, is now Steam Only? because if its sold in retail it could be played without Steam, but getting the last DLC every time would be harder.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

VonStratos wrote:Ah the memories, but back in Cotw, i recall seeing Cotw in a store long ago, is now Steam Only? because if its sold in retail it could be played without Steam, but getting the last DLC every time would be harder.
would be pointless, its in constant development and gets updated almost weekly. a big quality of life bug squash is expected tomorrow. unfortunately for some its 2020 soon and its time to start getting on-board with how the world works now.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

L3M182 wrote:
VonStratos wrote:Ah the memories, but back in Cotw, i recall seeing Cotw in a store long ago, is now Steam Only? because if its sold in retail it could be played without Steam, but getting the last DLC every time would be harder.
would be pointless, its in constant development and gets updated almost weekly. a big quality of life bug squash is expected tomorrow. unfortunately for some its 2020 soon and its time to start getting on-board with how the world works now.
I really don't think they know the meaning of those big words
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”