Windows 10 won't shut down any more

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Windows 10 won't shut down any more

Post by Tanngnjostr »

For a few days, my Windows 10 Professional refuses to shut down. Whenever I select "Shut Down" from the menu, it seems to do so at first, quitting most programs running in the background and giving me a black screen, but after a few seconds the "Welcome" window comes up and then I see my desktop again. The only way to do it is to actually press the power button on my PC for several seconds - which isn't the best way to shut down your OS as we all know. ;)

Now of course this sometimes happened in the past when a procress in the background couldn't be terminated properly, but now it happens every time. I know it's a bit of a shot in the dark, but maybe one of the tech savvy people in here might have an idea what to do. Google or the official Microsoft support site didn't really provide help so far.

Before you ask: it's an official version, I bought it, it's getting all important updates automatically.

I'd be happy for help, thanks in advance! :)
Image Image Image
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Re: Windows 10 won't shut down any more

Post by BuiuRei »

Open your task manager and see if you can pinpoint any process that might be preventing shutdown, or just weird in general.
Other than that, I'd look for an event log to actually know what is happening.
Spoiler:
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

How long has it been happening Marc? Have you added any programs lately, say, Discord or other voice program? Something that uses a device you haven't used much? If you have, try uninstalling that program or programs. Also, check your System Restore to see how recent you have saved a restore point. You might be able to go back to that point to remove the offending program as well.

Also, a good malware scan is always a good place to start. Sometimes the problem is browser related.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

I have had this too, two days ago. I fixed it by doing a "Restart" which makes the computer really boot from scratch. The next time and ever since I was able to shut it down normally.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm traveling over the weekend, but I'll try on Monday and tell you how it goes.
Image Image Image
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

I have had that happen too, in Win7 & Win10. My solution after 2 or 3 restarts was to shut off the power surge for a minute. Then it stopped doing it the next time I shut down.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Ahh I've had this happen too. I went a few steps further and did a complete 'Reset'. It cleaned up my PC and I had to reinstall a whack of stuff. But, it took care of the issue. Hopefully you won't have to do that as it is time consuming. Good luck. That is the thing about windows 10 it is very fussy on what you have installed, least wise that has been my experience... man I miss windows 98/ Vista and 7... :lol: ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

It seems that for now the problem is suddenly resolved - which is strange since I didn't do anything. Thanks for the advice though - if it comes back, I'll have a look at this thread again. :)
Image Image Image
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Glad to hear Tann.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
FullDiesel
Tracker

Post by FullDiesel »

Try a register cleaner.
Elmer Fudd is the ultimate hunter. He never catches the wabbit, but he never gives up ;)

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”