Monster Hunter

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
xOEDragonx

Monster Hunter

Post by xOEDragonx »

Howdy all, I'm just curious if anyone here on the forums has any experience with the Monster Hunter series or is planning on getting the new Monster Hunter World game being released on PC in a few days.

Despite the title of the game, it isn't quite the type of hunting most of you are familiar with! There are no tree stands, scent lures or licenses to shoot. There are only massive monsters and the weapons you build with their own body armor to fight them. You start off small killing small monsters with basic weapons but as you kill monsters and harvest their remains, you make better weapons and armor and kill bigger monsters. It's an interesting concept, though it can be kind of grindy and it will unfortunately be a fairly demanding game to run on a PC.

I myself have a history with the series but have been out of touch with it for many years since I've had minimal desire to play the games on the various nintendo consoles or next gen consoles. World was released for Xbox One and PS4 at the beginning of the year and has proven to be a pretty awesome game. For the first time in the history of the series, it has been ported to PC and that means I can get back into it. The community around the game tends to be a toxic one though. Hence my curiosity if anyone on here plans to play it :)
D3AKUs
Hunter

Re: Monster Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

I am waiting on hot coals here. If u combine all the MH Titles since the PS2 i damn sure have at least 5k hours into all of them xD 3k+ on MH Freedom Unite 2 on the PSP alone ( i used to travel a lot by train during that time, dont judge me xD )... already tested World on a friends PS4 for a lil while and hope it runs "decent" and playable on my rig and the controls dont suck to hard and force me to buy a new gamepad :D
Last one i played was the first 3ds release which i dumped around 1k hours into ...

Edit : i wouldnt call the community overall toxic tho ... they are just a bunch of hardcore "git gud" elitists , compareable to the Souls Games community. Ive met a lot of nice people and even joined some public play meetings that were hosted by players and all of them were pretty chill and fun.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Glad to know I'm not alone in the wait! It should only be a couple hours now until it drops but I'll have to wait until after work to play it XP I probably had close to 1,000 hours in the original game, and that was all from offline play. I only had a couple hundred hours on Freedom on the psp but hey, no judging here! What I lack in gameplay hours of the later games in the series, I'm sure I make up for in hours of Let's Plays watched...

We just recently beefed up my computer a bit just for Monster Hunter (and maybe kinda sorta Ark...) so it better run half decent on my rig or I might go crazy. I'm going to try to play it with an xbox 360 controller since my little logitech wireless keypad/touchpad combo I usually play this game on isn't going to be an option XD

Perhaps toxic wasn't the right word for it, but my experience so far talking to people about it has been less than friendly. When almost every thread turns into a bunch of git gud, elitists post which it usually tends to do, it becomes off-putting. I'm sure there are more awesome people than there are elitists, but the latter group tends to be the loudest.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

There are 3 copies of Monster Hunter on PS4 in my household, and many many hours played. If you're interested in it at all, it's a must-have. The game has a lot of depth, and the battles are epic. Multiplayer is well thought out as well. You can go solo if you want, or join whoever you want to join...sort of drop in/drop out. There are no microtransactions, and the game is frequently updated. I would highly recommend it to anybody. The only criticism I would have on it is that you'll be killing the same monsters dozens of times if you're going for the bigger loot drops.
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Played like 2 hours now. Pretty good , even the controls are fine. Runs decent with my 1050ti for now gonna see later when the fights escalate more how it goes. Have all medium , 1080p aa and so on. Thought it will be worse after reading so much bad stuff online. Looking forward to more fun later.
If someone wants to join in send me a pm for my steamtag. Probably finish the campaign solo for now and then join mp for the endless grind :D
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

So being at the "End" of the set path of this MH, after which it only comes down to an endless grind and repitition ( set aside time exclusive Events or new Monsters that might come in the future ) i think i can give a lil bit more feedback now.
The game sucks on PC … but take that with a pinch of salt and go on xD

Dont get me wrong its an absolute beast of a game. But right now its just barely scratching its potential. Capcom said they work on it and hopefully they really do. But it has 3 really big Problems.

1. and the biggest Problem :The multiplayer is absolute garbage. No one knows if its on Steams or Campcoms side but u get kicked so much one could think Chuck Norris handles the connection. At times its unbearable.
2. the Controls are absolute utter trash so is the Camera via mouse. They said they work on it. Hopefully they do. I know i can switch to a Controller but being a Bowgun user i want to aim with my mouse not a stupid stick :D If i want that i play Halo :P
3. Content ( this is not only for PC but also for Console, they have a lil bit more Stuff atm but still... ) - for a MH game its lackluster at best. The amount and diversity of Monsters is pretty underwhelming for someone that has seen the weirdest things this franchise can offer. I know they started this one from Scratch and couldnt import Monsters from other games like they used to. But going the easy route and programming only a few Skeletons to put the most generic of Dragons into the game doesnt work for me, Sorry. They went a more traditional route when it comes to the crew of beasts u will see - there are some cool Monsters yes but where is the TIGREX ? U cant release a MH these days without a ******* Tigrex ! :D For Newcomers it might be exciting and a lot but i just hope we get all the Content already available for the consoles fast and they add a lot more.

Its a good game. And its a new Approach to the Series with a lot of convinient changes that make life easier. It looks super Pretty ( even tho its horribly ported and has a lot of problems with the tech ). The Sound is absolutely fantastic like in every MH game. Be it Effects or Music - everything is top !

I would recommend this game for absolute MH Newcomers as its easier to pick up and get in then the older ones or the traditional ones. And if you are new u wont notice the Content problems i mentioned as there is still huge amounts of stuff to do and a heavy grind that can keep u busy for hours. It also seems that alot of the Endgame stuff is a lot more fun when u play solo compared to the older games.
Its not the easiest game to get into still and u need a good resistance for frustration and a good attitude to motivate yourself with goals once u reach the endgame. So not for everyone.

And btw theres a Lion to hunt ! A LION , that sets itself on fire and explodes in a Majestic super Nova :D A Lion that lives in a Volcano - what more do u need ? :P
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

I just watched the trailer for it & must admit it does look interesting. Last thing I need is another game thouygh! I am down to pretty much playing this, World of Warships & iRacing now. I have been wanting to get FarCry5 but have held off for lack of time.

I need to retire so I have the time to play all the game I want to play :D

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Like I said, I only ever really got to play the original and MHF so my own comments should be taken with a large grain of salt. I'm biased because I haven't seen every last crazy thing the franchise has had to offer. What I can say though is that from what I remember playing MH on ps2 all those years ago then jumping into this is... WOW. This series has come far. So in that regard, I love it. Although I can definitely see where you're coming from D3AKUs.

1. The online multiplayer hasn't bothered me at all yet and I'm not sure why. I've only ever gotten two "disconnect" messages and they were while I was already playing solo so I'm not sure what that was about. I have played a good bit with others though and haven't been genuinely disconnected from a game yet. And I only recall a single hunt where someone left, maybe that was a disconnect, but I usually finish a hunt with the same people I start with so they must not be having issues either. I haven't tried to join any specific sessions yet using IDs and I haven't played with friends, just randoms. Maybe that's why I haven't had these issues. At the moment though I'm not even sure what the issues are other than an overwhelming number of people are claiming to have them. I can respond to SOS flares and people respond to mine, so I can't really say much on that issue aside from I hope they get it fixed. They've publicly commented on it at this point, so at least it hasn't been swept under the rug. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

2. I only play with a controller, so I can't say much about the controls either. The controls have definitely improved since the original game on the controller at least (attacking with right stick... anyone remember that?) I haven't messed with any of the ranged weapons but I'm sure the controller wouldn't bother me much there either. My alternative to the controller is using a touchpad, so I think I'll just make do.

3. Now that I can agree with. There's an overwhelming amount of content -compared to the original again- so I'm finding it exciting to progress, but I know there will come a point in my near future where the game will be reduced to grinding the same handful of elder dragons again and again if I want to keep "improving." I'm not sure how much it will phase me in the long run as I sort of just enjoy daudling around in low rank, but I know others will hate it. They've been releasing content since the game came out and maybe now that they're done with the PC port, we might see more content being made but at release, it is a pretty small set of monsters to slay.

Even if PC didn't get all the goodies console has gotten thus far (even though we will!) I'd still be satisfied with the purchase. I like to think that World is just one solid step in the right direction of Capcom making deeper, prettier, and just better quality monster hunting games that can be played across all platforms. They improved so many mechanics in this game versus previous games (maybe not necessarily in the PC port, but I'm personally willing to be sympathetic since it's they're first port and they're promising to work on it) that I think World wasn't really intended to be the perfect game... but a step closer towards it. Hopefully now that they've improved the bare bones and have some newfound experience with porting, the next game we get will be meatier and have less issues right out of the gate.

All in all, I'm still having a good time with it. I've only got about 25 hours in the game so far and even with that I've been taking my time and doing optional quests and some online quests for funsies. I've only just finished the rathalos/diablos storyline quest so things are just starting to get real over here ;)
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

xOEDragonx wrote:Like I said, I only ever really got to play the original and MHF so my own comments should be taken with a large grain of salt. I'm biased because I haven't seen every last crazy thing the franchise has had to offer. What I can say though is that from what I remember playing MH on ps2 all those years ago then jumping into this is... WOW. This series has come far. So in that regard, I love it. Although I can definitely see where you're coming from D3AKUs.

1. The online multiplayer hasn't bothered me at all yet and I'm not sure why. I've only ever gotten two "disconnect" messages and they were while I was already playing solo so I'm not sure what that was about. I have played a good bit with others though and haven't been genuinely disconnected from a game yet. And I only recall a single hunt where someone left, maybe that was a disconnect, but I usually finish a hunt with the same people I start with so they must not be having issues either. I haven't tried to join any specific sessions yet using IDs and I haven't played with friends, just randoms. Maybe that's why I haven't had these issues. At the moment though I'm not even sure what the issues are other than an overwhelming number of people are claiming to have them. I can respond to SOS flares and people respond to mine, so I can't really say much on that issue aside from I hope they get it fixed. They've publicly commented on it at this point, so at least it hasn't been swept under the rug. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

2. I only play with a controller, so I can't say much about the controls either. The controls have definitely improved since the original game on the controller at least (attacking with right stick... anyone remember that?) I haven't messed with any of the ranged weapons but I'm sure the controller wouldn't bother me much there either. My alternative to the controller is using a touchpad, so I think I'll just make do.

3. Now that I can agree with. There's an overwhelming amount of content -compared to the original again- so I'm finding it exciting to progress, but I know there will come a point in my near future where the game will be reduced to grinding the same handful of elder dragons again and again if I want to keep "improving." I'm not sure how much it will phase me in the long run as I sort of just enjoy daudling around in low rank, but I know others will hate it. They've been releasing content since the game came out and maybe now that they're done with the PC port, we might see more content being made but at release, it is a pretty small set of monsters to slay.

Even if PC didn't get all the goodies console has gotten thus far (even though we will!) I'd still be satisfied with the purchase. I like to think that World is just one solid step in the right direction of Capcom making deeper, prettier, and just better quality monster hunting games that can be played across all platforms. They improved so many mechanics in this game versus previous games (maybe not necessarily in the PC port, but I'm personally willing to be sympathetic since it's they're first port and they're promising to work on it) that I think World wasn't really intended to be the perfect game... but a step closer towards it. Hopefully now that they've improved the bare bones and have some newfound experience with porting, the next game we get will be meatier and have less issues eight out of the gate.

All in all, I'm still having a good time with it. I've only got about 25 hours in the game so far and even with that I've been taking my time and doing optional quests and some online quests for funsies. I've only just finished the rathalos/diablos storyline quest so things are just starting to get real over here ;)
Always out farming whatever SOS and Quests with the Bandit Mantle for the big $$$ :D If u want to team up for some casual Hunting and material farm or need help somewhere at some point send me your Steamtag and i add u :) I am mostly playing with a friend or join pugs solo so maybe we can get a small Group going :D What weapon do u use most ? I just started using Insect Glaives. Never really tryed them before - but damn i am having a blast flying around in the air like they do in those chinese movies hahaha :D Also the Little Insect i have raised with the weapon is like the cutest lil thing ever xD

Heres a pic with the lil Moth or whatever it actually is - also theres one of the bigger beasts taking a "nap" in the backround. Sadly i had to lower the graphic Settings since i started farming those Elder Dragons. The Effect apocalypse they blast made my Frames drop to an annoying Level sometimes, one in particular is an absolute tank for Frames - even saw People with absolute Beast Setups complain about that one. They said they work on opting the whole thing a lil more in the future. Hopefully it will get better soon !

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

My Steamtag is the same as here, xOEDragonx. My in-game name is the same too. I'm still planning on soloing the rest of story mode (at least until I get stuck on one of the elders and lose my mind trying to kill it...) but I'm all for grinding anything I've encountered up to the point I'm at. Don't be afraid to message me if you see me on, I do use Discord too. I just entered high rank last night... everything up to here has been a joke XD

I watched several playthroughs of the game and fell in love with the longsword long before I ever had the game so it was the first thing I tried out in World. It's really all I've used so far and I really enjoy it. It's so satisfying to slice off tails effortlessly and smack monsters in the face with the spirit charge. I plan to try out all the weapons eventually, but for now I'm going to try to finish out story mode with my trusty longsword.

I think I know which elder you're talking about that causes the FPS drops. I seem to remember some mini tornadoes that were pretty hard on the framerate of the let's plays I've watched. My game tends to bounce anywhere between 30-60 FPS during a fight, but that's on me because I'm playing on all of the highest settings (minus the volumetric fog or whatever that is, I turned that off). I recently upgraded to an i7-8700k processor, liquid CPU cooler, 16gb ram, and I'm running everything off a big SSD now so I'm trying to push it to see what it's limits are, but I'm pretty limited by my video card at the moment. It's a GTX 960, I was planning to upgrade it to the 1080 before monster hunter came out but it looks like they're getting ready to release a new line of video cards so I figured I'd hold off. I'm definitely feeling the effects of the weaker video card though XP

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”