Avalanche Studios bought back by Nordisk Film

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
Ludante
Outfitter

Re: Avalanche Studios bought back by Nordisk Film

Post by Ludante »

Not a bright future for theHunter Classic. They will probably go for big bucks and concentrate on a new engine and modern gaming technologies to keep the paste with the development of the hardware industry. The pool of Classic customers will become smaller and smaller.

Unless, they find a solution with a new engine for Classic which again does not make sense since they have COTW.

Hopefully our subscriptions will keep the game alive. If I ever win a lottery I will buy the Classic license and continue the tradition.
I joined the forum in order to post pictures and videos from gameplay, also to get news, updates and additional features..Everything I say or post is purely for fun purposes.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

For the heck of it today I fired up COTW again - I'm trying to give it a chance but I'm just not feeling it. I guess at some point when the lights go out *god forbid* I might be forced to play it, but everything that drew me to The Hunter is missing.
Something that came into my thoughts, a "What If" scenario~ Lets say they stopped developing Classic and just let if run on its own with just oversight on servers and keeping it running - I wonder about the inherent costs to just letting it go that way until it doesn't pay for the data services~ How long would you give it? Maybe throw an update not as often on it or less occasional added content.
I could be content with it as is but just working on small stuff, most offensive bugs- Maybe a game just dies natural death when it stops growing? I don't know what is considered normal when becoming a black hole.

I guess my only dream could be, a brand new "TheHunter" as we know it built like COTW but with all the gameplay and variety and complexity with what we know as normal with comps and missions but adding the gfx, enhanced animal intelligence and behaviors and animations and ballistics- I guess I hold on hope for that. Top that off with being able to transfer all or some of what we've built up in terms of skills, achievements and inventory (a stretch I know) ~ I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny for the option considering what I've invested as it is.

I have to say though, the small understaffed team we have, they really have pulled some stuff out of their hat lately so, I have to give them credit for doing some cool stuff that wasn't supposed to be possible. It shows me there's fresh talent pulling off impressive work. I'd really like to see them keep going and see what they are really capable of over a longer period of time.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

caledonianblues wrote:
knott wrote:The hunter Classic engine is nothing to brag about at all better hide it in the closet :p
It's nothing to brag about but it has been the foundation of a very successful game for almost a decade. Do you think you will still be playing Call of the Wild in 2027? I would be quite surprised.

Immersion, fun and replay value are not driven exclusively by the engine. I would rather have something incredible built on less than perfect foundations, than amazing foundations and crap on top. I'm not referring to Call of the Wild as crap. I'm just highlighting the fact that you might be placing too much importance on a game's engine.

Just like the best movies don't necessarily have the best visual effects, the best games don't necessarily have the best graphics.
Fully agree with David here. Just Cause 2 for example was way better for me than Just Cause 3, even though it was built on older technology.
Radamus wrote:For the heck of it today I fired up COTW again - I'm trying to give it a chance but I'm just not feeling it. I guess at some point when the lights go out *god forbid* I might be forced to play it, but everything that drew me to The Hunter is missing.
Kinda feel the same. Maybe not all is missing, but the athmosphere is just not the same.
Radamus wrote:Something that came into my thoughts, a "What If" scenario~ Lets say they stopped developing Classic and just let if run on its own with just oversight on servers and keeping it running - I wonder about the inherent costs to just letting it go that way until it doesn't pay for the data services~ How long would you give it? Maybe throw an update not as often on it or less occasional added content. I could be content with it as is but just working on small stuff, most offensive bugs- Maybe a game just dies natural death when it stops growing? I don't know what is considered normal when becoming a black hole.
Agree again. If there are competitions and missions, and there are really many if you start new, I am not expecting new places and animals all the time. I could keep going with an unchanged game. If they perhaps added daily random missions for gm$ even better.
Radamus wrote:I guess my only dream could be, a brand new "TheHunter" as we know it built like COTW but with all the gameplay and variety and complexity with what we know as normal with comps and missions but adding the gfx, enhanced animal intelligence and behaviors and animations and ballistics- I guess I hold on hope for that. Top that off with being able to transfer all or some of what we've built up in terms of skills, achievements and inventory (a stretch I know) ~ I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny for the option considering what I've invested as it is.
Not sure if the game can be transferred, and even if it could, would it really be the same game still? I also doubt that the animals' behaviour can be improved much as CotW shows just nicely. They said it was going to be much better, yet once you get the hang of it, it is just as easy. It has to be! You cannot make people work for hours for a kill. Most won't play something like that. I wouldn't.
Radamus wrote:I have to say though, the small understaffed team we have, they really have pulled some stuff out of their hat lately so, I have to give them credit for doing some cool stuff that wasn't supposed to be possible. It shows me there's fresh talent pulling off impressive work. I'd really like to see them keep going and see what they are really capable of over a longer period of time.
Yes, but fresh talent does not look for work on a +10 year old engine in their curriculum vitae. They are hard to hold and this is probably one reason why we see constant changes in the developers team.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”