Can my power supply run this?

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
User avatar
Turkey1887
Scout
Posts: 340
Joined: September 18th, 2013, 9:26 pm
Location: Alabama

Can my power supply run this?

Postby Turkey1887 » April 18th, 2018, 12:17 pm

can a 500w psu run a gtx 1080 and a I7700k? If not would i just need to buy a 600 watt?
User avatar
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter
Posts: 6933
Joined: September 10th, 2013, 8:30 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Can my power supply run this?

Postby Fletchette » April 18th, 2018, 12:40 pm

It's depends on what else is in your system and how much power everything draws. (SSD's, Hard drives, optical drives, card readers, USB hubs, fans, pumps, LED's, keyboard, etc, etc.)

That CPU and GPU alone can draw around 300 watts when maxed out, and you don't want the PSU to run near 100% of it's capacity, so I'd say 500 watts is borderline.

I'd go with at least a 650, and because of the minimal price difference, probably a 750 watt PSU.
Personal Bests...
Image
Image
User avatar
Turkey1887
Scout
Posts: 340
Joined: September 18th, 2013, 9:26 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Can my power supply run this?

Postby Turkey1887 » April 18th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Fletchette wrote:It's depends on what else is in your system and how much power everything draws. (SSD's, Hard drives, optical drives, card readers, USB hubs, fans, pumps, LED's, keyboard, etc, etc.)

That CPU and GPU alone can draw around 300 watts when maxed out, and you don't want the PSU to run near 100% of it's capacity, so I'd say 500 watts is borderline.

I'd go with at least a 650, and because of the minimal price difference, probably a 750 watt PSU.

thanks i think i might buy a 650 watt found one on sale almost half off
User avatar
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter
Posts: 6933
Joined: September 10th, 2013, 8:30 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Can my power supply run this?

Postby Fletchette » April 18th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Turkey1887 wrote:
Fletchette wrote:It's depends on what else is in your system and how much power everything draws. (SSD's, Hard drives, optical drives, card readers, USB hubs, fans, pumps, LED's, keyboard, etc, etc.)

That CPU and GPU alone can draw around 300 watts when maxed out, and you don't want the PSU to run near 100% of it's capacity, so I'd say 500 watts is borderline.

I'd go with at least a 650, and because of the minimal price difference, probably a 750 watt PSU.

thanks i think i might buy a 650 watt found one on sale almost half off

Okey Dokey...Make sure it's a quality one. The PSU is one the most important components in a system. And do yourself a favor and make sure it's full or at least semi modular.
Personal Bests...
Image
Image
User avatar
Turkey1887
Scout
Posts: 340
Joined: September 18th, 2013, 9:26 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Can my power supply run this?

Postby Turkey1887 » April 18th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Fletchette wrote:
Turkey1887 wrote:
Fletchette wrote:It's depends on what else is in your system and how much power everything draws. (SSD's, Hard drives, optical drives, card readers, USB hubs, fans, pumps, LED's, keyboard, etc, etc.)

That CPU and GPU alone can draw around 300 watts when maxed out, and you don't want the PSU to run near 100% of it's capacity, so I'd say 500 watts is borderline.

I'd go with at least a 650, and because of the minimal price difference, probably a 750 watt PSU.

thanks i think i might buy a 650 watt found one on sale almost half off

Okey Dokey...Make sure it's a quality one. The PSU is one the most important components in a system. And do yourself a favor and make sure it's full or at least semi modular.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6817182299

looked around for some think this one is fine?
User avatar
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter
Posts: 6933
Joined: September 10th, 2013, 8:30 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Can my power supply run this?

Postby Fletchette » April 18th, 2018, 1:17 pm

Turkey1887 wrote:
Fletchette wrote:
Turkey1887 wrote:thanks i think i might buy a 650 watt found one on sale almost half off

Okey Dokey...Make sure it's a quality one. The PSU is one the most important components in a system. And do yourself a favor and make sure it's full or at least semi modular.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6817182299

looked around for some think this one is fine?

I'm not familiar with Rosewill PSU's, but I'm sure it would work.

Personally I'd go with EVGA. Here's one that is gold certified (more efficient), and semi-modular. Looks like with the $20 rebate it's $49.99 net.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6817438059

Just make sure that whatever you get fit's in your case. (size)
Personal Bests...
Image
Image
User avatar
ronMctube
Chat Logger
Posts: 15553
Joined: March 14th, 2009, 9:49 pm

Re: Can my power supply run this?

Postby ronMctube » April 18th, 2018, 1:19 pm

it will but wouldnt risk it.especially when for 20-30 dollars more you will get a better bigger psu.

Recommended Power Supply 500W for a 1080gtx.they use 250w.so unless its a top end platinium good make you would still be close to maxing it out.just get a decent 750w branded one.gives you scope for expanding also you wont be close to maxxing it out.brands depend on what you can get. i go for seasonic, power flower, antec. myself.
User avatar
Turkey1887
Scout
Posts: 340
Joined: September 18th, 2013, 9:26 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Can my power supply run this?

Postby Turkey1887 » April 18th, 2018, 1:41 pm

ronMctube wrote:it will but wouldnt risk it.especially when for 20-30 dollars more you will get a better bigger psu.

Recommended Power Supply 500W for a 1080gtx.they use 250w.so unless its a top end platinium good make you would still be close to maxing it out.just get a decent 750w branded one.gives you scope for expanding also you wont be close to maxxing it out.brands depend on what you can get. i go for seasonic, power flower, antec. myself.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6817438054

this one be better?
User avatar
ronMctube
Chat Logger
Posts: 15553
Joined: March 14th, 2009, 9:49 pm

Re: Can my power supply run this?

Postby ronMctube » April 19th, 2018, 3:13 pm

EVGA as Fletchette says are very good normally .

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest