Can my power supply run this?

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
Turkey1887
Scout

Can my power supply run this?

Post by Turkey1887 »

can a 500w psu run a gtx 1080 and a I7700k? If not would i just need to buy a 600 watt?
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: Can my power supply run this?

Post by Fletchette »

It's depends on what else is in your system and how much power everything draws. (SSD's, Hard drives, optical drives, card readers, USB hubs, fans, pumps, LED's, keyboard, etc, etc.)

That CPU and GPU alone can draw around 300 watts when maxed out, and you don't want the PSU to run near 100% of it's capacity, so I'd say 500 watts is borderline.

I'd go with at least a 650, and because of the minimal price difference, probably a 750 watt PSU.
Personal Bests...
Turkey1887
Scout

Post by Turkey1887 »

Fletchette wrote:It's depends on what else is in your system and how much power everything draws. (SSD's, Hard drives, optical drives, card readers, USB hubs, fans, pumps, LED's, keyboard, etc, etc.)

That CPU and GPU alone can draw around 300 watts when maxed out, and you don't want the PSU to run near 100% of it's capacity, so I'd say 500 watts is borderline.

I'd go with at least a 650, and because of the minimal price difference, probably a 750 watt PSU.
thanks i think i might buy a 650 watt found one on sale almost half off
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Turkey1887 wrote:
Fletchette wrote:It's depends on what else is in your system and how much power everything draws. (SSD's, Hard drives, optical drives, card readers, USB hubs, fans, pumps, LED's, keyboard, etc, etc.)

Okey Dokey...Make sure it's a quality one. The PSU is one the most important components in a system. And do yourself a favor and make sure it's full or at least semi modular.
Personal Bests...
Turkey1887
Scout

Post by Turkey1887 »

Fletchette wrote:
Turkey1887 wrote:

Okey Dokey...Make sure it's a quality one. The PSU is one the most important components in a system. And do yourself a favor and make sure it's full or at least semi modular.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6817182299

looked around for some think this one is fine?
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Turkey1887 wrote:
Fletchette wrote:
Turkey1887 wrote: thanks i think i might buy a 650 watt found one on sale almost half off
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6817182299

looked around for some think this one is fine?
I'm not familiar with Rosewill PSU's, but I'm sure it would work.

Personally I'd go with EVGA. Here's one that is gold certified (more efficient), and semi-modular. Looks like with the $20 rebate it's $49.99 net.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6817438059

Just make sure that whatever you get fit's in your case. (size)
Personal Bests...
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

it will but wouldnt risk it.especially when for 20-30 dollars more you will get a better bigger psu.

Recommended Power Supply 500W for a 1080gtx.they use 250w.so unless its a top end platinium good make you would still be close to maxing it out.just get a decent 750w branded one.gives you scope for expanding also you wont be close to maxxing it out.brands depend on what you can get. i go for seasonic, power flower, antec. myself.
Turkey1887
Scout

Post by Turkey1887 »

ronMctube wrote:it will but wouldnt risk it.especially when for 20-30 dollars more you will get a better bigger psu.

Recommended Power Supply 500W for a 1080gtx.they use 250w.so unless its a top end platinium good make you would still be close to maxing it out.just get a decent 750w branded one.gives you scope for expanding also you wont be close to maxxing it out.brands depend on what you can get. i go for seasonic, power flower, antec. myself.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6817438054

this one be better?
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

EVGA as Fletchette says are very good normally .

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”