Need help from computer experts

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
strider17

Re: Need help from computer experts

Post by strider17 »

Wow you guys are amazing! thank you everyone very much for your help and advice! I really really appreciate it!
stancomputerhunter wrote:How about that strider? A wiseguy who saves you money and you end up with better configuration. ;)
That was really kind and awesome of him! :D
caledonianblues wrote:I would swap the fans out for the Corsair ML series. Instead of using sleeve bearings they rely on magnetic levitation to eliminate friction. No friction means no wear and tear, and a lot less noise. I bought some of them and they're great. For the sake of $23 I would also take the i7-8700K. That's an absolute no-brainer. I would also go for a GTX 1080 (EVGA) rather than a GTX 1060, and like Fletchette said, I would drop from a 1TB SSD to a 500GB SSD for the time being. You can always add more SSD drives later. I would also drop to the EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W.

Here's the list here, still under $2k.
Thank you so much for putting this list together! I rather go with what you have here than what I chose. :)
ronMctube wrote:if you going to spend that much the only thing id probably change is the cpu cooler to a aio.the one you got is pretty fine for basic speeds but the 8700k oc like a best most do close to 5ghz.which if you interested in you wont be doing on that cooler.its a bit better than stock.if you not ocing its fine though so do worry.
Would it be possible for me in the future if I ever get to the point of overclocking to swap the cpu cooler out for a different one? :)
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

strider17 wrote:
ronMctube wrote:if you going to spend that much the only thing id probably change is the cpu cooler to a aio.the one you got is pretty fine for basic speeds but the 8700k oc like a best most do close to 5ghz.which if you interested in you wont be doing on that cooler.its a bit better than stock.if you not ocing its fine though so do worry.
Would it be possible for me in the future if I ever get to the point of overclocking to swap the cpu cooler out for a different one? :)
Of course.....In fact, there are some pretty good All-In-One water coolers for under $100.
Personal Bests...
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

John,
I've never used a water cooler. How do you check for leaks without ruining components? Do you use water or vegetable oil? Do you have to have one for every heat producing component? Which ones, using the example of strider17's new computer in the list David posted.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
\m/
Outfitter

Post by \m/ »

Distilled water in combination with a fluid heat transfer medium/corrosion protection. Got my first custombuild watercooling system in 1998, never had a leak in the past years. Important is the usage of good screwcaps :-). For optimal cooling performance, every year a change of the fluids.
Now offline. Forever.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

stancomputerhunter wrote:John,
I've never used a water cooler. How do you check for leaks without ruining components? Do you use water or vegetable oil? Do you have to have one for every heat producing component? Which ones, using the example of strider17's new computer in the list David posted.
I have a custom loop, and just use distilled water with a few drops of PT nuke and a strip of silver to prevent algae. I've never had a leak, but bear in mind that the loop is very low pressure, so if it doesn't leak right away, it's probably good forever. Some people use pre-mixed fluid, (often colored), but it can get a bit mucky, IMO.

My loop water cools the CPU and (2) GPU's. Some people also water cool the MB chipset and VRU (voltage regulator).

I think the All-In-ones I was suggesting come pre-filled from the factory, so you just install them and go. Most of them just cool the CPU, but some can be expanded to add GPU'S.
Personal Bests...
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Thanks, John and \m/.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
\m/
Outfitter

Post by \m/ »

All-in-ones are a cheap way for better cooling, often silent - but not silent like a custom build. Prize for all-in-ones is most times fair for the performance, customs are often x-times more expensive but you can build them how you need. Real silent or with very good cooling, or both (most expensive - with ease 900 euro and more).
Now offline. Forever.

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”