This Is Where All The Magic Started

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

This Is Where All The Magic Started

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Recently I discovered this site that sells all 'vintage Nintendo' products (nintendosforsale.com). I'm excited and am thinking about getting the original NES in it's box. As I remember when I was a kid and got the NES for Christmas in 1990 and we had a heavy snow and white Christmas that year. My best friend lived next door and we played the NES together all the time. Regretably I sold my NES after I got the SNES. Thankfully I never sold my SNES or 64. Mostly I miss the original Zelda game. That was my childhood everything. I don't want it on an emulator but I'm thinking buying the original NES in it's box with Zelda would be so awesome. Not to mention 'Paper Boy', 'John Elways Quartarback', 'Offroad', 'Mario'...and a handful of other great classics. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN0yPtI ... YZ&index=1
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Re: This Is Where All The Magic Started

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Very nice! I actually still have my old NES from 1985. Sadly it doesn’t work anymore, just stopped working a few years ago. I think it actually only needs a couple replacement parts. Like yourself, I also didn’t wanna do all my old games off an emulator, tho I do use emulators for streaming these old gems. What I have now, and actually got EXTREMELY lucky to get on launch day, is the NES Classic Edition, also known as the NES Mini. That little machine is amazing. It works on the newer TVs of today, looks great, and of course I have it modded to have more games on it aside from the 30 that come with it. I didn’t go crazy and add the entire NES library like others did, I stuck to games I knew and loved. Bionic Commando, Double Dragon, Faxanadu, Life Force...I could go on and on. It’s an awesome little machine. I also got the new SNES Classic Edition in October, and modded that one as well.
I would definetly say to get one if you can find em, otherwise get the original NES. But, you are much better off spending a few dollars and getting a small CRT TV for it. You won’t have any input lag from the controllers, and it’ll be just as you remembered ;)
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

That's too bad your NES doesn't work. Don't let that thing go! I had a similar problem but with my Playstation 2. There came a time when the disc tray wouldn't move. It wouldn't open. I couldn't load or eject anything from it. That was dissapointing because for a while that was my DVD player. I had high expectations for that system and it was a dissapointing surprise for it to malfunction like that only after 4 or 5 years. I Loved the look of it too. It was a beautiful console. The controllers where some of the best I've ever seen. Far better than Nintendo's N64 comparitively speaking. I couldn't get into Nintendo after the N64. I don't know what happened there. Everything just go weird. The only thing I would want Nintendos for after the 64 would be to play all the newer Zeldas.

I'm inclined to save up and try to get my hands on an original console. I've seen a number of later version remakes of the original Nintendo came out with and it doesn't feel the same for me. To me they just feel like 'emulations' but more 'official' by the same company. I've got an old tv that actually works. The only problem is it has no remote. Somehow I have just barely got my SNES and N64 to work on it.
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

I have never owned a NES but I have owned a bunch of DVD and CD Drives..If your Drive would not open at that age, my best guess would be that your Drive belt was broken. I have had that happen with several CD Drives or Trays, what ever you wish to call them. At any rate there should be a small hole (paper clip straightened out works good) in the front of the Drive, push the clip in that hole, and Drive will release, maybe your belt will actually fall out when you open the Drive. Take a measurement of the belt, and you may be able to find on that will work. It is nothing but a rubber belt. an O ring or even a rubberband will work short term. Just a suggestion if you really want to try and revive your NES or any other drive for that mater.
Spoiler:
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

BucksNBuffalo wrote:Very nice! I actually still have my old NES from 1985. Sadly it doesn’t work anymore, just stopped working a few years ago. I think it actually only needs a couple replacement parts.
I'm curious, what's going on with your Nintendo?

For anyone reading this I want to share how I was able to get my old 'game cartridges' working again after pulling them out of boxes they had been sitting in for two decades. You get 90% rubbing alcahol and soak the end of a Q-Tip in the alcahol. Then rub the connector in the game cartridge with the alcahol soaked Q-Tip. This cleans it. It's safe for the cartridge and it totally works. I found this technique on youtube and it's the simplest thing to fix. If you pop a game in and it's not working this is the first thing to do.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

INTIMID883R wrote:I have never owned a NES but I have owned a bunch of DVD and CD Drives..If your Drive would not open at that age, my best guess would be that your Drive belt was broken. I have had that happen with several CD Drives or Trays, what ever you wish to call them. At any rate there should be a small hole (paper clip straightened out works good) in the front of the Drive, push the clip in that hole, and Drive will release, maybe your belt will actually fall out when you open the Drive. Take a measurement of the belt, and you may be able to find on that will work. It is nothing but a rubber belt. an O ring or even a rubberband will work short term. Just a suggestion if you really want to try and revive your NES or any other drive for that mater.
Thanks for the tip! Actually, I don't remember if I even held onto my PS2 after the tray malfunction. It's either barried in a box somewhere in my attick or I just threw it away years ago. I still have all my PS2 Games and none of them are worth enough to me to try to resurrect the system. I used to enjoy "Big Game Hunter" for it in 2004...2005 but the 'bullet cam' feature is so lame and makes me not like that game. If it didn't have the bullet cam it might have some replay value for me. Also I used to like the "GTA" games in their day and when I was much younger. I don't like games like that anymore. So I'm ok with letting the PS2 stay 'trash' in my memories. LOL. The old Nintendos though....they have some timeless classics and sentemental value. Once I buy the original NES I'll have the NES, SNES, and N64 set complete. I just need to order another 64 controller and a N64 memory pack. I used to have them and for somereason I don't now. I don't know why. One game I really want to buy for my N64 is Aiden Chronicles. That was and still is a great game and RPG. Wouldn't mind getting the Super Mario Carts and Mario 64 for the SNES too! Those systems have some real timeless classics.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Never had a console (always been a computer guy), but I fondly remember my first games on C64 (and later Amiga 500) and I even installed an emulator with some of the old stuff a few years ago. "Bubble Bobble", "The Great Giana Sisters", "Maniac Mansion", "Pirates!", "Prince of Persia", "Summer/Winter Games"... oh the good old times! :D
Image Image Image
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:
BucksNBuffalo wrote:Very nice! I actually still have my old NES from 1985. Sadly it doesn’t work anymore, just stopped working a few years ago. I think it actually only needs a couple replacement parts.
I'm curious, what's going on with your Nintendo?

For anyone reading this I want to share how I was able to get my old 'game cartridges' working again after pulling them out of boxes they had been sitting in for two decades. You get 90% rubbing alcahol and soak the end of a Q-Tip in the alcahol. Then rub the connector in the game cartridge with the alcahol soaked Q-Tip. This cleans it. It's safe for the cartridge and it totally works. I found this technique on youtube and it's the simplest thing to fix. If you pop a game in and it's not working this is the first thing to do.
I had done this method with the alcohol and Q-tip with no results :( I think it only needs a new pin connector to be honest. But hey, it worked from 1985 to roughly 2013. That’s almost 30 years! They don’t make em like they used to!! I just need to find some time to change the pin connector
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

you can buy all the parts you need on ebay. i used to sell retro computer parts, consoles for a living.still have many consoles and games. :D
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Does anyone know if Loderunner is available in some format for today's PCs?

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”