AMD Ryzen CPU - Prices & Launch Date

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: AMD Ryzen CPU - Prices & Launch Date

Post by JimboCrow »

Check the refresh rate on your laptop specs. 120Hz makes a much nicer experience if you can get it.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

I've owned a couple of decent gaming laptops over the years Ludante, and still do. They're great for playing games on the sofa, in bed, or when you go away on business or vacation, but there are compromises to be made. The most important one for most consumers is value for money. Gaming laptop components are generally far more expensive than their desktop counterparts, and in most cases, not as powerful. In addition to that, you've got to contend with heat and noise. Gaming laptop components run much hotter than desktop components. This often results in a huge amount of hot air being kicked out the back of the laptop, and a lot of noise when the GPU fans kick in. Be prepared to use a laptop cooling pad, not just to help cool the laptop but to preserve your legs and anything else the laptop comes in contact when gaming! Then as Jimbo stated, screen is usually a compromise too. The ASUS FX502 has an HD display which means 1920x1080 is your limit. I would encourage anyone who buys a gaming machine now to aim for 2560x1440 as a minimum.

Unless you plan to game away from home regularly or don't have the space for a desktop machine then I would probably recommend building a desktop rig. You'll get far better bang for your buck and will have far more cooling options available to you. Plus it'll make upgrading easier in the future and you won't have to endure noise and heat every time you want to play a game with the settings cranked up to the max. Just my humble opinion. Gaming laptops are great fun and perfect when you have to travel on business, but they're no substitute for the real thing.
Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

caledonianblues wrote:I've owned a couple of decent gaming laptops over the years Ludante, and still do. They're great for playing games on the sofa, in bed, or when you go away on business or vacation, but there are compromises to be made. The most important one for most consumers is value for money. Gaming laptop components are generally far more expensive than their desktop counterparts, and in most cases, not as powerful. In addition to that, you've got to contend with heat and noise. Gaming laptop components run much hotter than desktop components. This often results in a huge amount of hot air being kicked out the back of the laptop, and a lot of noise when the GPU fans kick in. Be prepared to use a laptop cooling pad, not just to help cool the laptop but to preserve your legs and anything else the laptop comes in contact when gaming! Then as Jimbo stated, screen is usually a compromise too. The ASUS FX502 has an HD display which means 1920x1080 is your limit. I would encourage anyone who buys a gaming machine now to aim for 2560x1440 as a minimum.

Unless you plan to game away from home regularly or don't have the space for a desktop machine then I would probably recommend building a desktop rig. You'll get far better bang for your buck and will have far more cooling options available to you. Plus it'll make upgrading easier in the future and you won't have to endure noise and heat every time you want to play a game with the settings cranked up to the max. Just my humble opinion. Gaming laptops are great fun and perfect when you have to travel on business, but they're no substitute for the real thing.
I agree with everything you said..it will be a long thought before buying anything actually.
I joined the forum in order to post pictures and videos from gameplay, also to get news, updates and additional features..Everything I say or post is purely for fun purposes.
Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

Anyone knows when is official release, I`ve checked amazon.de they don`t have anything on sale, local shops only pre-orders.
I joined the forum in order to post pictures and videos from gameplay, also to get news, updates and additional features..Everything I say or post is purely for fun purposes.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Ludante wrote:Anyone knows when is official release, I`ve checked amazon.de they don`t have anything on sale, local shops only pre-orders.
The official release date is supposed to be today.

The local computer shop I preordered my CPU and Mobo from is showing stock this morning in the CPU, but not the Mobo. So I may have to wait a day or two until it shows up I guess. :?
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Ludante wrote:Anyone knows when is official release, I`ve checked amazon.de they don`t have anything on sale, local shops only pre-orders.
March 2nd I believe. The site I often use in the UK has them in stock, so it looks like they're out already. If stores are only showing the option to pre-order, it probably means they've already sold out :)
Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

Couple of benchmark updates..

JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Oh man, I wanted my new rig to be a gaming rig, but single threaded results don't look good. Now I understand more clearly the pricing structure. I should have known. Argghh!!! (Weeps, gnashing teeth, while pounding forehead on keyboard.) :cry:
Sqwertle
Tracker

Post by Sqwertle »

I'm excited for Ryzen 5, hopefully it won't be too much longer. Those are supposed to be the more gaming-oriented chips in the lineup.
Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

JimboCrow wrote:Oh man, I wanted my new rig to be a gaming rig, but single threaded results don't look good. Now I understand more clearly the pricing structure. I should have known. Argghh!!! (Weeps, gnashing teeth, while pounding forehead on keyboard.) :cry:
I think 1800x is still good buy if you are recording (editing, rendering) and live streaming, it is at least if not better than i7 6900k in rendering and perhaps multitasking and also approximately same as 7700k in gaming (maybe couple of FPS drops in comparison with Intel).. if understand this correctly it should be some kind of hybrid between 7700k and 6900k..you can basically use it for gaming but also for professional purposes..in connection to gaming it is good for YouTubers..We will see what will be performance with Ryzen 5 (at least 6 cores/12 threads, 4.5GHz turbo boost and good price is what I am expecting to see for best one in the range)..

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”