Keylogger?

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
Boveip

Keylogger?

Post by Boveip »

Hey everyone! I'm relatively new to theHunter (just bought the one year pack a short bit ago, but I missed the sale :(! )

I don't want to cause a panic; that said, I wasn't sure where to put it, so Tech Talk seems like the most appropriate. I plan on opening a support ticket after I finish this post, but I need to ask, is anyone else using BitDefender?

With a recent update to my BitDefender Archives, last night, BitDefender found a keylogger in my \thehunter\game\thehunter.exe file.

It COULD be to monitor in game chats (for multiplayer and so.)
it COULD be an injection from somewhere else on my computer (I think? though theHunter seems like a strange place to send it.)
It COULD be a falsepositive by BitDefender.

It's worth noting that my hunter download is from the website, not from Steam.

Any insight would be deeply appreciated,

Boveip

Edit: UPDATE: So BitDefender deactivated what it thought was a KeyLogger, and now my game is redownloading entirely, which leads me to suspect perhaps it is suppose to be there? That is actually only more unsettling to me.
RabbitRidge
Tracker

Re: Keylogger?

Post by RabbitRidge »

I don't use BitDefender, but does it name the specific type Keylogger (please name if so)?
Or is it generic behavioral analysis identification?
Dirtclod
Outfitter

Post by Dirtclod »

I use Bitdefender. I'll make sure it's updated and I'll run a scan.

Update: Ran a scan and found nothing. Clean as the proverbial whistle. FYI, I'm using Bitdefender Total Security 2017 and play theHunter/update via Steam.
RabbitRidge
Tracker

Post by RabbitRidge »

In any case, I hope you submitted the collection data to BitDefender.
EW_Stefan
Scout

Post by EW_Stefan »

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have shared the information with the team. However, I'm not sure how far we can solve this as it can be a simple case of the file not yet being known to the bit defender database. We'll look into it. I can assure you that there is no keylogger in our theHunter files :D

Cheers,

Stefan
RabbitRidge
Tracker

Post by RabbitRidge »

Perhaps the OP explicitly stating the download URL might help sort things out.
Boveip

Post by Boveip »

RabbitRidge wrote:I don't use BitDefender, but does it name the specific type Keylogger (please name if so)?
Or is it generic behavioral analysis identification?
I'm using BitDefender Total Security 2016 (I haven't done the free update to 2017)
All it calls the virus is "GenericKeylogger 2.6 CCBE743", so it is possible that it grabbed it simply for looking suspicious. I wish I had quarantined it instead of letting BitDefender remove it, now :/

Likewise, my download URL for theHunter was theHunter.com, or https://signup.thehunter.com/#/landing

I recall because I was intensely irritated; I tried downloading it through Steam initially, but the download failed somewhere in the 90%s, yet Steam insisted I had the game in my library, and I was unable to restart the download. (At which point I deleted the game files from my Steam library, and went to the above site via a quick google search.) I believe it was a link I followed through on theHunter support page.

Update: Support replied to my ticket and sent it to their engineers. It would seem perhaps it is an issue on my end, though, based on your replies; thanks everyone!

Boveip

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”