stereo or virtual 7.1 sound for headphones?

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
knott
Outfitter

stereo or virtual 7.1 sound for headphones?

Post by knott »

Curious to here from guys experimenting? Positional audio has been quite good but I have only tried stereo not the dolby virtual 7.1 modes? I suspect in most games you shouldn´t enable this option as the sound is already processed and optimized for stereo headphones but how is it with the hunter?
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Re: stereo or virtual 7.1 sound for headphones?

Post by Hawkeye »

knott wrote:Curious to here from guys experimenting? Positional audio has been quite good but I have only tried stereo not the dolby virtual 7.1 modes? I suspect in most games you shouldn´t enable this option as the sound is already processed and optimized for stereo headphones but how is it with the hunter?
Using a Razer Kraken 7.1 and it's fantastic.
Swampfox
Outfitter

Post by Swampfox »

I chose the Logitech G35 Headphones set at 7.1 Surround, love this set. :D
Spoiler:
\m/
Outfitter

Post by \m/ »

Stereo with stereo hifi-headphones.
Now offline. Forever.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

I've never been sold on surround sound. I always opt for high quality stereo audio, but then I listen to a lot of music and for that, anything beyond stereo is in my opinion pointless.
\m/
Outfitter

Post by \m/ »

High quality stereo audio, thats the point.
A good stereo soundcard/dac combined with hifi stereo-headphones (maybe combined with a quality stereo-headamp) is the best combination for gaming and/or music for me, all sound changes from the soundcard disabled, pure stereo mode. Locating the exact position and distance of a sound ingame is working for me only with pure stereo.
Now offline. Forever.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

\m/ wrote:High quality stereo audio, thats the point.
A good stereo soundcard/dac combined with hifi stereo-headphones (maybe combined with a quality stereo-headamp) is the best combination for gaming and/or music for me, all sound changes from the soundcard disabled, pure stereo mode. Locating the exact position and distance of a sound ingame is working for me only with pure stereo.
Are you me in a parallell universe?

Yeah I have pretty much drawn the same conclusion now (like I did some 8 years ago. I tried benching my CloudX revolver in stereo and 7.1 mode and for me 7.1 mode make it harder to detect where the sound comes from and make it all quite confused. Which can be interesting but kind of counter productive... And certainly added distortion and sound just being off due to some crazy EQ. I tried to fix that with manual EQ that was completly flat but still stereo just sound better and sound seem to have a clearer source. Most games do incorporate alghoritms for headphones so it becomes kind of a mess run 7.1 on top of that as well. But tbh I am not sure there is a single game it works with?

Also tested with Focal Elear vs Cloudx Revolver. You get 10 Revolvers for one Elear :) A bit richer in the mid range primarily and better for the 6.55 blazer. The CloudX Revolver have an ever meaner bang for the .340 weatherby though :)
\m/
Outfitter

Post by \m/ »

Using beyerdynamic t1 second gen headphone at beyerdynamic a2 headamp, for gaming/youtube beyerdynamic dt880 edition 600ohm. Simple audiophile setup, for music and gaming a good combination. didnt hear elear, cant say anything about them :-)
Now offline. Forever.
wintergoose
Outfitter

Post by wintergoose »

Using Headphope Corsair gaming VOID. RGB. For usb with 7.1. Dolby. Gave the game a whole new level. I can clearly hear where sounds comes from
Buckkiller4
Hunter

Post by Buckkiller4 »

I use stereo and can easily find the sound. IMO it really comes down to your personal preference.

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”