Radeon RX 470 8GB and Crimson 16.12.1 driver pack - issues, unstable.

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
FilipSosnaPL
Spotter

Radeon RX 470 8GB and Crimson 16.12.1 driver pack - issues, unstable.

Post by FilipSosnaPL »

Good evening. Could anyone with same GFX confirm, please:
- Radeon RX 470 8GB, new Radeon Crimson 16.12.1, driver ver. 16.50 - after clean installation two freeze, artefacts.
- back to Crimson 16.11.4 with driver ver. 16.40 - all OK.
13 years with "Green's" and after all theese years first "Red" card. Should I get used to problems ;) ?
AngryBadger
Tracker

Re: Radeon RX 470 8GB and Crimson 16.12.1 driver pack - issues, unstable.

Post by AngryBadger »

FilipSosnaPL wrote:Good evening. Could anyone with same GFX confirm, please:
- Radeon RX 470 8GB, new Radeon Crimson 16.12.1, driver ver. 16.50 - after clean installation two freeze, artefacts.
- back to Crimson 16.11.4 with driver ver. 16.40 - all OK.
13 years with "Green's" and after all theese years first "Red" card. Should I get used to problems ;) ?
Drivers for Radeon cards have not been a problem in terms of reliability for a long time now, although it's still brought up by people often, so you don't need to get used to problems. However, bugs in drivers are not totally uncommon for both companies, and they regularly address these issues through hot fixes. You could try the beta drivers and see if it fixes it, or stay with the version that works until what ever is causing the problems is resolved. You can send in a bug report to AMD as well.
Gandar
Scout

Post by Gandar »

AMD might have collected bad rep for a reason long ago, but last 2 years, maybe more, they've super upped the quality on drivers. My R9 280X personally loves the ReLive release.

Define clean install. The Clean install option the installation pack offered? I suspected they would've broken it on their first attempt of implementing it, so didn't use that to install these. Some other comments section seemed to have problems from the Clean Install button too.

Maybe give it a wipe using "Display Driver Uninstaller" and reinstall again? Doesn't hurt.
doofer

Post by doofer »

I am using an RX 480 8GB with Crimson 16.12.1/16.50 and not had any problems at all, I even dared to try their new ReLive thing expecting numerous problems and have been pleasantly surprised by it so far, I always use DDU and completely clean install, it's the only way to go with AMD drivers! :D

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”