No Mans Sky

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
minamo99
Spotter

No Mans Sky

Post by minamo99 »

Saw there wasn't a topic about it yet, so I figured I'd put one up.

No Mans Sky is an space exploration game that is incredibly large (18 quintillion planets!) and focuses on trading, exploring, mining and science. You can name creatures if you find them, and literally each planet is unique, so you can be sure you find something nobody else found. It is to be released on te 9th of august, and is the first in it's kind!

Here's some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-uMFHoF8VA 20 minutes of gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Oaf6Ol8U4 most recent trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqeN6hj4dZU live demo at the colbert show (funny)

Cheers!

Hank
JK_ElkHunter
Outfitter

Re: No Mans Sky

Post by JK_ElkHunter »

I've been following the game since they announced it a while back, pre-ordered it last week and can't wait to actually get my hands on it. I really like the exploration part of it and the species that you'll encounter while going to new planets.

Once the game comes out and I have some time with it I'll definitely post here again if it's worth it.
Spoiler:

hunterPRO1
Outfitter

Post by hunterPRO1 »

that looks awesome
"you win some, you lose some, you wreck some."
Spoiler:
McNukki
Spotter

Post by McNukki »

I try to get it tomorrow :) Looks awesome
Cartoon Head
Hunter

Post by Cartoon Head »

This looks interesting, never even heard of it until yesterday, I must have been living under a rock.

Watched a few videos yesterday, they were people just starting really, what is the meat of the game? Exploring? Is there any combat? What are the chances fo bumping in to others?
McNukki
Spotter

Post by McNukki »

Cartoon Head wrote:This looks interesting, never even heard of it until yesterday, I must have been living under a rock.

Watched a few videos yesterday, they were people just starting really, what is the meat of the game? Exploring? Is there any combat? What are the chances fo bumping in to others?

First of all you have to repair your spaceship with the ores on this planet.. Iron, Iridium..

From what I know the main factor is to explore planets and farming ores and other stuff. You can scan the area with your scanner and if you see a new species that no one ever seen before you can give it a name and it will stay like this. So if other players ever land on this planet they see the animal with your name tag. You can explore the planet and find new species that you can talk with but first you have to learn the language of them. From what I heard its a big big multiplayer game with billions of planets

That´s all I know.

I´m hyped I really want the game
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

As far as I know (from watching preview videos) not only all the planets, but also all the species and their characteristics are procedurally generated and so there's practically unlimited possibilities. As already mentioned by others: if you explore or find something new (that no other player has found before), you can name it and new species will keep their names for all the other players. Which gives the game a real feeling of exploring a huge world probably...

I would love to try it, but all of the games I recently bought - even if they were fun - met the same fate: they couldn't keep me from playing tH and gathered dust very soon. :)
Image Image Image
Chranos
Spotter

Post by Chranos »

McNukki wrote: From what I heard its a big big multiplayer game with billions of planets
Definitely big, and billions isn't even close...........it's 18 quintillion!! It'd take you billions of years to explore them all!

It's also not multiplayer in the traditional sense. No co-op or pvp and such. Basically you might see someones name if they discovered something.
Cartoon Head
Hunter

Post by Cartoon Head »

Im still unsure, I want to get this for the weekend but what is htere to do afte that initial exploration of the 1st planet?

Are there any battles? Any PvE Elements? I'm not sure what there is to do in this game but it looks so pretty.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Cartoon Head wrote:Im still unsure, I want to get this for the weekend but what is htere to do afte that initial exploration of the 1st planet?

Are there any battles? Any PvE Elements? I'm not sure what there is to do in this game but it looks so pretty.
I've read one review yesterday that bashed it quite a bit. Too repetitive, bad AI and very restricted simulation aspects, planets and other species aren't really that different in gameplay and battle seems to rather boring. I'd at least check some more videos or reviews before buying it tbh. It's not that cheap to buy it just for the initial hype!
Image Image Image

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”