Iris Pro Graphics

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
iz_da
Scout

Iris Pro Graphics

Post by iz_da »

Hello everybody,
my Dell AIO needs replacement. I have a constantly flashing screen, it's a nightmare. Warranty? Expired. Repair it? There seems to be no available fix.

I was wondering if any of you have made experiences with Iris Pro Graphics and theHunter (and other games like GTA V)?
Is the Iris Pro really as good as they say?
Spoiler:
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: Iris Pro Graphics

Post by Fletchette »

While they have certainly improved, I would still recommend avoiding integrated graphics for gaming if you can.

Look here to see why: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.p ... s+Pro+6200
Personal Bests...
iz_da
Scout

Post by iz_da »

Well, I am actually looking at the 2nd generation Iris Pro.
And that one seems to work reasonably well according to this internet source: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Iris ... 272.0.html

Thank you for your input though. I am still inside the decision-making process, just trying to get a few opinions from the fellow hunters!
Spoiler:
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

iz_da wrote:Well, I am actually looking at the 2nd generation Iris Pro.
And that one seems to work reasonably well according to this internet source: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Iris ... 272.0.html

Thank you for your input though. I am still inside the decision-making process, just trying to get a few opinions from the fellow hunters!
That's a bit better, but not much. See here : http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.p ... 80&id=3481

As you can see in the graph above, even a low-end discrete graphics card, like the NVidia GTX 960 (about $170), is 3 times more powerful (faster), than the Iris Pro 580. Even the GTX 960 can barely hold 60FPS in this game @ 1080p (1920x1080), with max game-settings, so certainly a 580 is not going to. If you're going to play at lower resolution, then you can probably do OK, or by reducing the game graphics settings down to medium or so. Even the source you sighted says, "Modern games of 2015/2016 should be playable in medium settings." If that's good enough for you, then go for it. I just wanted to make sure you understood that those graphics will limit you now, and in the future.
Personal Bests...
willybepop
Hunter

Post by willybepop »

I have the Iris Pro in my Surface Pro 3. I can play TheHunter at the lowest resolution. This makes the trees blocky. I find that bow hunting is ok while I've had problems with the machine slowing down when looking through a scope. I'd suggest saving a little bit more and trying to get a system with a dedicated video card. You won't regret it.
iz_da
Scout

Post by iz_da »

Thank you for your input to the discussion.
I will not consider the Iris Pro anymore.

The thing is that I play theHunter in 2560x1440 with pretty much maximum settings at around 30fps. I can even play it on my ThinkPad with the integrated graphics at 1920x1080 in medium settings at 27fps. As long as it doesn't stutter, I'm happy.
However, experiencing the game on a 15" Laptop is a pain compared to the usual 27". Time to replace the PC, time for a GTX9xx.
Spoiler:
Buckkiller4
Hunter

Post by Buckkiller4 »

I used the iris pro graphics on my old computer and it isn't bad if you don't mind the graphics quality, as it changed for me throughout the sessions

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”