Question about weapon class in COTW

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss theHunter: Call of the Wild among themselves. The official theHunter: Call of the Wild forum can be found on Steam, here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/518790/discussions/
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Question about weapon class in COTW

Post by xAncalagonx »

How does the Weapon Class work in COTW?

I like hunting with the bow, and it says Weapon Class 3.

I'd like to hunt Moose with the bow (as I have in the Classic), however Moose says it requires Weapon Class 4.

So what does that mean? Will my kill not count if I use the bow on the Moose cause it's 'unethical' like in the Classic when using "wrong" weapons on different animals?

Or will it simply not kill the Moose at all ? (was pretty sure a compound bow has enough strength to kill a moose with a proper shot placement and at close enough distance).

Also, if I use a Class 3 weapon like the compound bow on something smaller, e.g. a Roe Deer which only requires Weapon Class 1, does this mean I also get an unethical kill or something from shooting the Roe Deer with a compound bow? Sort of like shooting a mallard with a 45-70 in the Classic?

I'm a bit confused with the Weapon Class thing.
fantamichele
Outfitter

Re: Question about weapon class in COTW

Post by fantamichele »

xAncalagonx wrote:How does the Weapon Class work in COTW?

I'd like to hunt Moose with the bow (as I have in the Classic), however Moose says it requires Weapon Class 4.

So what does that mean? Will my kill not count if I use the bow on the Moose cause it's 'unethical' like in the Classic when using "wrong" weapons on different animals?

Or will it simply not kill the Moose at all ? (was pretty sure a compound bow has enough strength to kill a moose with a proper shot placement and at close enough distance).

Also, if I use a Class 3 weapon like the compound bow on something smaller, e.g. a Roe Deer which only requires Weapon Class 1, does this mean I also get an unethical kill or something from shooting the Roe Deer with a compound bow? Sort of like shooting a mallard with a 45-70 in the Classic?

Arc class 1 uses arrows of 300 gr.
Arc class 2 uses arrows of 420 gr.
Arc class 3 uses arrows of 600 gr.
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Post by xAncalagonx »

fantamichele wrote:

so does that mean you can't hunt moose with bows cause moose is rated as Class 4 weapon needed?
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

xAncalagonx wrote:
fantamichele wrote:

so does that mean you can't hunt moose with bows cause moose is rated as Class 4 weapon needed?
The moose I hunted with arrows of 600 gr. and they were fine.
ehr_kimahn
Tracker

Post by ehr_kimahn »

with the arrows you have two type of compound bow. The first (Bearclay or razorback) with a power of 60 lb, the second (hawk edge) 70 lb. In real life it would be necessary to use the second. Ant for the arrows of 600 gr you can have 100% integrity for Elan.
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

You can shot the Moose with the regular Bow and 300gr arrow, but you have to shot precise to hit vital or prepare to a long track, 600gr means better punch, more penetration; same with .243 vs .270, 7mm, 45-70 and .338 you can shot a Moose with .243 soft bullets but you only will get one lung bellow 80mts above that don't recommend, for Elk, Moose, Bear, Red Deer if you only have .243 it's better to use the polymer bullet since have better penetration. Remember this is a game in many ways completely different to The Hunter Classic, the only way to earn money and unlock better ammo, weapon, lures, equipment etc is Doing Mission (more earning) and harvesting animals. A tip: coyotes gives you more money , but more difficult to hunt, try to unlock and buy the coyote caller and DON'T WASTE money building every tower you find.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

mapache01 wrote:A tip: coyotes gives you more money , but more difficult to hunt, try to unlock and buy the coyote caller and DON'T WASTE money building every tower you find.
Good tip. I would take it a step farther & say dont spend you money on any guns till you get the 7mm. You can use that to farm money for everything else easily.

I havent played CoTW in some time but will have to give rabbit hunting a try, it looks fun.

chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

in this game is important to keep good harvestvalue, it is calculated into final score of Your animal. You can use any weapon on any animal, e.g. .338 to shoot rabbits or birdshots for moose, but bleeding time / trophy integrity will be low -> low score = low XP nad cash. those numbers in the store are just recommended. IMO, .338 is owerpovered, best results are with 7mm magnum on bigger animals and .243 on smaller. also keep in mind, You have to use particular weapon category, to unlock other guns, ammo and accesories for that category - shooting with rifle will not unlock bows/shotguns or pistols, just rifles.
So YOu can use the basic bow and basic arrows to hunt moose, just the results could be dissapointing. You will have to aim really preciselly.
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Post by xAncalagonx »

mapache01 wrote:You can shot the Moose with the regular Bow and 300gr arrow, but you have to shot precise to hit vital or prepare to a long track, 600gr means better punch, more penetration; same with .243 vs .270, 7mm, 45-70 and .338 you can shot a Moose with .243 soft bullets but you only will get one lung bellow 80mts above that don't recommend, for Elk, Moose, Bear, Red Deer if you only have .243 it's better to use the polymer bullet since have better penetration. Remember this is a game in many ways completely different to The Hunter Classic, the only way to earn money and unlock better ammo, weapon, lures, equipment etc is Doing Mission (more earning) and harvesting animals. A tip: coyotes gives you more money , but more difficult to hunt, try to unlock and buy the coyote caller and DON'T WASTE money building every tower you find.
Thanks for this.

So basically it doesn't matter how SMALL the gun is, e.g. using a Class 1 gun vs Class 3 animal is fine. It ONLY matters how BIG the gun is, e.g. shooting Class 1 animal (like Redfox) with a Class 4 weapon (like the .338 big game rifle) would automatically ruin integrity bonus.

I also read about integrity that shooting an animal more than once would drop integrity bonus to 0%. So shooting a big animal repeatedly with a small gun will ruin the integrity bonus too.

All about making the first shot count I guess... and I like that. That's how the hunting should be.

I've been using the 60lbs Lite BearClaw bow so far with 450gr arrows. I don't have the Archer score to use the 300gr arrows yet, and unlocking the 600gr arrows takes like 3500 archer score which is crazy!!! I only get about +50 Archer score per animal I kill. Going to need to get a lotta hunting done to get those torpedo arrows :D
chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

xAncalagonx wrote:So basically it doesn't matter how SMALL the gun is, e.g. using a Class 1 gun vs Class 3 animal is fine. It ONLY matters how BIG the gun is, e.g. shooting Class 1 animal (like Redfox) with a Class 4 weapon (like the .338 big game rifle) would automatically ruin integrity bonus.
not exactly. small gun doesn't ruin integrity bonus, but is usually weak to kill animal instantly, so it will ruin bleeding time bonus.

Return to “theHunter: Call of the Wild”