Which rifle to go for?

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss theHunter: Call of the Wild among themselves. The official theHunter: Call of the Wild forum can be found on Steam, here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/518790/discussions/
knott
Outfitter

Re: Which rifle to go for?

Post by knott »

Gah I misunderstood. Was looking for the biggest red deer ever but it´s the bonus scores that determine the rating? I shot a 7 very hard and got no rating whatsoever and got silver on a minor. I need to get 100 % on all three bonuses? Question is which rifle give the best odds for red deer. the .223? I got a couple of silvers at best.

And what factors come into play? Distance? Maybe I should go at it with a bow?
chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

I have shot one gold red deer, .243 or .270, polymer tip bullet.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

How many hours did it take :)
chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

knott wrote:How many hours did it take :)
in fact not many. it was one of my firsts red deer, maybe the first one. I shot him at petershaim, close to the lodge. I am not sure, If I had .270 at that moment. but probably yes.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

I guess you must aim for the soft stuff so no brain or spine shots?

I just bought the .45-70 only hold 3 cartridges and need only has a 4-8x scope bought separately. I was initially planning to go for shotgun slugs but takes so much time leveling up for them. I am half way to the pump action. Do quite well with black bear but feels like it lacks a punch. But may just be my iron sight aiming :)
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

7mm is not overkill for bear though. Going for lower caliber really help with the integrity bonus duh but I have absolutely no idea what dictates gold. I get all three bonuses at 100 % but I can still get a no score in the ratings. Then I hit a minor with no bonuses and it´s silver??? The one with no rating was a flesh and heart shot but that was not rated highly :p

In a weak moment and having all the items I aim for still locked I bought the .223. Seem proper for red fox and coyote but even blacktail you almost must have broadside to get a single lung. But they can run forever on a single lung shot with a .223.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Bought the -30.30 rifle. Only 7mm left for a complete collection. Performs predictably bad just like in the Hunter Classic. But this only hold 4 shots. It can´t penetrate roe skin at 220 metre it seems. I had the roe reacting but remaining in place had to put 4 shots in and I was waiting between each shot. First one was the one doing real damage but still only flesh. On a big red deer at around 50 metres broadside I got a single lung and it didn´t walk to far. But it´s not the rifle to go for gold with I recon. Roes and fallows at close range perhaps.

.45-70 is disappointing with bison as well .338 do more damage with one then 45-70 with three at times...
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

I had such a frustrating time with the 45-70 and wildboar. It´s certainly not the .45-70 cannon from the Hunter Classic! Or it´s the hollow point ammo that is the disaster.

Also there is some dyslexia in EW I believe. I got rifle score on the pump shotgun but it´s a permanent bug. It count as rifle not shotgun. So the extreme quest for slugs was just delayed some hours still at 1981 and some 20 hours to go I would recon unless I get lucky to get a stuck herd. Pump shotgun reload seem almost as fast as the O/U and it works well. Just wish the shotgun perk would apply for this as well but well you can get three shots in where as the ordinary only gives two.
Zaggidk
Tracker

Post by Zaggidk »

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... D3yFW4bjop if anyone needs to see what the stuff looks like, i miss the 223 and 45.70 else i've got all the rifles covered, if you need to take a look before splashing out a lot of money on any guns! They're all in the playlist :)
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

The 30-30 rifle is great for hunting 100 % integrity on deer. Roes, fallows is 100 % integrity and of course the bigger game. But Red Deer can be a bit tricky of course to get the quick kill bonus but may have just enough to get a spine shot. Tthe .243 I thought I had a perfect spine shot had a level 45 degrees from above but it could not penetrate the skin of a fallow :( 7mm I don´t like 0 integrity on deer and wild boar and I easilly get 100 % integrity on moose and bison with the .338. Both suffer really low reload times which matters more for the 7mm then for the .338 in general ;)

.270 is a bit op for deer and underpowered for the bigger game but with perks they have about as fast follow up shots as the lever actions. Actually may be faster dunno. If integrity don´t matter and you hate tracking it´s absolutely superb for deer. Haven´t played a lot with the .45-70 since the patch.

Return to “theHunter: Call of the Wild”