First impressions, thoughts, im surprised...

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss theHunter: Call of the Wild among themselves. The official theHunter: Call of the Wild forum can be found on Steam, here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/518790/discussions/
Blind Mole
Outfitter

First impressions, thoughts, im surprised...

Post by Blind Mole »

Hi hunters, friends and dev's...

FIRST: For those old players and old good friends who knows and remember me: add me in steam IF sometimes interested to hunt together in new game: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198130917560/

NOW my impresions :)

BEFORE RELEASE: Old players i think remember my rage quit from classic game. I did that after many years of patience, after patiently spending cash (almost 1k euros left in classic), after trying to be optimistic and just patiently waiting for serious game fixes, for not producing new bugs, etc etc etc.
With that mood and opinion about classic game management i got info that new hunter come soon. I just wondered: how crap new game may be, how arcade gameplay, how badly will be managed payment system, etc etc etc. I was incredibly pesimistic about upcomming game. Later i just saw beta test stream (im not won beta ticked, and sure i was dissapointed that dev's was not sent some for loyal players and just started random lottery). After watching stream i just said "what a poopoo this game are, its zero gameplay with just walking for hours with light on head. And forgot.

AFTER RELEASE: After game released i was curious how good/bad reviews game got in first day after release. Opened steam and started read. Not surprised that found most negative in average. But continued to reading. After around 50 negative reviews i decided to.. BUY GAME :) And after first couple hours of gaming i just said "CANT BELIEVE, OMG, SO NICE, GOOD JOB, AMAZING..." and after couple hours just forced two my friend to buy it also (both played old hunter for years also). Now i can say for myself: after 37 hours of gameplay im pretty satisfied what i got and will never regret about spent money for a team which was so much dissapointed with classic game. Sure it was lyrics...

Now my impressions about specific in-game things:

1. Graphic engine: everything works fine except some textures in sun light. Something wrong with shaders when textures come "aquarelic, muddy" on sunlight. Especially autumn threes in hirsh map. At evenings and night all textures looking amazing. Perfomance good enought for me (crap fx6300 + crap GTX1050Ti), i can play on everything maxed at 40 fps everywhere, but infact that i dont like having too much shaders effects in any game - i play slighlty downed settings and have stable 60 fps at 1080p and decent picture to enjoy nature.
2. Character progression system: its perfect for me. Grinding guns, XP / Money system, to unlock next stuff, having sense with each simply females (which was useless in classic) satisfied me more than.
3. AI: animals AI is strange sometimes. I cant understand are AI working like dev's planned, or animals bugged sometimes, so cant judge that. If its bugs, hope it may be solved soon. And hope to get more experince with interacting with them to make more clear opinion for myself. Its still big question for me. Anyway its not annoying so much. We will see later.
4. New benefits like automatic "Personal best" record sharing via friends trought theyr clients when they can see that anytime. Amazing decision to add that in game... "Trash zones" makes game incredible interesting and hunt on maps more dinamicaly. Feed zones, rest zones system which my be used like temporary "feeders" in classic game.. So many nice new things dev's have done instead of just releasing some arcade crap for kid. For me classic hunter looks more arcade now, whit possibility to spawn mash or primitive call any animal into exact pixel on map :)

Many things must be still improved/fixed but in total im pretty happy that this version of hunter was released and i have ability to enjoy it :)

And for the end, what i miss from classic hunter here, and believe it may be released later, only that we dont have it now:
1. Treestands, tripods, groundblinds (those towers which we can build on maps now are pretty useless because have very uncomfortable build spots) :)
2. Official dayly competitions on all types of species.
3. Standalone official game forum instead of crap steam forum system. (having this one folder for all posts in not enought)
4. Old good friends.

As allways - sry for my crap english knowledge.

Thx for new game, dev's. Can say that to you after many years again :)
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Re: First impressions, thoughts, im surprised...

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Blind Mole wrote: Later i just saw beta test stream (im not won beta ticked, and sure i was disappointed that dev's was not sent some for loyal players
You said you quit. That's not loyalty, unless you count money spent as loyalty, and we all know that is not what buys loyalty on either side. I wouldn't have given you a beta ticket either.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Macagod
Hunter

Post by Macagod »

While I'm enjoying the overall experience (Something different). I'm amazed at the amount of issues with core mechanic functionality for a "released title" and would presume there was QA testing along with the open access beta. But a lot of the features you've stated above like the zone system, over hunting certain areas (can't remember what it is called) are great additions, while animal behavioural attributes could still be expanded upon. Still even with the issues an enjoyable experience.

The title has some great potential of being quite uniquely different from TheHunter Classic, shame about the release.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Macagod wrote:...over hunting certain areas (can't remember what it is called) are great additions
"Hunting Pressure" :)

You get purple spots on the map that stay for too long imo. I also like the idea, but if you bow shoot an animal that never runs, how can you build hunting pressure? I hope they tweak this a bit at some point, but right now they have lots of basics to fix.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

HooCairs wrote:You get purple spots on the map that stay for too long imo. I also like the idea, but if you bow shoot an animal that never runs, how can you build hunting pressure? I hope they tweak this a bit at some point, but right now they have lots of basics to fix.
And if you shoot, but don't hit an animal, how can you not build hunting pressure?

I'm also still ambivalent if the purple areas stay too long. It feels this way at the beginning of the game, but once you have access over most of the map (several outposts), it's probably fine and forces you to change your location regularly.
Image Image Image
Macagod
Hunter

Post by Macagod »

HooCairs wrote:
Macagod wrote:...over hunting certain areas (can't remember what it is called) are great additions
"Hunting Pressure" :)

You get purple spots on the map that stay for too long imo. I also like the idea, but if you bow shoot an animal that never runs, how can you build hunting pressure? I hope they tweak this a bit at some point, but right now they have lots of basics to fix.
That is what it is called, cheers HooCairs. ;)

Completely agree with the time period, but as Tanngnjostr stated once you've more access to other outposts then the effects of the hunting pressure are limited. Still a great concept which obviously needs some balancing and silent bow hunting shouldn't affect the hunting pressure at the same rate as rifles.
HooCairs wrote:
Macagod wrote: but right now they have lots of basics to fix.
I'll give the dev's credit for a fantastic looking game, but graphics may look nice but the core basic functionality is what keeps individuals playing and a lot of fixes are needed. Oh, and at the moment the gameplay is run, hear warning, call or get LoS and bang, with some of the concepts (game mechanics) like pressure, feeding and sleeping zones I was hoping for a more tactical approach when it came to hunting (Hopefully some tweaks and balancing along with some fixes)

Return to “theHunter: Call of the Wild”