TheHunter (classic) players What is your appreciation of this new game ?

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss theHunter: Call of the Wild among themselves. The official theHunter: Call of the Wild forum can be found on Steam, here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/518790/discussions/
xInvictusxPlayx

Re: TheHunter (classic) players What is your appreciation of this new game ?

Post by xInvictusxPlayx »

I will be honest, I expected it to be a 'The Hunter v2.0' game as had not really followed what was happening.

This means that, upon loading the game, I am slightly disappointed as it is much more linear in terms of 'New game' and 'continue' (as opposed to dropping in and out of 'hunts' in classic.

I think for me the style of game is more

TheHunter - Drop in, play as and when, chill, hunt what you like etc.
COTW - more progress orientated.

Due to this, I hope both games continue to be supported as, whilst I am by no means a particularly active player, I do enjoy Classic and will be giving COTW a fair shot.

In terms of COTW, I haven't played it much yet but graphics are sublime, movement is generally good so I am excited to see how it develops.
ehr_kimahn
Tracker

Post by ehr_kimahn »

My licence for Classic is end, I play for some time COTW. The gameplay is very different that Classic. There are too many tracks of animals everywhere, I do not have the impression to be in a simulator of hunting, contrary in classic. it is more arcade/casual, Moreover, I play with a controller Xbox one, because the game is more designed for a controller than a keyboard + mouse. There are more possibilities of movements with a controller. It is a good game for those who do not know Thehunter:classic or for console.

The landscapes are very beautiful and immersive. But the last map for Classic is very beautiful also, only big difference with the last map it is a denser vegetation in COTW. But it is a good work ! It is a simulator of photography of landscape !

I think that I am going to like playing this game to relax me. COTW and classics are two very different games with common points.

But incredible the number of bugs in COTW (the menu of the map does not work correctly with a controller, the screen of the telephone is sometimes transparent, we cannot show the menu with the principal controller, etc.)
ehr_kimahn
Tracker

Post by ehr_kimahn »

i find the game very interesting and beautiful, if we deactivate all options of game (display of sounds, display of particles above tracks, display informations etc.). The modelling of rifles is more interesting than in thehunter:classic, but, compound bows less..., see my other post.

It would be difficult to return to the maps of thehunter:classic, so the atmosphere and landscape immersion is better in COTW. Only the last map of classic can compete.

It is a pity there are so many unsolved bugs. Particulary, animations and behaviors of the bears. The last update changed nothing (as in Primal).
ehr_kimahn
Tracker

Post by ehr_kimahn »

If I wrap up my comments :

The atmosphere of this game with the cycles days/night and meteorological associated to the landscapes is excellent. The display of a bigger distance on a game, both available maps are very big, do it more nice.

But disappointment within my first hours, the gameplay much more simplistic and easier than in Thehunter:classic. Too easy tracking, overpopulation of animals, to hunt the females of cervids brings reports points (sic!), bug of the animations and the behavior of animals (the bear in particular), the movements have a small impact on the behavior of animals (Except to move in the direction of the wind), the camo clothes are of no use, and are not useful. Nevertheless, there are very good ideas : the aim of the rifle is modelled well and more credible than in Thehunter:classic, the choice of arrows for the compound is an interesting addition, new behavior of animals was modelled.

But if we deactivate most of the parameters of assistants in game : no display of the shouts of animals, no very ugly particles above tracks, no cone of tracking on the ground, no highlighting of the alive or dead animals, the game become a real interest, and I like very much to play it. it seems as well as the last patch decreased the population in game.

Other point, in thehunter:classic i use the bow and sometime the crossbow. I put the bow in COTW. The models are the same as in TheHunter:classic (except the unrealistic camo color). No improvement for the ballistic or the appearance, only for the choice of arrows. I find to use a bow easier than in TheHunter:Classic. About is the wound, even not vital, the animal dies very (too) fast.... and never "jump string"

The extra, I find the game completely adapted to use with a Xbox controller, it is even necessary to use keyboard+mouse because we can modulate the speed of movement and noise effect. In game, I use only the Xbox One. It does not impact the aim, because being a hunting game, it is necessary to wait that the animal is not anymore in fast movement to shoot, what is often the case in game if we remain discreet, or if we use a Call. It's perfectly comfortable.

Well now I like COTW, it’s a good game and good time of relaxation. Not so rich in contents as Thehunter:classic for the moment, but the beauty of the landscapes, the size of maps, general atmosphere, some improvement do it attractive. I bought the DLC of tents - which I find too expensive- because it is an aspect which missed me in game: be able to put a tent wherever in the map and to leave this point to the following session. I think Thehunter:classic is outdated and dead if EW Continue the development of COTW.

I hope to see a port of the maps "The Alps - Val des bois », outdated in TheHunter:classic, more different species in the already present maps, and improvement of compound bow.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

After a long time off revisited Hirschfelden the last couple of days and am I imagining things or have they reduced the animal population heavilly? I do remember it as a bit more action packed then classic but now I can walk for 45 minutes without even see a single track! And it´s not one hunt its just about every hunt is like that despite trying to be effective moving ground and tent spawning... I took the 4-wheeler and blasted through to put up some tents and I saw amazingly few tracks while covering such distances. Feed zones is rediscovered very slowly.

Have to revisit layton on that reserve it´s always action just like RFF in the hunter classic. My last experience is medved taiga and also that was way more action packed.

I also noticed there is a bug now where every track show that the animals is bleeding very low. Though there is no blood tracks. Wonder if they are extra stressed because when you find a track you preally have to run to catch up roe deer and wild boars on occasion. But then if they move around like that why do I not find their tracks more frequently?
ehr_kimahn
Tracker

Post by ehr_kimahn »

knott wrote:After a long time off revisited Hirschfelden the last couple of days and am I imagining things or have they reduced the animal population heavilly? I do remember it as a bit more action packed then classic but now I can walk for 45 minutes without even see a single track! And it´s not one hunt its just about every hunt is like that despite trying to be effective moving ground and tent spawning... I took the 4-wheeler and blasted through to put up some tents and I saw amazingly few tracks while covering such distances. Feed zones is rediscovered very slowly.

Have to revisit layton on that reserve it´s always action just like RFF in the hunter classic. My last experience is medved taiga and also that was way more action packed.

I also noticed there is a bug now where every track show that the animals is bleeding very low. Though there is no blood tracks. Wonder if they are extra stressed because when you find a track you preally have to run to catch up roe deer and wild boars on occasion. But then if they move around like that why do I not find their tracks more frequently?
yes I also have this impression. I find it better than when it released, even if animal pathfinding and animations are sometimes buggy. I play now on PS4 (pro). I find the game more suitable for console use. And the landscapes are sublime. The content has been enriched : tent, quad etc. and soon bow and crossbow.

I hope to see mountains animals species (ibex, bighorn etc.) in COTW
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

mountain animals would really add to exploring up in the hills / mountains. i really enjoy going up high exploring. getting up there to see ibex mountain goats maybe the odd glimpse of a cat escaping would really add to the experience.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Funny how a lot of new Classic players say they migrated from the arcade game. Never knew classic existed until they discovered it on Steam or somewhere else while playing CoTW.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

stancomputerhunter wrote:Funny how a lot of new Classic players say they migrated from the arcade game. Never knew classic existed until they discovered it on Steam or somewhere else while playing CoTW.
I was one of them. Honestly I have only played CoTW once since installing Classic. Sure CoTW is prettier but Classic is worlds better!

Now what they need to do change the playstyle of CoTW to match Classic, migrate the content & call it CoTW Classic. Hell, I would buy all the stuff over again but hopefully they would offer a discount for legacy players. Animals from BRR & PB wouldnt work but the rest of the animals they could fit in the existing reserves with no trouble at all.

ehr_kimahn
Tracker

Post by ehr_kimahn »

stancomputerhunter wrote:Funny how a lot of new Classic players say they migrated from the arcade game. Never knew classic existed until they discovered it on Steam or somewhere else while playing CoTW.
Yes i stop playing classic for the moment. The maps are very old and outdated. There are also problems of AI pathfinding in Classic (dogs or wild animals that get stuck in rocks, trees etc.). There is just Timbergold Trails that I find very pretty and great. I hope to see this map with the gaphic engine of COTW. Thehunter Classic has taken a shot of old too in its mechanisms. COTW has improved a lot since its release and has gained in realism. I disable lot of ATH options and it's great for immersion / realism. However it's still a game and it's not a serious game. Classic's interest is its important content for years. But COTW continues to be developed and becomes also interesting.Finally a game of hunting is played very well on console.

Return to “theHunter: Call of the Wild”