TheHunter (classic) players What is your appreciation of this new game ?

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss theHunter: Call of the Wild among themselves. The official theHunter: Call of the Wild forum can be found on Steam, here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/518790/discussions/
ehr_kimahn
Tracker

Re: TheHunter (classic) players What is your appreciation of this new game ?

Post by ehr_kimahn »

Thank you for your experiences.

I looked for a simulator of bow hunting, and I found thehunter (classic ) for it. Which seems to me the best in this domain for the moment. Besides, no limitation when we hunt with bow in the game. All the reserves and species are can be hunted with a basic licence (no "ethic" restriction).

I hoped with COTW, a more realistic game (visual, behavior of animals, hunting experience, bow ballistic and equipments, etc.). Of messages that I read, it does not seem, execpt for the vegetation and the reserves. Lot of players do a reference to their experience in the Cabela's games, and not thehunter... A series which I do not like, too much arcade.

For the moment, I have an active license for classic (the last map is very great). I am thus going to wait a little and to see so expansive worlds and Avalanche, rectify the game for more realism and improve it (fix bugs etc.). My bad experience with Primal (Primal never be a finished release, lot of bugs) makes that I am a little wary. And I shall see if it is a good game for the bow hunting.
Last edited by ehr_kimahn on February 20th, 2017, 5:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

My observations after a week

Graphics: better - more realistic rocks, vegetation, animals look much more like the original, however the engine does not seem 7 years ahead of the old one

Physics: slightly better - ability to jump, still no running water

Interface: just as bad - small texts, requires multiple clicks, buying and equipping not very intuitive, missing useful store descriptions, cannot pause game(!)

Map: worse - very inconsistent where it opens and at what zoom

Animal behavior: better - wind plays a lot bigger role when luring, need zones really matter now

Animal animations: much worse - bear standing up and getting down in an instant, deer laying down and getting up in an instant, animations when hit are pretty poor

Weapons: about the same

Skill system: better - rifle score e.g. matters for all rifles, freedom to develop different skills

Tracking: much worse - a lot of work to hit each track

Weather: about the same - rain feels like it is everywhere now, not just around the player, wind can be extremely loud

Guidance: much better - almost overdone at times ("there should be a track nearby" even after many hours of playing), sometime it feels making the game easy was a main driver

Missions: better - all is done in-game, lots of guidance, very versatile

Overall gameplay: worse - very arcade (e.g. run until getting a warning call, then luring the warned animal over right away), very repetitive

Long term motivation: worse - no competitions or leaderboards, very repetitive gameplay
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Zaggidk
Tracker

Post by Zaggidk »

I think that HooCairs pretty much sums up how about I feel about this game so far too, it's alright for now, but it surely has more of a Elder Scrolls - like Skyrim or so feel to it than actual thehunter, there needs to be some kind of long term events coming up, just like the competitions in the classic, that is basicly what drives me the most - for now it seems to just get the biggest gun as fast as possible, and kill more - weapon achievments could also have been a thing imo.

But i'll give it some more time before I start to throw it all away and go back to THC. For now I havent even tried Hirschfelden yet, and only feel like im a 1/3 done exploring Layton.. again, a skyrim feel.. :)
AmbushPredator
Scout

Post by AmbushPredator »

knott wrote:The wounded animations so lifelike when they limp :(

Struggled a bit with the inventory interface. I think it took 10 minutes for me to figure out how to purchase ammo and how to actually have it all in my inventory but shouldn´t be a problem now. You need to get all items moved to the right. It´s not enough though you also have to have the ammo in the first round slot not the second. Seem to be no limit for how much ammo to take with you only weight limitations?
Bullet hit reactions are ace on TH:CotW, much more lifelike than Classic. A pity the 'death poses' all seem a bit samey when you run up to claim the trophy.

I agree that the interface isn't intuitive. It mirrors a lot of the RPG type games, and it's quite a trick to switch your brain back from Classic interface. But both games are well worth the perseverance.
ehr_kimahn
Tracker

Post by ehr_kimahn »

AmbushPredator wrote:
knott wrote: I agree that the interface isn't intuitive. It mirrors a lot of the RPG type games, and it's quite a trick to switch your brain back from Classic interface. But both games are well worth the perseverance.
It's seem be adapted for console (use with controller).
phil1
Hunter

Post by phil1 »

Just a few observations:

1. Game engine: A tweaked version of that seen in Mad Max (2015) and the Just Cause franchise (2009, 2010 and 2014) not a completely new engine.. and that is why this engine 'doesn't seem 7 years ahead of the old one.' (edited: Not having a pop at Hoocairs and his quotation, just trying to explain that it's not a completely new engine, just a tweaked one.)

2. The North America map was obviously released in haste (I'm guessing that it was going to be the first DLC, but had to be released due to the animals being used in promotional materials for the game), lie down on a scree texture and you can see underneath the terrain.

3. I've shot plenty of animals and had several where no tracks exist in the area where they were shot or seen.

4. The hitboxes are woeful.

5. I've hit animals that drop to the ground in a dead pose, stand up, shoot them again, drop to the ground... rinse and repeat.

6. Delayed announcement of upgrades, perks, skill levels, XP and cash until the next harvest/unlocking.

7. Some constructables not able to be constructed in North America and don't appear on the map. (probably caused by point 2.)

8. Unbelievable level requirements for some items in the store, Red Deer caller? LVL39 ?(IIRC)

9. Slow down of movement after prolonged tracking of a wounded animal. (Procedural solution change to a weapon and the speed will pick up, if it doesn't work first time RNR.)

10. Apart from the introduction of player damage and possible optimisation improvements, this is the Beta version and that is what is most disappointing!

Please understand my disappointment, this is a release version... not early access or beta, but EW chose to fully release it in this state.

This could be such a great game.

I'm sure that fixes can be introduced, but it is obvious that it wasn't ready to go on the date of release. Why have beta testers if you're not going to listen to them and implement the fixes necessary and take the time needed to sort it out properly.

Anyway, rants like this are why I don't get invited to beta test, I'm not a 'yes man' (I'm not always a no man) but I'll always call it as I see it.

Once again... This could be such a great game.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

ehr_kimahn wrote:
AmbushPredator wrote:
knott wrote: I agree that the interface isn't intuitive. It mirrors a lot of the RPG type games, and it's quite a trick to switch your brain back from Classic interface. But both games are well worth the perseverance.
It's seem be adapted for console (use with controller).
Not sure I didn´t find it working better with my xbox one elite controller anyway. There is a big glorious emission in a no hotkey for camera unless I miss something? You need a programmable device to hotkey that. But just about every keyboard or similar is programmable these days so it´s not really a problem but still strange oversight. If I use gamepad It´s mapped.

I don´t understand how animations is better in the classic. It virtually don´t have animations. It´s animatrons moving particularly the deer in the Hunter classic.
DarkLord
Scout

Post by DarkLord »

The single most annoying thing about this game is that the devs gave several of the smaller pine saplings a full player blocking collision. These plants are used extensively throughout the world and they are a major hindrance to navigation. You see these two trees, you cannot walk between these two trees. I hate these plants. I might start a forest fire to clear them out.

Spoiler:
Dirtclod
Outfitter

Post by Dirtclod »

Very limited play so far but for what I've seen? I agree with HooCairs assessment. Gonna wait to see what the next patch helps. Probably keep it but will probably end up playing the classic more.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

HooCairs wrote:My observations after a week

Graphics: better - more realistic rocks, vegetation, animals look much more like the original, however the engine does not seem 7 years ahead of the old one

Physics: slightly better - ability to jump, still no running water

Interface: just as bad - small texts, requires multiple clicks, buying and equipping not very intuitive, missing useful store descriptions, cannot pause game(!)

Map: worse - very inconsistent where it opens and at what zoom

Animal behavior: better - wind plays a lot bigger role when luring, need zones really matter now

Animal animations: much worse - bear standing up and getting down in an instant, deer laying down and getting up in an instant, animations when hit are pretty poor

Weapons: about the same

Skill system: better - rifle score e.g. matters for all rifles, freedom to develop different skills

Tracking: much worse - a lot of work to hit each track

Weather: about the same - rain feels like it is everywhere now, not just around the player, wind can be extremely loud

Guidance: much better - almost overdone at times ("there should be a track nearby" even after many hours of playing), sometime it feels making the game easy was a main driver

Missions: better - all is done in-game, lots of guidance, very versatile

Overall gameplay: worse - very arcade (e.g. run until getting a warning call, then luring the warned animal over right away), very repetitive

Long term motivation: worse - no competitions or leaderboards, very repetitive gameplay
So, Hoo..what's the verdict? Are you going to "come home" to tHC?

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29

Return to “theHunter: Call of the Wild”