Introducing theHunter: Call of the Wild

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss theHunter: Call of the Wild among themselves. The official theHunter: Call of the Wild forum can be found on Steam, here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/518790/discussions/
Cireme
Master Competitor

Re: Introducing theHunter: Call of the Wild

Post by Cireme »

mikeman1 wrote:Can you hunt all species at night?
Yes you can.
krokenosterfant
Scout

Post by krokenosterfant »

The COTW map is huge, but I'm not to sure with your statement Tod1d. I have already traveled and unlocked the entire map on the beta and that is with around 20hrs of play. Now I have played pushing 1500hrs, I think, on the classic and i have yet to see big parts of most of the reserves, never mind WRR and TgT, and I use a lot of tents. Maybe it's because COTW is a more run and gun game where classic is more "stealth". Anyways I spent today hunting the revamped bears and in my opinion the classic is the ultimate hunting game. Pretty graphics only takes you so far, and it's not like the classic is sore on the eyes either
RMWolf

Post by RMWolf »

I was able to test the beta for kindness of a member of this forum, who gave me a key, at least six hours of game last night. I did not feel an easy game, I don’t know if they corrected the AI, but the reaction of the animals was quite realistic for me. I really liked the beta, incredible graphics, and I was able to shoot flat land to a deer 290 meters away, at last! What I did not like: When you go running there’s a feeling of slowness, of heaviness, like a kind of robocop. Sometimes when you going back the grass is as if you had a grass trimmer in your back. I hate the series of sounds you make when you pick up an animal or build a tower, for example. The menu inside the game I feel complicated, and indeed certain things and lights should be eliminated so as not to lose the great realism added by the high resolution graphics. I missed the free look a lot. I really like the sound and animation of the wind, I generally feel like a game with great potential, I'll probably buy it.
I hope classic TH can have that graphical quality someday and especially render distance…
freakzz

Post by freakzz »

In my opinion the huge size of the map isn't an advantage. I explored most parts of the map in CoW and most areas look the same. Don't get me wrong the graphics are impressive but there wasn't much remarkeable.
The Hunter Classic Maps have been made with more passion and variety.
CoW maps gave me the feeling they created it in less time with the opinion "Our effects and overall graphics are amazing, we don't have to waste much time on the map".

Just my point of view. Would be interesting what you think. I hope they will make a survey concerning the beta after it.
AngryBadger
Tracker

Post by AngryBadger »

I'm going to be stuck on Classic for the foreseeable future. CoTW doesn't run well on my system, it was OK to slog through the beta but I won't be playing it full time until I upgrade which won't be for a while.
jpm1
Outfitter

Post by jpm1 »

this is a link to beta survey background. if you want to use it as desktop background

https://surveymonkey-assets.s3.amazonaw ... 50e005.jpg
Skybird
Hunter

Post by Skybird »

Tod1d wrote:
Skybird wrote:What I would like to learn from Beta players, is the reserve size, compared to Classic maps.
It looks like the map is 12km x 12km (144 km²). Compared to WRR which is about 12km², or the entire huntable area in tHC (without TgT) is 100km²

Not all of that area is huntable, there is water on the east side, so maybe 120km²

With Tgt, tHC is probably close to that. So, about the same size as the EHR. But, it's all one reserve. And it looks like they's set it up to be expanded.
Thank you.

One wonders what could have been if such a huge and detailed reserve would be used for creating a serious, realistic survival type of simulation! Or an open sandbox like in ArmA it is possible to create.

Saw some more vids meanwhile. I cannot help to think of this game as a missed opportunity. Lovely landscape, although i saw not too much high grass. But compromising this effort with this kind of gameplay. Sad. Makes me wonder what devil has ridden them.
hours: >960 / Hunter Score: >8400
AngryBadger
Tracker

Post by AngryBadger »

One thing they definitely have to do is make holding your breath just a normal thing like it is in THC. It's crazy to make it a perk, the rifle moves way too much on the beginning.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

AngryBadger wrote:One thing they definitely have to do is make holding your breath just a normal thing like it is in THC. It's crazy to make it a perk, the rifle moves way too much on the beginning.
I think it was already changed during beta. On the second or third day of the beta you could hold your breath from the start, the perk just increased the time you could do so before you had to exhale.
Image Image Image
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

freakzz wrote:In my opinion the huge size of the map isn't an advantage. I explored most parts of the map in CoW and most areas look the same. Don't get me wrong the graphics are impressive but there wasn't much remarkeable.
The Hunter Classic Maps have been made with more passion and variety.
CoW maps gave me the feeling they created it in less time with the opinion "Our effects and overall graphics are amazing, we don't have to waste much time on the map".

Just my point of view. Would be interesting what you think. I hope they will make a survey concerning the beta after it.
Your argument is that CotW Hirschfelden, which includes old-Hirschfelden within in it's entirety, is not made with the same passion & variety as old-Hirschfelden? Come on, now. It contains all of old-Hirsch & is 8-9 times the size of the original. I saw many different changes in landscape that weren't included in original Hirsch that I thought were amazing. Tree farms, wind farms, felled forests, rolling cut corn fields, thick & open wooded areas, mountains, ruins, and so many other things. All due respect, I was personally blown away by the passion & detail that went into the map. It's a masterpiece. I have zero concerns about the map or anything art, animation, or audio related. Long-term success will hinge on variety, randomness of gameplay.

Return to “theHunter: Call of the Wild”