Post by HooCairs »

How do you rate Feral Hog

My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Exanimis
Hunter

Re: Feral Hog

Post by Exanimis »

I like everything about the Feral Hogs and rated them excellent in all but appearance. When the animals die the arm furthest from the ground always seems to pass through the chest. This little modeling mistake takes away from trophy shots and realism. This is still my favorite animal to hunt.
jpm1
Outfitter

Post by jpm1 »

poor compared to Cabela BGH pro hunts. no fur, not enough eating behaviour. pigs are known to eat almost everything they find. in TH they walk 80% of the time, sleep 5 %, squeal 10% and the other 5% only they eat. irl i think it would be something like eating 85% of the time at least
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Re: Feral Hog

Post by Dubitabilus »

Overall: 3.25 Average/Good

I like hunting hogs in the game but they really need an update.

The in-game model does not correctly reflect the internal anatomical/organ structure.
I have had many shots to the shoulder blade/rib cage only to get liver and intestine shots. The entry wounds clearly show as entering through the shoulder/ribs but yielding damage to stomach/liver/intestines. The current practice is to aim at the neck or straight to the brain.

The AI behaviour is a bit backwards.
As jpm1 mentioned years ago, hogs should be spending more of their time snout deep into the ground tearing up dirt looking for roots, grubs, fungus, etc... Currently, they're roaming and trotting most of the time. The bait and feeders give great shot opportunities as they're pigging out, but in the wild they're slowly ravaging forest undergrowth and plant beds for anything to eat.

Conversely, when lured by hog squeals, hogs tend to rush to the sound of a distressed, squealing piglet, not this cautious, stop-sniff-go like a deer. Feral hogs are not that skittish. The lured behavior should be more like Coyotes, where they trot straight to the area of the squeal. They'll be heading on over with authority.

There should be more snorting and grunting audio in addition to squealing.
I've heard a few snorts and grunts when I'm close enough for a bow, but it should be a more frequent, untrackable call like the bear's grunt or bobcats mew.
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

Return to “Animal Reviews”